• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What mods have you done to a 2013 R7,R8,R9

RavenTooth

Brass thumbwheels really helped thicken up the tone of my R9. Wolfetone Marshallhead A2s, again to try to add some thickness. Still honeymooning these. Might be slightly too hot for me. I have a Pigtail bridge yet to install. Considering a harness change. And maybe plastics some day. That being said, it sounded good to begin with. I could have probably been pretty happy with just the brass thumbwheels, but I like to tinker and learn.

El Gringo

All so true and agree on all points, Man the after market guys must be really sad,,,, But I still wonder what a good set of throbaks will sound like, I like the new custom buckers but dont like the under wound custom buckers in the benchmark series as much.
Totally agree 100% , if i had the underwound coils (which are overwound with tone ) (what a load ) then i would switch to throbaks in a heartbeat

ff1337

Well I bought this 2013 with replaced Braz fretboard/inlays, nitro, plastic and reshaped neck to a closer match to a '59. All other parts original. Sounds and plays fantastic. Best RI Les Paul I've had; this is after probably 20.

Is that a Historic Makeovers?

Dothedew

On my R8 I swapped out the original tailpiece and studs with Faber replacements due to heavy VOS treatment corrosion/rust, and installed a new pickguard bracket because it was flaking rust as well. Will install regular strap buttons when I can find a pair, I hate the locking ones.

randall

nothing. will never touch one thing, it's all perfect. Mojo is in untouched solder joints.

Cav

All original except the pickups.
I installed a set of OX4 paf's with Bare Knuckle aged covers. The Custombuckers were good but too soft. Mark's pup's are way better to me. A bit overwound (7.9/8.5k) compared to the CB's.

KAHThYH.jpg

bluesjuke

After spending time with both of mine, I found that the Volume Pots have got to go. Very fast taper with ALL the action happening in the first quarter turn. Some must like that, but not me. The Tone pots seem OK, but the Volume pots are useless for how I play. I use them a lot.

On this one point I must agree. I only notice it on the neck pickup. From 10 to 9 drops it about 50%. I thought it was a dud until I read through the forums and found that this seems to be normal. I'm tempted to change it out as I too use the volume knob extensively. I would love to access the volume between 10 and 9. lol

I swapped my thumbwheels to brass which made a very pleasant change from the steel wheels.
I usually don't change anything unless it functions badly.

In my 2013 R8 I do have to agree, the pots (volume at least) are lacking and using my controls extensively I have to go ahead and throw in the RS Superpots and Luxe Bees I have had sitting here for a few years now.

The guitar is anemic until I get up to a hair over 8 on the volume control especially on the bridge.
Once I get to 8 1/2 I can really tell that I love the pickups fine but the results at that level (8 1/2 vol.) I am used to getting at 4-5 on my other Historic LPS.
Past 8 1/2 with just a hair turn of the pot volume takes a HUGE jump.

bluesjuke

These pots I find to be kind of the reverse problem as many of the older Historic pots were, that is almost acting as a switch at the except vat the top end instead of at the low end pot travel.

Last edited:

RavenTooth

Pigtail bridge installed and I can definitely say it added a fullness and liveliness I found slightly lacking before. I also got new plastics: Bartlett rings, Mojoaxe pick guard, Montreux Time Machine poker chip.

Whats next? Pots and caps probably. Need to see what I'm missing.

Last edited:

kats

Changed caps to PIO. It's must IMO to get the full versatility a Les Paul can offer.

bluesjuke

Have you guys that have changed your pots noticed a fuller, thicker sound with the volume pot turned down lower than you have before?

More beef?
I had mentioned earlier that my pickups seem anemic until I get the volume control up past 8 where as other Historic I have and have had still were robust at lower volumes.

7thStar

My 2013 R7 is noticeably a more toneful and versatile beast than my '01 R8 (which is a really great guitar). Since 2013, they certainly seem to be doing something right. The custombuckers also seem near perfect to my ears. So in terms of mods, just a modest amount of buckle-rash and that's about it :)

Midnight Blues

Haven't touched mine, nor do I have any plans to do so. I love it just the way it is.

RavenTooth

All original except the pickups.
I installed a set of OX4 paf's with Bare Knuckle aged covers. The Custombuckers were good but too soft. Mark's pup's are way better to me. A bit overwound (7.9/8.5k) compared to the CB's.

Did you go for the medium wind A4 version? Im considering these pickups for what sounds like similar reason. I want a bit harder sound with more grunt. I was considering medium wind a2 version. 8.5 bridge sounds about right.

RavenTooth

Have you guys that have changed your pots noticed a fuller, thicker sound with the volume pot turned down lower than you have before?

More beef?
I had mentioned earlier that my pickups seem anemic until I get the volume control up past 8 where as other Historic I have and have had still were robust at lower volumes.

Posted this in another thread about Bees.

"Well, I got the new harness installed with the Luxe bees today. Finally getting pretty good at soldering!

There is definitely a difference and it's definitely for the better. It's not a huge difference, but most things aren't. But its enough to matter to me. I would try to describe it as some added warmth, a little more low end content, chewier. Just more musical. Kind of like analog tape vs digital. It is really going to depend on how picky you are but I am very picky. As soon as I played it with the new bees I said to myself 'these are going in every future Les Paul I own.'"

cvriz

2013 r9, I replaced the custombuckers with ox4s.I liked the custombuckers but I found the bridge pup to be to be a little dull and weak. Also put real black beauty caps in, very nice improvement.

RavenTooth

2013 r9, I replaced the custombuckers with ox4s.I liked the custombuckers but I found the bridge pup to be to be a little dull and weak. Also put real black beauty caps in, very nice improvement.

Which wind (low, medium, high) did you go for with which magnets? I'm seriously considering these for my guitar. I'm looking for some more authority and grunt. I was thinking medium wind a4.