• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Question regarding the headstock logo

Lindgren

I have a great deal on a beautiful Gibson LP Red Rocker Sammy Hagar signature but the headstock Chickenfoot logo pisses me off big time, is there any safe way to remove it without destroying the Gibson logo on top of the headstock ? Could it be scraped off ?

This is not nice :dang
sammy-hagar-chickenfoot-headstock.jpg

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Ugh. I would try some very fine wet/dry sandpaper first, maybe 1200 grit. See if that might make it go away.

MikeSlub

Administrator
I wouldn't bother trying to scrape it off. You might damage the headstock. And even if you don't like it (doesn't bother me personally), it was the logo specified by Sammy for this model based on his association with Chickenfoot. :hank

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Good point. Maybe best to leave it as is- Or find a Sammy Hagar devotee to pay to a wheelbarrow full of money for it & get something you really like.

TommyTouch

I don't like that headstock either, however, I think you should leave as is. You got a good deal, if you can't live with headstock, sell the guitar. If you try to remove the "chicken foot" you will de-value the guitar. Of course it is your guitar, do with what you want. My .02 cents.

reswot

All that said, you could probably sand it off -- if it's a decal -- and the Gibson logo would remain (the latter is inlaid, but very thin). That headstock probably has a fiber veneer, so it'll be black underneath the Chickenfoot logo. You could spray a couple of coats of lacquer, apply a Les Paul decal, and spray more lacquer.

However, I'd leave it alone, too.

Lindgren

Okay, thanks for your opinions.

I haven't decided if i should buy it or not...

J T

If the looks of that logo are not float n yer boat, move on baby

renderit

really like this amazing site for information.

Happy first post abidaamile! It IS and amazing site for information! Why just the other day they told me how to get a pesky stain out of my pants! And the cooking threads are really top notch!

Welcome!

WBailey

They make self stick headstock overlays for this reason.

If you decide to sell, they are removable, with no finish damage.

Play it more. You can't see it when you're playin :ganz

And, be thankful Gibson did not go with " Rhubarb Red " on your headstock ! :hee

Last edited:

ajay taylor

There are some BIG Chickenfoot fans out there, so I would leave it original. It's more specific than just a Chickenfoot guitar. That logo goes to their second album, CHICKENFOOT III. They went all out with the production on that album. I'm sure that Joe Satriani and Sammy each have one, so some fans couldnsee them on stage with one, and they probably don't realize that they could buy one too. I would think that if You advertised that guitar in LA, You could probably get top dollar and just get a Gibson without the freaky headstock.
Anyway, if You do like the guitar with the exception of the headstock, definitely leave it stock. I would keep it as near mint as possible, because the next owner probably will hang it on the wall. You might even trynselling it to one of those restaurants that hangs rock memorabilia all over the place.