• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1973 LPC pickup height and toggle-switch questions

Sir Ricardo

Greetings everyone:

I've got a beautiful 1973 LPC, black as night, sounds great..... and it's got a couple of quirks I've been wondering about.

First, in order to get approximately the same volume from the 2 pickups, I need to lower the neck pickup so that it is actually slightly lower than its pickup ring. Very slightly recessed. The bridge pickup is positioned 'normally', which means about 1/4" (eyeballing it) above its ring. Both pickups are original (Pat# decal on back), and have their covers.

Have you guys encountered this before?

Second, the middle position of the toggle switch gives a lower volume than either the bridge ('Treble') or neck ('Rhythm') positions.

Is this what you'd expect?

thanks for your comments -

Richard

Last edited:

DanD

Pickup height is a personal taste issue. No right or wrong. If the strings aren't hitting the pups and you like the tone then it's good to go.

I usually try to find the sweet spot for my neck pup and then match the volume/output/tone of the bridge pup to the neck.

If you play on the bridge more than the neck you may want to reverse the above order of operations.

As far as the low volume goes that's not normal in my experience. As far as where to look for the problem I'd start with the switch as it's the only thing that's changed between the pup selections. After that I'd look at the pup wring to make sure both pickups are wired the same and not out of phase with each other.

You can't really hurt anything playing with pup heights but if you're not comfortable with the electronics side I'd take it to a reputable luthier.

:2zone

same on my '72- Neck Pup a bit lower than the ring- suggest you set pup heights while playing at full volume through your normal rig.