• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

ES5

Interesting thing seen on Reverb...a '53 that was supposedly sent back to the Gibson factory in 1960 to be burst'ed and re-necked for an ABR neck angle...but the p-90's stayed! Whatd'ya guys think?

2DPF4yP.png

eJU5gzj.png

Id6PAxo.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/31715976-19...t-les-paul-standard-guitar-one-of-a-kind-rare

AA00475Bassman

Seems like a lot of money for a refinished guitar & the cloudy stinger what's under the paint ?
The top is 1 piece ? Could be two piece hard to tell from photo's, 58,59,60 would be a burst how do you transition a 53 into a burst ?
I think I would buy a straight 56 skip all the stories .

Last edited:

Big Al

Seems like a lot of money for a refinished guitar & the cloudy stinger what's under the paint ?
The top is 1 piece ? Could be two piece hard to tell from photo's, 58,59,60 would be a burst how do you transition a 53 into a burst ?
I do not see plugs for the 53 tail piece was this guitar re topped ?

53 with bail bridge had no holes in top. I have seen quite a few of these old Goldtops with the same 60's factory burst refin. I think it was a common thing to do. It is what it is and it is cool. Value to be determined by buyer.

GuitarMikey

They also have two M-69 pickup rings for a "new lower price" of $9,495. Get those and some PAFs and you could get started on a $110,000 53/60 conversion :salude:spabout

fakejake

Is that the one that popped up at Rudy's a couple of months ago?

Tarcisioo

I mean, you are paying for original 1960 Gibson nitrocellulose. The guitar has been authenticated and there are factory stamps on it (although I didn't spot any on the pictures).

I wouldn't call this simply a conversion or a refin, that's quite unfair. But should it cost 200% more than a modern conversion? I don't know. I would guess so. If it wasn't a 1960 tomato soup, and let's say a great 59 burst, I bet the price would be higher. The number 59 carries some weight for whoever is selling, lol

thin sissy

I don't know anything about value, but I do think it's a cool anomaly and hope it stays a "P-90 1960 burst" :)

J.D.

Top might have a slightly offset seam near the D string.

AA00475Bassman

I mean, you are paying for original 1960 Gibson nitrocellulose. The guitar has been authenticated and there are factory stamps on it (although I didn't spot any on the pictures).

I wouldn't call this simply a conversion or a refin, that's quite unfair. But should it cost 200% more than a modern conversion? I don't know. I would guess so. If it wasn't a 1960 tomato soup, and let's say a great 59 burst, I bet the price would be higher. The number 59 carries some weight for whoever is selling, lol

(you are paying for original 1960 Gibson nitrocellulose.)

So how much is up charge for this 89,995.00 factory refinished Guitar ?

How much is 1960 Nitro finish worth ?

All this & no sign of the Burst Police , They must all be eating donut's !

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
(you are paying for original 1960 Gibson nitrocellulose.)

So how much is up charge for this 89,995.00 factory refinished Guitar ?

How much is 1960 Nitro finish worth ?

All this & no sign of the Burst Police , They must all be eating donut's !

Who is that? :wah

jimmi

Factory stoptail and tunomatic with factory ‘60 burst nitro. I would put PAFs in it. I would. I am reluctant generally to commit further sin on a vintage instrument but it is so close I think the temptation would be to big.

AA00475Bassman

53 with bail bridge had no holes in top. I have seen quite a few of these old Goldtops with the same 60's factory burst refin. I think it was a common thing to do. It is what it is and it is cool. Value to be determined by buyer.
I was for some reason thinking 54, well aware of the configuration 53 corrected my post as soon as possible. So tonight I read your correction thank you for taking your time to correct my post !

J.D.

Factory stoptail and tunomatic with factory ‘60 burst nitro. I would put PAFs in it. I would. I am reluctant generally to commit further sin on a vintage instrument but it is so close I think the temptation would be to big.

I'd be tempted as well, as long as the P90 routes were completely hidden. Would have to be a very precise job by someone who knows what they are doing.

At the asking price, though, seems this one is going to stay as-is for awhile :wah

Tarcisioo

If I had the money, I would pay for that. A little negotiation here and there. I simply can't understand why isn't ok for this very unique guitar only touched by Gibson on their golden years to cost, let's say, 80 to 90k, but it's ok for a bland burst to cost 150-200k

I hope it sells and I hope it never loses it's P-90s

If the price is really that high, I hope burst prices go down, as this guitar looks more valueable to me than many plaintop bursts.

thin sissy

If I had the money, I would pay for that. A little negotiation here and there. I simply can't understand why isn't ok for this very unique guitar only touched by Gibson on their golden years to cost, let's say, 80 to 90k, but it's ok for a bland burst to cost 150-200k

I hope it sells and I hope it never loses it's P-90s

If the price is really that high, I hope burst prices go down, as this guitar looks more valueable to me than many plaintop bursts.
Well put :salude . I just can't imagine how this is less cool (a genuine factory 1960 burst with P-90's!) than yet another PAF conversion, with plugged routes that never are invisible, no matter the skill of the luthier. All the conversions I've seen lately makes me really glad I at least have a 55 P-90 goldtop. :hmm

J.D.

+1

Pretty much any original guitar, converted to something it is not (regardless of who did it and when) is generally going to have a market value much less than its original equivalent.