• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

PRS pics/discussion

JJ Blair

LOL

Point I was trying to make is if you are set out to prove they don't sound "right" then you will probably find a way to justify that thought.

However, if you take some time to understand the models and options, and play a whole bunch of them, you will likely come to a different conclusion.

I did. And I'm glad I did.

If you demand a Les Paul with Gibson on the headstock then buy the Historic, hands down. You want a Strat, buy a Fender. They are great guitars as well.

I never said anything about the quality of the guitars. I was answering the question about why people bag on them. It's a different kind of guitar, and it's not everybody's cup of tea. The lack of transient is something I've noticed across the board on them. Somebody recently gave me board tapes of Dead and Co, and it was so apparent. I was really hoping that a top of the line, custom made PRS would not suffer from the thing that I keep finding in them. And that's neither good nor bad. It's just a preference. But I've found that I'm not the only player with that preference, and I think that's why a number of people might respond negatively to them.

If you've got a PRS that doesn't havethat, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:

ourmaninthenorth

I never said anything about the quality of the guitars. I was answering the question about why people bag on them. It's a different kind of guitar, and it's not everybody's cup of tea. The lack of transient is something I've noticed across the board on them. Somebody recently gave me board tapes of Dead and Co, and it was so apparent. I was really hoping that a top of the line, custom made PRS would not suffer from the thing that I keep finding in them. And that's neither good nor bad. It's just a preference. But I've found that I'm not the only player with that preference, and I think that's why a number of people might respond negatively to them.

If you've got a PRS that doesn't have from that, I'd love to hear it.

Can you expand a little on that JJ?

I don't understand.

J.D.

Well we have one more thing in common as I have no idea what that means either.

Regardless, I wouldn't base the PRS sound on a 1-off "inspired by" guitar Paul built for John Mayer (with or without the 8 guitars your neighbor owns).

JJ Blair

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_(acoustics)

Transients are the attack portion of a note. It's where the excitement is. If you use a compressor with a fast attack time, it usually attenuates the transient. High gain distortion also really compresses, which can kill the transient. This is why I said PRS sound like they have a built in compressor. Fenders tend to have sharper transients than Gibsons. I think it's a function of both the wood and construction method. I have to really have my picking technique together more on Fenders than Gibsons, because more pronounced transients and faster decay really exposes any technique problems, with a clean tone. It's also why Fenders are preferred for chicken pickin' and funk. It's not just about single coil vs. double coil. The guitars sound sharper acoustically, because of the attack/decay profile.

Gibson solid bodies and semi-hollows in general have a more even transient profile, longer sustain, and the mahogany has a more complex overtone than Fenders.

What I find in PRS has been the lack of excitement in the leading edge of the note, where the transient is. It always feels dull to me. I've wondered if the small headstock is a factor, or something with the construction or shape. I can never figure it out.

If you're playing through some massive distortion, you're not going to notice it. It's why I hate tests of Bursts against R9s with a JCM800 set to stun. All you're hearing os the amp. But that's not a tone I like. I don't use much distortion. I'm a clean/dirty guy, and that's where I really notice when a guitar sounds dull to me, and lacks transient.

BTW, not to pick a fight, but it's funny having my opinion called uninformed, when you didn't understand what I was talking about.

J.D.

I certainly understand what you are talking about, just never associated it with the term.

So this is true for all PRS guitars? All scale lengths? Single and double cut bodies? Solid, semi hollow, and hollow bodies? All pickups? Trem or wrap tail guitars? All of them?

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
If the attack of a note is a problem with a Cu24, it'd be worth trying one of the bolt-neck PRS. I have a very early Ce24 that has WAY more snap than the Cu24 of almost the same vintage that I used to own! The SAS, and I think the Johnny Hiland are also bolt-neck IIRC. Or the early EGs with the Fralin Domino pickups can be cool...

P.Walker

FWIW, PRS uses mostly Jescar frets.

I've owned one PRS McCarty in my life; from a construction/fit/quality perspective, it was flawless. Solid one piece rosewood neck. Felt amazing.

garywright

I certainly understand what you are talking about, just never associated it with the term.

So this is true for all PRS guitars? All scale lengths? Single and double cut bodies? Solid, semi hollow, and hollow bodies? All pickups? Trem or wrap tail guitars? All of them?

now you got it

Patrick Ginnaty

I played PRSs for17 years, have owned 2 Standard 24s, 3 Custom 24s, and a McCarty. My two longest ones I bought in '87... a brand new Vintage yellow, and '88... a used '85 with a one piece top, a spectacular looking, and sounding piece. The other one was custom built for a Dire Straits guy, was a tone turd. The'97 & 95 Standards were both real gool...nice wood. The McCarty... I'd probably like it better now.

I was an original member of the old PRS Forum, went to a couple of forum events at the factory, met and talked with Paul.

One day, I had offers on the two older ones that I played all the time. The others were already gone. I put a pic of my holding the 87...my #1 on Facebook.

Last edited:

TheArchitect

I don't understand the idea that construction is the difference. Both have mahogany bodies and necks, maple tops and glue in necks. They are virtually identical in this regard.

I have listened to LP guys on LP forms whine about PRS for a few few decades now. They don't sound like LP's. We know that. As for the whole attack theory, I am at a loss to understand where that is coming from except maybe they are using the Dragon 2 pickups that are/were a spongy mess.

Last edited:

J.D.

Alot like hearing old Harley guys riding Shovelheads badmouthing the new Hondas.