• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Red Thread: Factory Red Gibsons from the Golden Era

Elliot Easton

That is incorrect. Both versions of the Trini have the 24 3/4 scale while the Kessell has the 25 1/2. Here the page from the '66 catalog:

abalonevintage

Measure one... :salude

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182893

1966_Gibson_Trini_lopez_Custom_Fingerboard.jpg

From Fretted America's website:

"This extremely rare Cherry Sunburst custom version (with the Barney Kessel-style body rather than the normal ES-335 body) is one of only two Trini Lopez Customs shipped in the first year of 1964, out of a total of 302 shipped between 1964 and 1970. It weighs 7.50 lbs. and a nice, fat nut width of 1 11/16 inches and a scale length of 25 1/2 inches."

http://www.frettedamericana.com/product/1964-gibson-trini-lopez-custom-0

abalonevintage

(EDIT: Looks like the one with the narrow pickup spacing is Trini's actual guitar and there are no other Deluxes with the short scale.)

Compare the Deluxe on the right to the catalog.

GUITAR_dickclark-trini.jpg

Last edited:

ZZ Not

How about this L5CT beauty that recently showed up at Wildwood Guitars.

abalonevintage

Well, at least I remembered that at least one Trini Deluxe was short scale, lol!

The only reason I figured it out was because I have some NOS 60's fingerboards...that didn't conform to anything I was reading....books...catalogs. All parroting the wrong info. :fc :laugh2:

Elliot Easton

The only reason I figured it out was because I have some NOS 60's fingerboards...that didn't conform to anything I was reading....books...catalogs. All parroting the wrong info. :fc :laugh2:

Welcome to the wild, crazy ride that is Gibson, lol!

Danny W.

Red guitars from Gibson's new golden age:

RedCollection1_zps5d7686e4.jpg

Might not be vintage, but each is a great guitar!

Danny W.

Phil 52

Not from the Golden Era. But I always loved this one.

ES 135 Swingmaster

ew0a.jpg

6oth.jpg

0sm7.jpg

Phil 52

Was just doing some online searching, and came across something I'd seen before, but hadn't posted here. This one is a '61, apparently custom ordered with a red body and a black top. At least the back photo belongs in this thread (but I'll post both).

p2_uslgcn4ml_so.jpg

p1_umjnqncrr_so.jpg

Rare bird!

Just came back to this thread and I have to say that this is for sure one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen.
... and while turning 62 this summer, I've seen a few. :salude

RAB

Sure is gorgeous! Rather than having to choose between elegant black and rich cherry red you get to enjoy both!

bramley

One of the rarest.

Grady Martin's " Big Red" , now in the possession of Pete Wade.

Picture5-12.png