• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1971,1974 ??

Kris Ford

Great info guys, I kinda knew about the caps but not as much about cavity details, so a big thank you for sharing.

One of the things to listen for is the tone shift from round hole to square, as the round hole promotes even order harmonics whilst the square holes parallel walls cause a build up of short close reflections of odd harmonic resonant frequency content, right Kris?:spabout

Ahahaha!
Thanks man, I was waiting for that!:laugh2:

neuroy

Great info guys, I kinda knew about the caps but not as much about cavity details, so a big thank you for sharing.

One of the things to listen for is the tone shift from round hole to square, as the round hole promotes even order harmonics whilst the square holes parallel walls cause a build up of short close reflections of odd harmonic resonant frequency content, right Kris?:spabout

This is exactly the secret why Norlins sound better than the crappy overrated `50s guitars ! All about the route !
So we all know that heavy guitars sound the best : the bigger Spragues and witch hats add mass to the guitar, the later caps and knobs are lighter. so you have to get more weught to the guitar by using heavy strings !

Hey BigAl, so what are we gonna do now ? The secret we tried to hide for decades is now known by everyone !

This thread made me laugh many times ! BigAl, I admire you for still staying cool when so much ignorance is shown.....

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
Not a great pic, but hopefully you can see the weird angle of the cut, not toward the jack but toward the treble volume pot. And the hole is oblong here and at the switch hole. Not that this is of any interest to anyone but I just thought it was curious.

cavity_2.jpg

Kris Ford

Not a great pic, but hopefully you can see the weird angle of the cut, not toward the jack but toward the treble volume pot. And the hole is oblong here and at the switch hole. Not that this is of any interest to anyone but I just thought it was curious.

cavity_2.jpg

From the pic, it really kinda looks like the square channel, with rounded off sides???
(xxx) instead of [xx] or (x)
The only way I can see that happening is a square route that been drilled on the sides maybe?
BEFORE the sandwich somehow??
That's a good one Mark!

guitplayer

Yeah , you`d have to take a better pic than that.
For orientation of much.
And absolutely of intrest. Thats why I`m here.
take a pic backed up a little to include the whole control cavity.:jim

Kris Ford

Yeah , you`d have to take a better pic than that.
For orientation of much.
And absolutely of intrest. Thats why I`m here.
take a pic backed up a little to include the whole control cavity.:jim

Me tooo!
I love this stuff!:teeth

Monroe

this just goes to show how speculation an so called experts really dont know for sure anything
about what happed in the factory 40 years ago

The combined knowledge of the "so-called-experts" here on this forum told you it ain't no '71 within just a few posts.
You just didn't want to hear that, and instead offered thinly-veiled insults.

my guitar is probably the best les paul ive ever played
and ive played 59s and many others

Oh, I'm sure it is, and I'm sure you have.