• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Peter Green + Marshall = tone!!!

goldtop0

I stand corrected.........:2cool

Looks like the odd live recording has the tone.

Midnight Blues

No worries. Maybe he didn’t realize how cool it was then and really started using it with FM?

goldtop0

Yeah maybe.
I could imagine that John would have said 'hey Peter don't think you're ever gonna use that tone on recordings cos you ain't okay', he may have been fairly particular about things done in the studio I imagine.

deytookerjaabs

It's hard to tell to my ears because he doesn't often go full on..as in you know how in the middle position you can play with the volume knobs to balance how heavy the OOP tone is, he seems to dial it in to a point. Yet, at the same time, some of those old PAF's can have some honk by themselves so I can't make a judgement other than..yeah, definitely some honk there.

Hmm, geez, perhaps some of those 'round here who have first hand experience with my future guitar can give us some insight?

Oh, and as always, Peter ****ing Green, one of those guys who can turn the simplest little phrase into magic, world needs more of that deep subtlety.

dalezjc

So will the latest reincarnation of Fleetwood Mac include some Peter Green songs? One can only wish.

Dale

Midnight Blues

Yeah maybe.
I could imagine that John would have said 'hey Peter don't think you're ever gonna use that tone on recordings cos you ain't okay', he may have been fairly particular about things done in the studio I imagine.

I wouldn’t doubt that he was.

:salude

Midnight Blues

It's hard to tell to my ears because he doesn't often go full on..as in you know how in the middle position you can play with the volume knobs to balance how heavy the OOP tone is, he seems to dial it in to a point. Yet, at the same time, some of those old PAF's can have some honk by themselves so I can't make a judgement other than..yeah, definitely some honk there.

Hmm, geez, perhaps some of those 'round here who have first hand experience with my future guitar can give us some insight?

Oh, and as always, Peter ****ing Green, one of those guys who can turn the simplest little phrase into magic, world needs more of that deep subtlety.

That’s part of the beauty (and fun if you have that mod on one of your guitars) of the OOP. You can dial-in as much or as little as you like. Gary Moore used to do the same thing.

And you’re absolutely right about PG’s playing!

goldtop0

I listen to and play PG's tunes all the time(as best as possible).........he was one subtle tuneful cat for sure.......and as you say, turned simple things into 'now why didn't I think of that' situations/playing.
It's the fact that his playing was recorded that we can dwell on it, like BB King, an inspiration, just love it:salude
Jumpin' at Shadows and many many more.

Midnight Blues

I listen to and play PG's tunes all the time(as best as possible).........he was one subtle tuneful cat for sure.......and as you say, turned simple things into 'now why didn't I think of that' situations/playing.
It's the fact that his playing was recorded that we can dwell on it, like BB King, an inspiration, just love it:salude
Jumpin' at Shadows and many many more.

"JAS" is one of my all-time favorites, as is this (and typing of B.B., rather B.Besque I might add):

goldtop0

Thanks for posting those Midnight:salude

I need to get a copy of that Boston Tea Party Feb 1970 recording......can you help with where that might be available at all?
Cheers

Don't worry about it.......found a range of these on Amazon:doh

Last edited: