• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Just got a Blockhead BLK45...

Jeff Hitman

And I'm looking for recommendations on speakers. I'll be using this with my Jenkins 2x12 that can be used open or closed back. Seems to me the Vox Blues would be barely able to handle the 35-40 watts. What about G12H's?
Cheers,
-Jeff

plaintop

BLOCKHEAD MAKE GREAT AMPS!!!!

You could do some 20-25 watt prerola speakers too. That wouldn't suck. :)spin

TedB

If you're going to use an open back 2X12" cab, you'd want to use G12 H30s or alnicos (Weber P12B Blue Dog -30w are nice). Either sounds equally great in closed back configuration as well.

rbetts

Banned
Jeff Hitman said:
And I'm looking for recommendations on speakers. I'll be using this with my Jenkins 2x12 that can be used open or closed back. Seems to me the Vox Blues would be barely able to handle the 35-40 watts. What about G12H's?
Cheers,
-Jeff

I believe the JTM 45 only puts out about 35 watts or thereabouts.

MidwestK9

I also have a BLK45. I run it either through a 69 Marshall 4x12 with GB's or a 2x12 with G12H's. It is definitely LOUDER through the G12H's, a little more bottom (not necessary with the BLK) and a little less squishy on the top. Depends on the sound you want. . .I defenitely prefer the GB's.

TedB

The 25w are ok in a closed 4X12, but if running an open back 2X12, the extra 15oz of magnet in the G12H makes a *big* improvement, especially when the volume knob is twisted. Just a suggestion.