• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Given the choice, which one of these would you buy and why?

Broz

2005 Gibson LP Standard Faded Tobacco burst OR 2013 Gibson LP Standard Premium Iced Tea Burst Birdseye Maple.

If money was not an issue which one would you prefer and why?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 71
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 79

thxphotog

2005 Gibson LP Standard Faded Tobacco burst OR 2013 Gibson LP Standard Premium Iced Tea Burst Birdseye Maple.

If money was not an issue which one would you prefer and why?

Maybe if I saw them in person my opinion would change, but strictly from an aesthetic perspective, I'm not a fan of the bird's eye maple for the body. Strat necks sure, but not on an LP.

That faded Tobacco just oozes cool mojo. Easily my choice.

sonar

If we are going by looks alone I'd go with the Faded, but like anything Gibson play before you pay.

Broz

Maybe if I saw them in person my opinion would change, but strictly from an aesthetic perspective, I'm not a fan of the bird's eye maple for the body. Strat necks sure, but not on an LP.

That faded Tobacco just oozes cool mojo. Easily my choice.
My thoughts too. The flame on the birdseye is stunning, but maybe too 'pretty' for a LP. Like you, I'm drawn towards the faded Tobacco, though I'm sure many wouldn't be.

Broz

If we are going by looks alone I'd go with the Faded, but like anything Gibson play before you pay.
Agree, and wish I could, but distance is my enemy. Interesting that the considerably more expensive guitar loses favour, but somehow reassuring.

Big Al

I like Birdseye. That is some excellent quality Birdseye and that means high quality Eastern Sugar Rock Hard Maple. Too pretty for a Les Paul Top? That is the most clueless statement about Les Paul Standards I've seen. How pretty the top is seems to be the overiding concern for most and has a direct effect on desirability and value. Too pretty, good one. :laugh2::laugh2:

Broz

I like Birdseye. That is some excellent quality Birdseye and that means high quality Eastern Sugar Rock Hard Maple. Too pretty for a Les Paul Top? That is the most clueless statement about Les Paul Standards I've seen. How pretty the top is seems to be the overiding concern for most and has a direct effect on desirability and value. Too pretty, good one. :laugh2::laugh2:
Thanks for your input into this discussion. So far that's 1 vote for the Birdseye and 4 for the not so 'pretty' Faded Tobacco, but of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder šŸ˜‰

Truss Rob

Not a fan of the Birdseye . Like most here, I would need an up close and personal , but I would lean towards the faded burst. Curious to know what the asking price is on both?

Trans-Am

If the ICED TEA had the flames it would be the one so in other words I guess you can say that i prefer the flame side as it shows more in lighting when shone naturally or with lighting etc. Gives it a nice traditional take on what a Les Paul did look originally per say until after other finish and material offerings. The so called maple speckles reminds me of an OSTRICH take by Gibson not my coin...No pun intended:peace2

The Birdseye on a neck for me is great btw!

Besides when you look at a Les Paul or see one with or without the head stock, you know it's a Paul.

My vote is for the FLAMES.

Big Al

Thanks for your input into this discussion. So far that's 1 vote for the Birdseye and 4 for the not so 'pretty' Faded Tobacco, but of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder ��

Well there is only a small number of Birdseye 50's Burst and a few more in Blister so the more common Flame/ stripey figure is by far more popular. In any vote the more familiar will be more popular.

The choice, in my case, is simply a personal preference for high quality Birdseye figure. I simply find it to be most elegantly beautiful, and much rarer in dense figure. Although another preference is for natural blond on birdseye and I would feel compelled to refinish the top.

There is no right or wrong, other than which one speaks to you, which is why I never understand these types of threads. Better full on photos would better showcase each guitar.

Wattage

On looks alone the Faded by a mile but who knows how they play and sound:hmm

I own an '05 Standard Faded in Honeyburst, bought it new, it has been a great guitar. It's been through the ringer - flattened out the original bridge, got a lightweight alum tail, had at least 6 pickup changes, a cracked headstock, and multitude of different knobs - it'll be with me til the end I imagine. From the moment I picked it up it felt like my favorite pair of jeans, it has worn in so nicely.

1519620426_lpsf05.jpg