• THIS IS THE 25th ANNIVERSARY YEAR FOR THE LES PAUL FORUM! PLEASE CELEBRATE WITH US AND SUPPORT US WITH A DONATION TO KEEP US GOING! We've made a large financial investment to convert the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and now have to move to a new host. We also have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!
  • WE ARE MOVING THE LES PAUL FORUM TO A NEW HOSTING PROVIDER OVER THE NEXT 5-10 DAYS. We will experience downtime during that period. Please be patient and have confidence that we will return! Many thanks, Mike Slubowski, Admin

Chambered Les Pauls questions

saltydogg

Gents & Ladies,

I may have found a 2006 R8 Chambered LP that I'm looking to purchase. The stated weight is 7.58lbs and the serial number is 8-67**.

My questions are: Are all chambered LP's referred to as "Cloud 9's" or are the Cloud 9's a Custom run by Gibson? The reason I ask is I usually see the chambered LP serial number starts with CR rather than just an R. When did Gibson start the Cloud 9 series? Is it because the LP I'm looking at is from 2006? Is a cloud 9 "better" in any way? And finally- what's the particular differences between VOS and non-VOS?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
-John

sanhozay

Hmmmmm...good question. My Chambered guitar is also an 06, starts off with the CR, then the year, etc. Cloud Nine was the dealer name used to promote the inception of these guitars, I don't think it's a Gibson moniker at all. CR stands for chambered reissue. I'd be skeptical if the C is absent. VOS is dull finish and hardware, semi aged thingy. Non-VOS is the polished standard stuff, and typically cost a few hundred dollars more.

saltydogg

thanks sanhozay. The Model # is LPR8 P.

The pictures show the complete package: COA (where I can clearly read the serial & model #), case candy, etc....

Anybody else have any info?

class5lp

Go here for a lot of your answers or email Cloud 9 either from the forum or his web sight. He can offers a lot of info and the sight does as well. Also do some searches here. This has been discussed in detail.
http://www.cloud9guitars.org/

CR9

Gents & Ladies,

I may have found a 2006 R8 Chambered LP that I'm looking to purchase. The stated weight is 7.58lbs and the serial number is 8-67**.

My questions are: Are all chambered LP's referred to as "Cloud 9's" or are the Cloud 9's a Custom run by Gibson? The reason I ask is I usually see the chambered LP serial number starts with CR rather than just an R. When did Gibson start the Cloud 9 series? Is it because the LP I'm looking at is from 2006? Is a cloud 9 "better" in any way? And finally- what's the particular differences between VOS and non-VOS?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
-John

The Cloud 9's were a custom run for 3 dealers in 2004. The production continues as other dealers order them.
I do not think you found a 2006 R8 that was chambered unless the serial number starts with a "CR" or it was a custom one-off order and then it should have had a "CS" serial number. The "Cloud 9's" are only the ones with a CR serial number and they have all the same specs as the solid body Historic series. The Cloud 9 series stared in 2004, but Music Machine had a small run (24 guitars in all, if I recall) in 2003 that are essentially the same except the serial number does not have a CR. I think you may have just found a light R8. Take off the control plate on the back and see if you can look behind the bridge and up towards the switch.

The tone is different in a Cloud 9 than a solid body. You have to be the judge of that one. Most seem to have more mid range clarity and sustain.

VOS is a chemical that they put on the guitar to make it dull and not glossy. It can be buffed off easily. It is a production step that eliminates some of the final buffing at the shop. Some like it because it makes the guitar look "old". If you have a VOS and try to clean one spot, that spot will become glossy and the rest around it will still be dull. The VOS is cheaper in price, but you can polish it out yourself with nothing more than polish and a rag.

cloud9%20chamber.jpg

saltydogg

Well, I called Gibson and was able to verify the serial number is good along with the finish. I e-mailed the seller about the issue, but i haven't heard back yet.

My guess is (the seller is retail outfit) that the description listed on the website was "copy and pasted" from a CR8 ad and used for this standard R8. I'm finding it hard to believe that a Standard R8 Solidbody weighs in at 7.58lbs.

Greco

Interesting, thanks.
I just noticed, there are no routes for pickups in the CR photo. :hmm

There's no neck or top either - the pickup routes would be done after. Probably the same with USA as the x-ray is of an assembled guitar. :salude

DANELECTRO

Interesting, thanks.
I just noticed, there are no routes for pickups in the CR photo. :hmm

Most of the routing is done after the maple cap has been glued on. Only internal features that cannot be reached are done prior to gluing. Here are images of computer models that I made comparing the routing of a regular R7/R8/R9/R0 vs a Cloud 9.

HistoricSlabPre-Maple.jpg

historicslabpostmaple8ib.jpg

cloud9slabpremaple2mp.jpg

cloud9slabpostmaple17ba.jpg

stephan_l

@saltydogg
If you have the chance to play a CR, do it. They sound fantastic.
Never had the chance to compare with the real deal, but there are people who say they are the closest to a "non-real-burst-gibson". And there are many CR8 with incredible tops for far less money then a CR9.

@cloud9
thx for posting this picture. Have you more pics about the building process of a cloud9? :salude

CR9

@cloud9
thx for posting this picture. Have you more pics about the building process of a cloud9? :salude

I don't have more that I can find right now. The only difference to a solid Historic is the the extra step for chambering of the back. I'll look.

CR9

These were at the old Custom shop in 2004.

Gluing on the tops:

DSCN1865.JPG

Routing the body:

DSCN1873.JPG

My favorite photo:

DSCN1875.JPG