• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and now have to move to a new host. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

What year did Gibson move the pickup on SC Juniors?

Brownie

They moved it a wee bit further from the tp, as I'm sure everyone here knows. I used to know the answer, but my memory...well, ya know. :rolleyes:

buyusfear

They moved it a wee bit further from the tp, as I'm sure everyone here knows. I used to know the answer, but my memory...well, ya know. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that it was the pickup that was being moved and not the studs.

I should have measured, but when I have my '56 Junior alongside my buddies '55 Junior (the better conditioned one), you can see that there is more space between his treble stud and the pickup, as well as the tailpiece sits closer to the stud, whereas my Junior's tailpiece is quite off the stud, as the treble stud is closer to the neck.
So I'm not sure there is a definitive time frame.

5556LPjuniors3.jpg

5556LPjuniors16.jpg

5556LPjuniors15.jpg

55 upfront
5556LPjuniors8.jpg

56 up front
5556LPjuniors9.jpg

I'll measure them next time they're in the same room.

John Smolakis

They had to have moved the pickup, because if they moved the studs it would have changed the scale length. I think the change occurred in early '56, although I could be wrong about the specific timeframe. But it was sometime around then.

buyusfear

They had to have moved the pickup, because if they moved the studs it would have changed the scale length. I think the change occurred in early '56, although I could be wrong about the specific timeframe. But it was sometime around then.

The stud can be moved forward, and still have the same scale length, after adjusting the tailpiece back to where it would have been before moving the stud. Were not talking inches.

Like I said, My 56's stud, is closer to the pickup then the 55's stud. And if you look close, both guitars are set up, with correct intonations for 10's, and the 56's tailpiece is wayoff the treble stud, unlike the '55's tp.

And, my 56 had super short anchors, another thing '56's apparently didn't have..

1956LesPaulJuniorstudleanfixdepthbassside.jpg

zombiwoof

The stud can be moved forward, and still have the same scale length, after adjusting the tailpiece back to where it would have been before moving the stud. Were not talking inches.

Like I said, My 56's stud, is closer to the pickup then the 55's stud. And if you look close, both guitars are set up, with correct intonations for 10's, and the 56's tailpiece is wayoff the treble stud, unlike the '55's tp.

And, my 56 had super short anchors, another thing '56's apparently didn't have..

1956LesPaulJuniorstudleanfixdepthbassside.jpg

Yours may be an early '56, before they changed the bushing length. I guess I should check my '56 Jr., and see how long the bushings are in it.

Al

mbowen

Here are 1954--1955--and 1957 JR'S--the 1955 a TV.On mine 54 is closer than 55 and 57 is moved a good bit.I would think 1956 is when the larger move came.Mike B.
DSC00387.jpg

DSC00838.jpg

1956-LPJR.jpg

John Smolakis

Oh ok, I see what you mean. That probably makes more sense, tooling-wise.

LiamH

Towards the end of '56 as I've always been told, but it seems to coincide with the introduction of the TOM in some weird way. I always thought they just moved the pickup, but I now know they moved the TP bushings as well. The whole lot was moved closer to the nut, but the pickup was moved further than the bushings. The guitars after the move of the bridge intonate much better, and suffer from less stud lean. But my best sounding one has the early bridge and TP position. Coincidence? Who knows!

Liam

[Edit: Buyusfear's Juniors are good examplars of the compromise we face. The early ones intonate nicely on the high E, but the low E side ends up wound all the way out. Wraptail GTs are much the same. On the later guitars (like his '56) we all seem to end up with the low E intonating nicely, but on the high E side the wrapover bridge is so far back on the stud it looks like it might fall off. Such great guitars I can live with all the quirks!]

DANELECTRO

These are all 1956 Juniors

56Juniors.jpg

The studs stayed in the same place. The pickup and the inner curve of the pickguard were shifted upwards.

MapleFlame

These are all 1956 Juniors

56Juniors.jpg

The studs stayed in the same place. The pickup and the inner curve of the pickguard were shifted upwards.

100% correct. The position of the wrap studs couldn't be moved due to such little adjustment of the allen screws. If you change one, the other would have to as well.

LiamH

100% correct. The position of the wrap studs couldn't be moved due to such little adjustment of the allen screws. If you change one, the other would have to as well.

The studs moved. Do I expect you to believe me? Not really. Do I care? Not so so much of that either. But I've got a pile of Juniors and a tape measure that say they got about 1.5 mm closer to the nut some time in '56.

This is a really unpleasant forum at times.

Liam

MapleFlame

The studs moved. Do I expect you to believe me? Not really. Do I care? Not so so much of that either. But I've got a pile of Juniors and a tape measure that say they got about 1.5 mm closer to the nut some time in '56.

This is a really unpleasant forum at times.

Liam

Gibson used a metal template to drill the stud hole positions. It almost looked like a T but with the top angled for the scale length angle. Part of the difference and tolerances were from person using it. You can see different tailpiece locations even on Burst, as well for ABR-1 positions. I personally don't see where anyone called you out or was disrespectful. There's a lotta members who have tons of wraptail guitars as well and you know I have several. Please relax, it's not a big dealio.:)

I don't know the answer, but the information is in Danelectro's post.

Liam's post, suggests to me that the studs were very likely moved.

If you capture Danelectro's photo, (it will probably help to rotate it 90 or 270°) and blow it up like crazy, (even larger than 1/1 scale. If your monitor allows), although it will be out of focus... Pick either or both sets of photos that are shot from similar angles (don't worry, they're close enough) that have both the short and long stud/pickup gap. Measure from the middle of the last fret to the front edge of (let's say the treble) stud, or any two points of your choosing, involving the last fret and a stud... And the information will be there. I'm not seeing a lot of stud lean in these photos, but with even a little bit, I'm sure it will still work.

Liam, in the likelihood that you don't know, is (I believe) an engineering professor (if I didn't knock that down... I staggered it) or something like that at university in England. I imagine the boy knows how to use a tape measure.

Top row, second from left and bottom row, far right

Top row, third from left and bottom row, center

They moved 'em.

Or, I suppose I could've just measured a few of my own... But you know... Worlds laziest man and all...

J.D.

Whatever the case, I believe this change happenned sometime in '56 :jim

DANELECTRO

This shows how the contour of the pickguard changed to accommodate moving the pickup away from the bridge. The steel plate is a routing template that I made exactly per the pickguard of a 1957 Junior. Underneath it is a 1955 Junior for comparison.

GibsonLesPaul55Junior510116026.jpg