• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Advantages of top wrapping a Les Paul?

Canada Dry

I've been doing it on my LP's for years.

My original thoughts way back when were that it gave a better feel to the strings ("slinkier" ?) but also bends seemed to be easier. Also, better sustain.

But I'm open to the fact that it might just be the placebo effect... :##

Pat Boyack

Can anyone explain what the advantages would be of top wrapping (over the tailpiece) on a Les Paul? I bought a beater Studio that I want to experiment on. Do I screw the tailpiece all the way into the body? How high do I adjust the bridge? How much will this affect bends or intonation?

Thanks for all opinions and advice.

I top wrap to save my bridges because I use heavy gauge strings.

But how about taking a set of strings and just doing it yourself? You be the judge.

Doc Sausage

I like it just because. And it makes me play just like, Billy, Duane and Joe B. (at least until I awake) :dude:

djangolad

On my R9 top wrapping is a tone killer especially affecting the unwound strings. It went from thick piano-like, full, warm and clear and a creative energy to thin, dead and very average sounding. A very uninspiring instrument that looked better than it sounded (something I can't stand owning). Attack and sustain loss are the initial effects, but as the strings age a little( couple of months of daily playing) intonation and keeping the guitar in tune become more pronounced across all strings. Next time I want to turn my R9 into a Chibson sounding piece of shit I'll remember to top wrap.

blewsbreaker

On my R9 top wrapping is a tone killer especially affecting the unwound strings. It went from thick piano-like, full, warm and clear and a creative energy to thin, dead and very average sounding. A very uninspiring instrument that looked better than it sounded (something I can't stand owning). Attack and sustain loss are the initial effects, but as the strings age a little( couple of months of daily playing) intonation and keeping the guitar in tune become more pronounced across all strings. Next time I want to turn my R9 into a Chibson sounding piece of shit I'll remember to top wrap.

I think the problem is your R9er....

djangolad

No the problem is the way i restrung it. With respect , do you think I might purchase a dead guitar? As I said it sounds as you would expect from a 2013 9. Full and sweet, but it becomes pretty ordinary when top-wrapped.
Just go smoke on that fact for a while:##