• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Banker Handcrafted Guitars - The Midnight Special.

ourmaninthenorth

Here’s a short review of this superb guitar.

Singularly handmade by Matt Hughes, fellow member of the LPF and owner of Banker Guitars, for Charlie Starr and now residing under English skies.

The ancient Mahogany originates from the Monkey River in Belize, best guess puts this at 300+ years old. Benjamin Franklin was just a boy when this was felled.

FFtkoyN.jpg

A one-piece body, replete with forearm and belly contours, finished in a thin coat of nitro, and coupled with a hand carved, soft V shaped neck from the same wood rings like a bell and sustains forever. Unplugged, and striking an open E chord, I had time to go and make a cup of tea before it stopped resonating. This guitar is alive all over the body and neck…it’s extraordinary. I’d estimate it’s about 8 ½ lb’s on the strap.

apSnaFM.jpg

oyIH8Rk.jpg

wSc3a80.jpg

qNpJ4VY.jpg

An East Indian board is finished to perfection with medium Stewmac 154 wire, the fretwork is exemplary.

pVPIlbL.jpg

Damascus steel makes up the ironwork, beautiful patterns picked out by acid on this folded steel process adds a touch of real class to this already gorgeous looking guitar. I haven’t captured it very well in the photos, but in real life it’s stunning.

EsW1ayj.jpg

m4VByG9.jpg

The pickups are a set of Bob Tyson 57 P90’s – have a search around, some great reviews, and a couple of Doug and Pat Road Trip videos meeting with the man himself. I love P90’s, and have played enough old ones to say that I couldn’t pick these ones out as new ones. Plenty in the locker for a tear up, yet with a lovely rounded full voice. Across the range they are fantastic.

EsW1ayj.jpg

I believe it’s a pointless exercise trying to describe sound, and even if it isn’t, I don’t have the skill to do it. However, I will say this, it took me 10 seconds to realise that I’m going to love owning this master-built guitar for many many years to come, indeed it feels as though I’ve been playing it for decades already. I know you know what I mean.

The obligatory shot...

DJnBBjK.jpg

Bravo Matt, truly.

thin sissy

Great concept for a guitar, I love every feature of it! :dude:

renderit

Looks awesome and I LOVE soft V's!

Probably my favorite shape.

Let's you get some leverage for a little 'extra squeeze'!

What caliber is the 12th fret?

ourmaninthenorth

Looks awesome and I LOVE soft V's!

Probably my favorite shape.

Let's you get some leverage for a little 'extra squeeze'!

What caliber is the 12th fret?

Feels very much like an early SG neck Ren - bloody lovely.

It says 45 on it, is that the calibre, I don't know about such acrobatics, we're still on bow and arrows in the Motherland....:biggrin:

What I'd like to know though is, if I drop this on my foot, does it count as a shooting?

renderit

Feels very much like an early SG neck Ren - bloody lovely.

It says 45 on it, is that the calibre, I don't know about such acrobatics, we're still on bow and arrows in the Motherland....:biggrin:

What I'd like to know though is, if I drop this on my foot, does it count as a shooting?

45's are my favorite.

Nice whoosh and gentle lift.

The shooting count is whether you are right or left of the guitar when dropped.

If you are left, yes it counts. Even if a cop dropped it on your foot.

If you are right of it your opinion matters not one wit apparently.

But seriously, the neck is what matters and I'm glad you got some screamin' P90's!

Sounds like seriously excellent choices were made.

The wood is gorgeous! I have played a few 'sinkers' and am jealous!

What does Audrey think with you prone on the floor taking those pictures?
My Mrs shakes her head sadly when I do stuff like that.
The things we love...
Approved BTW- we dig the strap- and the pics.
And the smile.

ourmaninthenorth

Great concept for a guitar, I love every feature of it! :dude:

Thank you kindly Friend.

The way Matt has melded together the multiple references is indeed both a great concept, and absolutely fantastic in execution.

:salude

Pellman73

" Plenty in the locker for a tear up, yet with a lovely rounded full voice. Across the range they are fantastic."

this is as good a description as you can give!

thin sissy

Thank you kindly Friend.

The way Matt has melded together the multiple references is indeed both a great concept, and absolutely fantastic in execution.

:salude
I can only imagine the responsive sound that bridge and P-90's give you! The wood choice is awesome, I wish to try something similar some day :dude: