• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bonamassa Signature Firebird I?

Kris Ford

LOL! You're probably right but like I said, I'm more of a player than someone who gets hung up on the historical details. I had those lying around. Maybe sometime I'll order some different ones.

Thanks for the pics!

Just thinking they'd complete the look, I might even have a couple I could send you.:peace2

I did the same sorta on my Firebird V..I put a set of almost NOS 60's relflectors on it..here you can see how close the Philadelphia luthiers version is:

Last edited:

TM1

I have vintage knobs on mine. The new ones from Philadelphia look nice but on the originals, the inserts were never set in similar. they were set-in where ever the person who set them felt like they should go..

latkagravas

Received mine yesterday, and wow, yeah great guitar for the price, and might just be the best epi so far that I have laid my paws on, lol :)

really beefy neck profile , didnt expect that , knowing epis over the years

thumbs up :)

ZZ Not

TM1, your 'bird looks great.

How well did the Gibson TRC fit? Did you have to rework it much?

jhmp

That does look good! :salude
How would you guys rate / compare the pick ups to the more recent run of Gibson mini humbuckers?

Big Al

That does look good! :salude
How would you guys rate / compare the pick ups to the more recent run of Gibson mini humbuckers?

They are much lower output and rather sweet sounding. Very similar to how I remember my original ones sounded. Not the right choice for gainiacs as I found the pickups output quite low, yet that said, I am very pleased with the overall tone and performance of this pickup. As I do with Fenders I readjust my amp and raise the volume to account for the difference. Easy enough to change, and I planned on doing that, but after listening to my son play on it through a variety of amps, I quite like it's voice and am going to keep it on.

Anyone have one of those Gibson Truss Rods for a grumpy ol Geezer? I maybe would like to pop one on, just because you know.

TM1

TM1, your 'bird looks great.

How well did the Gibson TRC fit? Did you have to rework it much?

Thanks, I appreciate that!
TRC really lined up pretty nicely. But, I just used a toothpick and some Hide Glue to plug the holes and I have an assortment of small drill bits. I just re-drilled the holes after lining up the Gibson TRC. Took about 10 minutes to do it all. I really didn't have to fill and drill, but the holes were just a hair off and I decided to go this route. I could have just left it alone but the top hole was off by a 1/32"..

Hackubus

Les Paul Forum Member
If you don't mind my asking, where did you guys source your TRCs from?

Amp360

I tried to PM you the place I got mine but your PMs are off.

Stevie C.

Anyone know what a vintage FB1 would have used for a CTS pot value, and what size & brand of cap?

TM1

Anyone know what a vintage FB1 would have used for a CTS pot value, and what size & brand of cap?

It should have either a Centralab or CTS. `63 was a change-over year for pots at Gibson. By `64 they were using CTS almost exclusively. Volume should be 500K and the Tone should be a 250K. Reason for that is in a single pickup guitar you have a few more higher freq.'s than in a 2-pickup guitar. Using a 250K rolls off some of the topend.
Caps were also a transition that year going from Sprague .022's (a 160P model mylar cap) to a Sprague .022 ceramic disc cap. I've found SG's with both types made in `63. By `64 they used the flat, ceramic disc caps in all solid body guitars. The 160P's were still used in the semi's & archtop's and when the Les Paul's were re-introduced in mid `68, those had the 160P's.

Last edited:

Uncle Gary

Yes Gary they really do weigh that much less .The neck dive on my Bird wasn't too bad not like my 91 .I actually bought the buttons for my old bird but when I got the Epi bird I figured I try them on it as it had a little tendency to neck dive so I put them on it no more dive.By the way I just went and ordered another in sunburst

Just for the record, I have a set of the new Kluson Firebird tuners and a set of the plastic buttons. As near as I can measure them, (on a digital "fish" scale), the tuners with hardware weigh 12 ounces. The metal buttons on their own weigh 2.5 ounces, so the plastic buttons are saving around 2 ounces total. I find it hard to believe that would make a noticeable difference, but, in my experience, every bit counts when it comes to weight on the headstock. Any guitar I have with Grovers has plastic tuner buttons for that reason.