• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1960 Les Paul Junior restoration project pics

Toecutter

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
519
http://www.lilypix.com/photos/showalbum.php?uuid=600&aid=3113

Here's some shots of my recently completed 1960 Les Paul Junior restoration project. It was pretty much a mess when I got it, and was refinished in an ugly brown color, but most importantly no breaks or routes! It does however have a burn mark on it (as you can see in the pics). I'm not sure how it happend, but I think it actually adds a bit of character to the guitar. I tried to get as close to the original color as possible using a diluted version of Gibson red.

Most of the hardware was missing, but I was lucky enough to get the original harness containing the original Centralab pots, jack, and the Sprague bumble bee cap! I hand fabricated the pickguard and the the back control cavity cover. I Installed a Pigtail wrap-around bridge w/steel studs, and a Lindy Fralin stock P-90 dogear pickup. The neck is not huge, but its got a bit of heft to it. It plays and sounds like a dream, and if you push the overdrive, it really rocks out!

All in all I think it turned out O.K., and ready for another 45 years of rockin!!
 
Last edited:

fretwire

Active member
Joined
May 21, 2003
Messages
1,419
Very nice looking job indeed! Nice work on that pickguard too. :dude
 

V!N

New member
Joined
Oct 16, 2003
Messages
537
You did well, I bet it looks killer with your red Marshall box now. :salude
 

Toecutter

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
519
Thanks for all the kind words! It's truning out to be one of my favorite guitars, even over my R9!! I guess old wood really can't be beat...
 

hawkeye2u

New member
Joined
Jul 20, 2004
Messages
325
Man that is SOOOO NIICCEE!!!!!
GREAT job
How long did it take You?
Please tell us more
Love it can I have it?
 

Toecutter

Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
519
hawkeye2u- I added some comments to the pictures, so you can see and understand what stage of the restoration you are looking at.

The total restoration took about 2 and a half months. It took about a week or so to strip and clean the wood and plug the reamed tuner holes (as seen in the pics I installed original Kulsons).

The next week was spent on final sanding (before nitro) filling the grain and sealing the wood with shellac. I always seal with several thinned coats of shellac for safety sake. You never know if someone has applied some type of silicone to the wood. That would be a disaster and the nitro wood fisheye like crazy. The finish took about another two weeks. After that, I let the nitro dry and settle for about 4 weeks.

The final wet sanding with mineral spirits and buffing about 2 days. Then the final cleaning and assembly.

Thanks to all for the nice comments!
 
Top