The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
Vintage Guitar Registry
LPF Homesite

Are all my Gibsons in vane?

I have an SG, two Vs, and four Les Pauls. The only guitar I play is my routed 1969 Goldtop. Should I sell all the others?

Re: Are all my Gibsons in vane?

Yes, if you don't play them and/or don't want them in your stable anymore.
    Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

Depends on your personality. I sincerely doubt that every guitar owned by LPF members gets played, many of them just spend their life in cases or on display. If it doesn't bother you and you don't need the money I'd say keep them, you might pick a different favorite soon.
    If it was me on the other hand they'd be long gone.
    And that's an opinion, not just a fact:)

- "I resemble that remark, " - Vanna

- "Real quality can only arise on the brink of disaster" - Nikolaus Harnoncourt

https://soundcloud.com/yeti64/weissy-del-ray

Quote Originally Posted by PLarson View Post
    I have an SG, two Vs, and four Les Pauls. The only guitar I play is my routed 1969 Goldtop. Should I sell all the others?

a 1969 golf top is like the coolest guitar in the Universe!!!(look at my you tube!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq_11Htri_4

Would you rather have the guitars or the money? Ask yourself what would you do with money after the guitars are gone, buy more guitars yeah. Are you gigging? I always take two guitars to the gig. I have four Les Pauls, but I don't think they in vain. They are my treasures, I could sell them easily, but I just don't want to let them go.. If I had to sell them because I needed the money for more important things, I suppose I would. Do what you have to do to find peace and happiness.

Les Paul Forum Member moonweasel's Avatar

I think you should sell some stuff, not just because I like LSLPs. Personally, I respect others when it comes to owning multiple Les Pauls, but it's not for me. Too much overlap. Maybe try something weird, and pickup a DuoJet Gretsch or a Rickenbacker. Something "out there".

Quote Originally Posted by moonweasel View Post
    I think you should sell some stuff, not just because I like LSLPs. Personally, I respect others when it comes to owning multiple Les Pauls, but it's not for me. Too much overlap. Maybe try something weird, and pickup a DuoJet Gretsch or a Rickenbacker. Something "out there".
    +1

Trade them in for something cool! Go vintage or high-end reissue or get a new amp!

I am down to one Les Paul now - a routed '68 road warrier. This one feels just right and I have no regrets over selling the others.

Les Paul Forum Member

I recently sold a Melody Maker and a Baby Taylor and it was liberating. Mind you that I still have 2 LP's and another MM plus an acoustic and a Cigar Box Guitar, 5 total. I need all of these. I rotate the 2 LP's and the MM is in open D. Yes, I need them all. It's a tough choice to get rid of a Gibson but if you don't play them or need the money or you would just feel better without the inventory-still a tough choice. Sorry for the rant...

Sell the extra guitars, put the money in the bank, and be happy that you have an emergency or rainy day fund.

All of my Les Pauls are special. Having said that there is one that is very neglected. All but that one get played in a rotation. I like the sound and feel of my Historics best but they are all good. I do have several other guitars that probably should go to someone that would play them but it is a tough thing to part with them.
    ----------
    09 R9
    09 R6
    92 LP Standard
    06 LP Classic
    99 ES-335
    06 SG 61 Reissue

Les Paul Forum Member thin sissy's Avatar

Sell them and buy a ES330 and a National resonator guitar (cause that's what I want at the moment... ).
    This is a song from the new album, it's a deep meaningful song this one... No, it's not whiskey in the fucking jar... Philip Lynott

Quote Originally Posted by moonweasel View Post
    Or a Duesenberg perhaps?

Les Paul Forum Member Doc Sausage's Avatar

There's a good chance you will rue the day you sold them. You can only play one at a time anyway. If you don't need the $ to feed the children, keep the guitars.
    "I don't want to be part of any club that would accept me as a member" - Groucho Marx

Les Paul Forum Member lonesomesheik's Avatar

The Goldtop is your fave which is good, to expand a bit get a good one with P90s (SG /LP...)and an ES (whatever your choice is), three is company as they say, keep one of those in open tuning for a bit of slide. Having two guitars at least is a must if a friend should pop by

Les Paul Forum Member bigtomrodney's Avatar

I used to hoard, now I have a semi-strict imposition rule of two electrics and one acoustic imposed on myself. It's not for any reason other than to ensure I really, really want the guitars I have. If I really want them - and I've had enough flings and long-term commitments for sentimental or guilt reasons - then I can revisit the rule. In the meantime that rule helps ease the decision to move guitars on that aren't something I completely couldn't live without.

Nothing like a good purge now and then.

Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar

Some say an unplayed guitar is sacrilege, others don't care. I've never owned more than two Les Pauls at any one time-and most of the time it was one: a Conversion. Sounds like the others are more eye candy than used. I also like idea that they are a forced savings account.
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

Don't sell any of them. You just aren't inspired to play them. Drop some Lollar p90's in the V's and both will be the best sounding strats Fender never made. Take the SG and tune it to open G for slide. Same for one of the LP's. Top wrap the other 2 LP's you don't play. Top wrap the V's too. Maybe its not the guitars that are uninspiring. Maybe its the amp. A well built 5e3 cranked to the 6's on the chickenheads will make a woman wetter than a shampooed water buffalo.

OHMYGOD!!Texas blues..will make a woman wetter than a shampooed water buffalo.... igoota try that on my GF...maybe shell drop one of her boy friends!!
    S_H

Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Blues View Post
    A well built 5e3 cranked to the 6's on the chickenheads will make a woman wetter than a shampooed water buffalo.
    You mind if I borrow dat line?
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mistersnappy View Post
    You mind if I borrow dat line?
    Help yourself compadre. I stole that line years ago but from whom I don't recollect.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    I used to hoard, now I have a semi-strict imposition rule of two electrics and one acoustic imposed on myself. It's not for any reason other than to ensure I really, really want the guitars I have. If I really want them - and I've had enough flings and long-term commitments for sentimental or guilt reasons - then I can revisit the rule. In the meantime that rule helps ease the decision to move guitars on that aren't something I completely couldn't live without.
    I like.
    And that's an opinion, not just a fact:)

- "I resemble that remark, " - Vanna

- "Real quality can only arise on the brink of disaster" - Nikolaus Harnoncourt

https://soundcloud.com/yeti64/weissy-del-ray

I used to hoard. Now I buy low, sell higher. Keep what i fall in love with. I am ahead $$$. It used to cost me money. I like it better this way.

Quote Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
    I used to hoard. Now I buy low, sell higher. Keep what i fall in love with. I am ahead $$$. It used to cost me money. I like it better this way.
    Smart man.
    "So I let the poison go, 'cause baby I always know it'll be there for me"

I think I'm going to sell some of them off. Frankly, I'm bored of them.
    Going to save money for that '54 Goldtop I dream of....

Les Paul Forum Member lonesomesheik's Avatar

That's very wise ! Goltops are top notch!

Les Paul Forum Member ch willie's Avatar

Sell your extras and get something different, unique. A Zemantis, for example.

Les Paul Forum Member

PLarson, I am willing to help a brother out. Send the ones you do not play to me and I will watch over them for you. You can have them back whenever you want them. I will waiting for UPS. THX

Les Paul Forum Member

Get the 54
    53 LP, '09 R9 LP, '62 & '64 SG juniors, '06 R6 Goldtop, '06 LP Special VOS, '67 ES-330, '59-61?? Double Mandolin and a few Fenders, Voxs and Hagstroms, 1947 L7 and 1937-41 L30 archtops

Les Paul Forum Member bluesforstevie's Avatar

Can we please see some pics??? That would help with some of the big decisions
    "bereft of consciousness and self-awareness, yet ambulant and able to respond to surrounding stimuli."

Les Paul Forum Member

Yes, you must sell them! Sell them at once, I say! Sell them to me! Mwuhhahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Sell the ones you're not using and try something new.