• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What Capacitors did they use in vintage SGs?

chasenblues

From the images i just looked at looks like they used your basic .022 ceramic disk caps.

65sgst9.jpg

P1220451.jpg

64-SG-Special-Orig-Wiring.jpg

TM1

I've seen some early `60 & `61 SG's with the Sprague 160P's but a smaller version that what we normally see. I have a harness out in the shop with them. Only difference is the voltage rating.

Kris Ford

I've seen some early `60 & `61 SG's with the Sprague 160P's but a smaller version that what we normally see. I have a harness out in the shop with them. Only difference is the voltage rating.

Please post pics!

I did an EXHAUSTIVE search for these..but seems it's 99.99999% the ceramic discs for SGs...
For ES series though, they were used more often than not it seems..probably due to the fact that the wrinig was semi exposed, and not a good environment for a ceramic cap:
g6eyca0y9soob1lzcwzb.jpg

In fact, the ONLY pic of a SG with Sprague 160P Black Beauties on the entire Internet was actually yours..and that was an '05 that you built that way...I'm having an extremely difficult time finding any original examples..:hmm
DSC04305.jpg

Kris Ford

Gibson did use SPrague ceramic disc in the early 60s. Attached is a picture of one from my '62 standard along with a set of new old stock ones.

Yep, they sure did! Welcome by the way!
I have a nice stash (6 left I think...) of those NOS ones as well.... .02Z 50V:
s-l1600.jpg

I had the yellow tubing from LUXE, so I built a harness for my '61 RI with 2 of those NOS .02Zs...I think it really looks the part!
20170306_173842.jpg

Compared to a '64:

Last edited:

Antoinerob

Thanks Kris for the welcome.
In addition, just to mention these NOS discs sound really great! I did install both in my ´62. Worth the job!

60pinstripe

Yep, they sure did! Welcome by the way!
I have a nice stash (6 left I think...) of those NOS ones as well.... .02Z 50V:
s-l1600.jpg

I had the yellow tubing from LUXE, so I built a harness for my '61 RI with 2 of those NOS .02Zs...I think it really looks the part!
20170306_173842.jpg

Compared to a '64:

Any tone reports on how these sound?

Kris Ford

Any tone reports on how these sound?

I think the biggest benefit is the 50's wiring and 500K pots..the caps do their job of rolling off treble to ground.:peace2 These are the same caps that the early 60's SGs (and many other Gibsons) used..I think they get a bad rap because people must think they are cheap or something..they function as a cap should though, and many famous tones were achieved with these.

Plus they nail the look!:spabout