• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NYC

ajmojave

So far I have been to

Matt Umanov
Southside
Carmine St.
Rivington

heading to Ludlow, 30th st. and chelsea today

Am I missing anything?

Grandturk

30th Street guitars is now on 27th street between 7&8 ave. and they are closed on sundays

I'd take an uber out to Music Zoo if you can

Marcel M

Retrofret in Gowanus Brooklyn is a really cool store. Lots of really nice vintage acoustics, less electrics, but a nice selection. They are really nice and let you play anything you want. I tried a 55 Black Beauty there once. Main Drag in Williamsburg is pretty cool too. They have a live room where you can REALLY crank it and no one tells you to turn it down. You can check the inventory online first to see if there is anything you want to check out. I agree Music Zoo is worth checking out as well if you can make it out there. The Uber on the way back will be much cheaper (Uber from NYC is expensive but coming from LI/NJ its MUCH cheaper). They have sooo many Historics... its amazing. I also secon Rudy's. Too bad the midtown show has closed.

MWR

If you can get over the GW bridge to NJ, there is a very cool shop in Teaneck, called Lark St Music.

Big Al

Come upstate to Roch cha cha and lose your mind at the great, great House of Guitars. :teeth

F-Hole

You'd be amazed at how many vintage dealers there are on Long Island. I ended up there by accident for a day and boy, it's insane.

Mr. Big

I have found Umanov to be a very unfriendly atmosphere on more than one occassion.
RUDY'S on the other hand is top shelf !!

ajmojave

Thanks Everyone

I ran out of time to get to staten Island, New Jersey, or Long Island. I had a lot of fun browsing, and I particularly enjoyed Southside.

next trip I am going to cover some more ground.

Andy

1jamman

Left NYC years ago and never missed it . Until NOW :laugh2:, Makes me Remember the Early 70's ,and walking around Music Row . 1 block(~90%) ,all Day , and not enough time to check out all the guitars .
I'd agree , Going to HOG would be worth a trip .
Taking a Week or more to go to many of the stores might be needed

J T

... Makes me Remember the Early 70's ,and walking around Music Row . 1 block(~90%) ,...

Gone! :dang

Although the Manny's sign is still there. That place is empty with the roller gate down. Nothing is close like that was. You'd have to ride the subway and plan your trip. The stores are spread out.

1jamman

Gone! :dang

Although the Manny's sign is still there. That place is empty with the roller gate down. Nothing is close like that was. You'd have to ride the subway and plan your trip. The stores are spread out.

Yeah , I was last there in 2008 for a day . Some of the stores were still there , but it was going down the path of closing up . IIRC Manny's closed the next year ~ ... Late 60's -early 70's was a great time on that 1 block ...
Looking back on it now , It was sort of amazing what went on there and whom , you might see on any given day ... And the Music that filled the air at times :2cool

Now ,I'd rent a car for a few days and Hit up as many shops as possible . Imo, it's worth the $$$ not to be riding the Subways and taking busses 1/2 the day .

I need to get up to HOG 1 day . I see a Thursday , Friday and Saturday trip to make it worth while .... Heck , take your time and test ALL the guitars :teeth

On the Way , I'd make a stop over at Gibson ... in TN.