The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
Vintage Guitar Registry
LPF Homesite

Thread: New AFD LP

New AFD LP

Looks like NOTHING I've ever seen Slash play, 1987, 1997, 2007 or now. Looks like a BFG mixed with a Class 5 with 60's knobs. Lately Slash plays one of the original Slash CS models or one of the new Goldtops. I think this one is a loser. Sorry.

Les Paul Forum Member PixelBurst's Avatar

Re: New AFD LP

Quote Originally Posted by rng52465 View Post
    Looks like NOTHING I've ever seen Slash play, 1987, 1997, 2007 or now. Looks like a BFG mixed with a Class 5 with 60's knobs. Lately Slash plays one of the original Slash CS models or one of the new Goldtops. I think this one is a loser. Sorry.
    That's because he retired the original one shortly after G N' R's first big tour. You can see it here on the '88 Live At The Ritz MTV concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_enNmzWn6Y

Guitars: Two '59 Gibson Les Paul Reissues, 1960's Gibson Acoustic
    Pedals: RMC4 Picture Wah, Korg Pitchblack Tuner
    Amps: Reinhardt Storm 50, Stagecraft Slant 2x12 with Scumback BM75's, Blackstar HT-5R

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rng52465 View Post
    is it this one? doesnt look anywhere near like a BFG to me.

Les Paul Forum Member mikey_guit's Avatar

There is already a discussion going on somewhere here in the forum ...

It's his main recording guitar, and yes, it's the one that can be seen in the Ritz video. It's a luthier's replica of a '59 Les Paul, so yes ... Gibson is offering a replica of a replica.

Judging the looks it's not too pretty imho, but I'd love to play it and find out how much mojo and tone it really has ... after all Slash has access to more ore less every guitar out there...
    live, not Memorex.

I've ordered one.
    I'm not a Slash fan, (well not an anorak anyway), but I love the colour.
    And I fancy an L/p with a slimmer neck and a pretty top.
    I've already got an R7, 79 deluxe, 59 Jr so it's something a little different,
    Bring it on
    More than one pick-up is a waste!

They need to Lose the headstock graphic. It kills resale value by limiting the pool of potential customers.

Comon Slash is broke and starving he needs more Les Paul models he is the Babe Ruth of signature Les Pauls I think he has more models than anyone !!

Zoomer

There is no such thing as too much flame !!!

LOL! Yeah, a legitimate Gibson clone of a "Derrig"! Shows just how badly they need to bring in some sales!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomer View Post
    Comon Slash is broke and starving he needs more Les Paul models he is the Babe Ruth of signature Les Pauls I think he has more models than anyone !!

Zoomer
    He IS frugal, I was on a Southwest flight with him once...
    Marc

I dig it.
    Marc

I'm not a huge Slash fan, but Appetite... is still a great album. I think if they'd skipped a few of the other Slash models, this would be seen as a much bigger deal by all.

I'd never seen that Live At The Ritz performance that PixelBurst posted, only ever saw the footage from the bloated Illusion tour. It's interesting how much of the AFD tone is in that guitar. His other Les Pauls just don't sound the same.

Check this for instance:

Sweet Child O' Mine - Live At The Ritz

Amazing how similar it sounds to the studio cut, much closer than any other live performance I've heard. I always thought that distinctive quacking tone was some studio trickery, or more from the amp itself, or a cocked wah or something, but it's clearly in that guitar.

I just bought an '88 Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom, which has an old 1980s SD Alnico Pro II pickup in the neck, and it sounds very similar to that tone...

I love Youtube! Appetite was the first tape I bought on my own (at 8 years old) and I remember watching that Ritz performance when it happened. Its so cool that I dont have to dig around for an old worn out VHS copy...
    Marc

Whiskeytown

Jeez. I want an Izzy ES 175 model.

He did have a great sound on their first tour. Hit you in the chest.