• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help identifying a 70s LP Case?

WBailey

Did you contact the seller first ?

FWIW, color and pattern look off to me.

Certainly doesn't look 40 years old. Maybe reissue ?:hmm

Bob Womack

That looks like the deluxe version from the period. The standard version had a "grape" interior and different pads:

lpcaseint.jpg

Bob

guitplayer

That grape (royal purple) is my favorite case interior.
Really classy.

JohnnyAquanet

Thanks every one! I'm sure its for an LP but the inside lining is what looks redone to me. I'v see two kinds of 70s cases with purple inside but this inside dosen't look like either. To me it looks more like the latter ones made in the 90s. Just the inside, the outside looks original.

Bob Womack

No, really, that looks like an authentic "deluxe" case. There were two form-fitting cases offered during that period and the lining looks right for the upscale version.

Bob

Smolder

My early 70's LP Deluxe came with a black rectangular case with a gold internally. Not 100% sure it was original, but I believe it said Hibson on. The side.

Bob Womack

Yep, there were three levels total - the rectangular case, the grape, and the maroon. By the way, some of the grapes had a Gibson logo on the top and some didn't.

Bob

britbender

I guess mine is the maroon-one...

Which one was the most expensive, purple or maroon ?

Bob Womack

I guess mine is the maroon-one...

Which one was the most expensive, purple or maroon ?
The maroon one. There are several little "tells" on those maroon deluxe cases including a combined tolex/fabric tab that holds the top upright. I'm also told that there were two manufacturers of the grape ones, one who stamped the Gibson logo on the outside and one who didn't.

Bob

JohnnyAquanet

Hey I guess every one has moved on by now but as for the purpleish or grap cases I know of two kinds. The interior on one is longer haired "fluffier" and the other is a short hair velvety looking material.