• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Robben Ford & ES-335 :-)

j45

It is called taste, maturity and style!

Well, I'm out....

1_richards.jpg

Last edited:

emmadet

A couple of things I'd say Wes, Keith & Robben have in common is, they're all really great rhythm players. They started out playing blues, they probably all love(d) Charlie Christian, and all 3 can be referred to on a first name basis. That's something.
I've seen Robben cut loose on a few of those yt videos. But maybe he did sound a bit slick around the "talk to your daughter" period in the 80's.
"White ain't right"...hm. Hey, if Keith is grey then I'd say grey makes my day.

direneed

Heard him play that 335 into a pair of '68 SFSRs with a Zen Drive in early 2008 at the Cactus Cafe in Austin. His tone was smoking as always, but not much like his Dumble tone fur sure. Similar type tone, but nowhere as thick and juicy as the Dumbles, much more of the Super Reverb signature BF tone. Sounded spectacular, don't get me wrong. I mean, yeah, he sounds like himself, and awesome at that, but there's something to be said for the right tools in the right guys hands. It's not just the hands themselves that do it all.

djdersh

Robben says in the interview that his 'new' ES-335 is a '68 converted to stop tail. My guess is after playing with Carlton he was itching to get back into playing a 335. Of course with Robben it's definitely the player and not the gear. His tone may very, depending on the gear, but his he is still a Zen Master...

BillyB

The Man's a monster player - great tone, note choice etc...

I hope he sticks with the Les Paul goldtop, 335 and '60 Telecaster and stays away from those nasty looking Baker guitars.