• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R4 vs. R8 neck profiles

Dave71

Curious to know if there is any difference between the neck profiles of these two models (2013-2014 editions). I have a 2012 R4 and am contemplating picking up a new R8, but haven't had a chance to try one yet. Thanks for any insight.

renderit

I think there is a bit of variability on '54's alone. I have a real ball bat of a 54 RI. Then I have a '57 which is still thick, but a little more graceful going about it. Then I have a 59 RI which is "the perfect balance". You would NOT call it thick, but definitely not a skinny ES/SG of later years ilk. So I suppose a 58 would be a touch more graceful yet.

Not what you asked but as close as I could get...

Dave71

I think there is a bit of variability on '54's alone. I have a real ball bat of a 54 RI. Then I have a '57 which is still thick, but a little more graceful going about it. Then I have a 59 RI which is "the perfect balance". You would NOT call it thick, but definitely not a skinny ES/SG of later years ilk. So I suppose a 58 would be a touch more graceful yet.

Not what you asked but as close as I could get...

Thanks for the reply. My '12 R4 has a baseball bat neck. Would like something a bit softer.

DannyR8

Not having any experience on an R4 I can not compare, but my 2014 R8 has a very refined profile. Definitely chunky but in no way "baseball bat" and it is very comparable to my 2009 50's neck Traditional. On the other hand my 2013 R7 has a much more full neck with more shoulders, very playable; but a little more to hold on to. If your hoping to have an extremely full neck on an R8, I would say it's not there. The 2013-2014 model Historics are excellent in my opinion.