• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and now have to move to a new host. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

How can you get a goldtop to "green"

Zoomer

Hi

I did a search couldn't find any info on how to make a goldtop turn green - anyone know how ??

:2zone,

Zoomer

sidekick

It is a deterioration factor of elements within the finish of the old one's...

Historic Makeovers, (refinish) on a modern goldtop LP is your best option, (IMO).

JR.Deluxe

The 50's GT's and the 70's GT's turn green naturally where the sweat of your arm melts the nitro. I dont think the historics will ever turn green no matter what you try(except green paint).

DonRowe

My '04 R7 is starting to green where my forearm rests..No cracks just sweat sepage where the binding meets the top..:)

vark45

Here's my '03. As you can see the finish is wearing off where I rest my arm. Yes, I have toxic sweat and it can get pretty warm here in central FLA. But, as mentioned above, sweating will start some greening...
GoldTop01.JPG

But, as a side note, there is a bit-o-flame peaking out from under that gold!

-Shawn

Gold Tone

Here's my '03. As you can see the finish is wearing off where I rest my arm. Yes, I have toxic sweat and it can get pretty warm here in central FLA. But, as mentioned above, sweating will start some greening...
GoldTop01.JPG

-Shawn

Look at that flame!!! That looks nice from the bit that is visible......could be a burst refin!

Gold Tone

I dont think the historics will ever turn green no matter what you try(except green paint).

They will, though the clear coat is often thicker than 50's Gold Tops so it may take longer.....but it will green.

B-rock

GoldTop01.JPG

-Shawn

Do you have a shot of your control cavity? Should show the back side of your top to see if it has more figure.

cherrick

Les Paul Froum Member
How to green that gold top refin:
Obviously the magic ingredient is sweat. So ...

Are you a jogger? If so, don't change your underwear for a couple of weeks. Turn off the A/C in your house and sleep in the same underwear for those two weeks. Run in them, workout, etc.

Then remove these underwear and begin nightly to run the gold top of your historic with the sweat-impregnated underwear.

You should be green to go in a couple of months.

Remember, don't change your underwear.

O

olgabowl

This, from Wikipedia:

"Sweat contains mainly water. It also contains minerals, as well as lactate and urea. Mineral composition will vary with the individual, the acclimatisation to heat, exercise and sweating, the particular stress source (exercise, playing a Les Paul onstage under hot lights, sauna, etc.), the duration of sweating, and the composition of minerals in the body. An indication of the minerals content is: sodium 0.9 gram/liter, potassium 0.2 gram/liter, calcium 0.015 gram/liter, magnesium 0.0013 gram/liter[4]. Also many other trace elements are excreted in sweat, again an indication of their concentration is (although measurements can vary fifteenfold): zinc (0.4 mg/l), copper (0.3 - 0.8 mg/l), iron (1 mg/l), chromium (0.1 mg/l), nickel (0.05 mg/l), lead (0.05 mg/l)."

TBR623

How to green that gold top refin:
Obviously the magic ingredient is sweat. So ...

Are you a jogger? If so, don't change your underwear for a couple of weeks. Turn off the A/C in your house and sleep in the same underwear for those two weeks. Run in them, workout, etc.

Then remove these underwear and begin nightly to run the gold top of your historic with the sweat-impregnated underwear.

You should be green to go in a couple of months.

Remember, don't change your underwear.

Maybe I'm "old fashioned" but mine has been out of the case for the last 6 years and gets played EVERYDAY,gigged on occasion-yet it still looks NEW.......... I prefer showering:salude