• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Joe B.’s ultimate guitar safari...introducing The Bosco Burst!

JBLPplayer

How many Bursts does Joe have now? I know he moved a couple along when he got Amos and another early V (I think...)
so I lost count.
How many guitars total (roughly) and how many amps?

I own 12 of them now. The Bosco Burst is a great guitar that I purchased from the original owner in Melbourne Florida. Al and his brother Frank bought the guitar in 1959 from their guitar teacher in New York. After Frank passed Al held the guitar until this year and finally decided to sell it. A friend of Al’s suggested that he contact me about possibly purchasing it. He reached out to Norm at Norman’s Rare Guitars and Norm called me. I spoke to Al via telephone for a few weeks and agreed on a price and arranged to drive down from Nashville to Melbourne Florida a few weeks ago. Three things that I love about this guitar. The Color, The Sound and most importantly I made a new friend in Al Bosco. I had to pay a lot of money for this guitar. There are no deals on this kind of stuff especially uncirculated and an original owner. The deciding factor for me was that I really liked Al as person and knew how hard a process this was for him to finally let it go. It’s 8.4 pounds of Les Paul goodness that I am blessed to own. Didn’t need a screw driver to tell this guitar was right. It revealed itself when the case opened. Joe B
PS: The original photos in black and white helped too.

Last edited:

AA00475Bassman

Cool story , Glad to see JB owning this guitar . The guitar Ambassador Joe is the guy !!!

lare65

I own 12 of them now. The Bosco Burst is a great guitar that I purchased from the original owner in Melbourne Florida. Al and his brother Frank bought the guitar in 1959 from their guitar teacher in New York. After Frank passed Al held the guitar until this year and finally decided to sell it. A friend of Al’s suggested that he contact me about possibly purchasing it. He reached out to Norm at Norman’s Rare Guitars and Norm called me. I spoke to Al via telephone for a few weeks and agreed on a price and arranged to drive down from Nashville to Melbourne Florida a few weeks ago. Three things that I love about this guitar. The Color, The Sound and most importantly I made a new friend in Al Bosco. I had to pay a lot of money for this guitar. There are no deals on this kind of stuff especially uncirculated and an original owner. The deciding factor for me was that I really liked Al as person and knew how hard a process this was for him to finally let it go. It’s 8.4 pounds of Les Paul goodness that I am blessed to own. Didn’t need a screw driver to tell this guitar was right. It revealed itself when the case opened. Joe B

Congratulation to a spectacular find!! Great story and I agree on the colour, magical! And the sound in your hands too..:salude

MapleFlame

It reminds me of the dark burst Koss played on Mr. Big video. Enjoy in good health. Bout to go up to Adirondacks to Snowmobile/Ski. N.Y. pride.:dude:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Thanks Joe! :salude

agogetr

12 bursts! id be guilty as charged too if i had the scratchorama. i saw joe do a rig rundown and he banged some chords out with a burst through his dumbles and !!!!! man even through my 16 dollar headphones.. thick lush awesome crunchy goodness. just flat killer tone. when he combines those with his signature twins i think he has about the best tone goin. imao (in my arrogant opinion)

viper007

I own 12 of them now.

Maybe this is a rude and out of order, please tell me in that case, but is the 12:

9-0378, 9-0829, 9-0917, 9-1948, 9-1951, 0-0162, 0-1491, 0-7171, 0-7452, 0-7453, 0-8089 and 0-8145?

Last edited:

StSpider

Honestly, just from that small clip on instagram I get the feeling that this burst sounds really really darn good. Congrats!

joemags54

Thank you JBLPlayer for filling in the details.
My dear friend Ed Clark had sent me the pic of the guitar prior to sale .
Absolutely blown away by the color.. (And of course the sound when you posted playing in Al's kitchen!)
When Ed told me who he suggested to Al, for a potential buyer, of course, I couldn't have agreed more wholeheartedly.
Al had graciously offered Ed, 2 of the VIP passes if he could make it to FLA.
We both stayed at Al's house, who is an absolute "old school" gentleman, while we were down in Florida.
Thank you again, for the tickets ,and the opportunity to shake your hand after the show.
As tired as you probably were, it was obvious you would talk guitars all night! lol.
So once again, congratulations MR B.
The Bosco Burst couldn't be in better custodial hands..
Being a small part of this has been an amazing experience.
P.S., In one of the B & W photos I noticed the metal pick guard thingy was not there.. Have a look again.
Bless you all, and keep on rockin'. IMG_1916.jpg

Last edited:

Rotovibe

Congrats Joe! She’s a beauty!

Pellman73

cool story

Thanks for taking us along for the ride!

I can imagine these Guitar Safaris can be super addicting. the whole process... the hunt... the deal.... the anticipation on the ride... that moment just before opening the case...

just knowing how excited I get when I get a new guitar-- something like this I'm sure takes it to a whole new level

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
0D1FD327-CB92-458C-87AF-43BFA80566FD-XL.jpg

If you look closely you can see the ground wire. It breaks thru the maple right on the 90 degree edge of the 1" Fostner bore.

View attachment 9186

I have no idea what a "Foster bore" is or what you are talking about.
It would be better to use the full size photo rather than the tiny version.
I still don't see the ground wire going to the tailpiece or the bridge. :hmm

Unbound Dot Neck

Ah Melborne Beach ~ South of Coco
Know it well, Ital pizza and more , lol
Bizzaro.. Long Board House
A1A

Birth place of the #1 lizard ` , Jim Morrison

Sleepy place. Nice turtle nesting grounds, Leather Backs an more
I have watched egg layin on a full moon,, there. Whoa.
Bucket list , indeed

:salude