• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Best Low Watt Tube Amp?

sonar

Also surprising to me the only one that they had that I thought was able to produce a fat growl of an overdriven tube sound was the BlackStar HT-5R 1-12" and seemed to have several ways to dial in to some different usable sounds. So of the newer amps, I have one so far But still interested in some of those really nice old ones that I'm sure you probably have lying around in a closet somewhere!

I lean toward older, vintage Fender and Marshall tones, yet I really like the Blackstar stuff for value and change of pace. I have a little HT1-R that I have a blast playing with a Les Paul. Great crunch. If I was younger and playing what I used to play I'd probably play Blackstar over Peavey, and definately over any new Marshall design.

Big Al

I lean toward older, vintage Fender and Marshall tones, yet I really like the Blackstar stuff for value and change of pace. I have a little HT1-R that I have a blast playing with a Les Paul. Great crunch. If I was younger and playing what I used to play I'd probably play Blackstar over Peavey, and definately over any new Marshall design.

The amps you try and like are best indicators where to look. We all tend to find our own way. Try to find a Tech 21 Trademark 30. Worth a listen. I find, for me, a good, full harmonicly rich clean tone is key. I want bold and cleanish tones that I can use with various "Filth or Fur or Fuzz", the three F's, to tailor my distortion tones. Old fart style.

If your smiling and loving it after playing for an hour or so thinkin' you was only wailin' away for 15 minutes, .... well that's it, done deal. The Blackstar may be it.
Jimmy makes a valid point about the Boss Katana. AMAZING VALUE AND UTILITY!!! Try to play one.

Big Al

The 50-watt 112 Katana costs less than a good dinner with wine. :salude

It is nuts how affordable they are. Usable loud stage ready gig amps AND real bedroom level practice amp. I want to try the new Pro models.

mdubya

The amps you try and like are best indicators where to look. We all tend to find our own way. Try to find a Tech 21 Trademark 30. Worth a listen. I find, for me, a good, full harmonicly rich clean tone is key. I want bold and cleanish tones that I can use with various "Filth or Fur or Fuzz", the three F's, to tailor my distortion tones. Old fart style.

If your smiling and loving it after playing for an hour or so thinkin' you was only wailin' away for 15 minutes, .... well that's it, done deal. The Blackstar may be it.
Jimmy makes a valid point about the Boss Katana. AMAZING VALUE AND UTILITY!!! Try to play one.

I played my Tech 21 British pedal though my powered speaker tonight, thinking about this thread and how a Tech 21 Fly Rig through a powered speaker could just about do it all: clean, Plexi, you get delay and a boost. If it sounds anywhere near as good as my British pedal, it is a sure bet. The Trademark is right there, too.

Another vote for the Katana. It has so many possibilities.

This setup was one of the best low volume JTM45 rigs I have ever used. It was almost embarrassing how good it sounded. The Bad Monkey was used for speaker emulation, only. Dime the fuzz, hit it with the OD 808 boost, Master Volume it with the speaker volume control. Screaming Brown tones at whisper volumes.

HJ2F846.jpg

RJLII

Looking for a low watt tube amp to play Blues & Blues/Rock at small venues and in the house (so that I don't hear it from the family). Was leaning towards a VOX AC4C1-12.

Prefer to stay around 5 Watt (unless it has a switch from 15 watt to 5 Watt feature). Also looking to pay as little as possible, but might go up to around $350 so used is a strong option.

What do you guys think about all of these...any recommendations?

1) Vox AC4C1-12 Classic 4W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp

2) Blackstar HT-5R 5-Watt 1x12-Inch Guitar Combo Amp reverb

3) Fender Blues Junior III 15-Watt 12-Inch Guitar Combo Amp

4) Laney Amps CUB All TUBE Series CUB 12R 15-Watt 1x12 Guitar Combo Amplifier

5) (New) Monoprice 611815 15Watt, 1 x 12 Guitar Combo Tube Amplifier with Celestion Speaker & Spring Reverb

A couple of questions so I can frame a meaningful response:

Will this be be your only amp? If not, what else is in the stable?

What kind of music do you play?

How far away can you get from the family while practicing?

Thanks in advance for answers. Trying to help.

mzblues1

Actually never heard of Katina, so I'll look into those. If they are good for the home and out, that would definetly be a big bonus.

A couple of questions so I can frame a meaningful response:

Will this be be your only amp? If not, what else is in the stable?

What kind of music do you play?

How far away can you get from the family while practicing?

Thanks in advance for answers. Trying to help.

I currently have a Fender Deluxe Reverb with a Celestion Alnico Bulldog 12" and master volume added on the back.
Also a Marshall JCM 800 50 watt Combo.

If I had an amp that could be as clean and great reverb like the Fender, but crank up to the Marshall gain, that would be great.
However, I seem to tend towards the Marshall most of the time.

And don't suggest a Mesa Boogie can do both, as I have one of those too [50 Calaber +]. As far as I'm concerned, the MESA doesn't do Fender as good as the Fender does, and the MESA doesn't do Marshall as good as the Marshall does, which is why I will be selling it after I get this practice amp. It does MESA good though!

With the Fender and Marshall that I have, I have all the sounds that I would ever need (or want) with those 2 amps.

Now I just need one that I can play in the house without being nagged about it.

mzblues1

It is nuts how affordable they are. Usable loud stage ready gig amps AND real bedroom level practice amp. I want to try the new Pro models.

Is the 5 watt setting really usable for home, or is it too loud?

RJLII

Actually never heard of Katina, so I'll look into those. If they are good for the home and out, that would definetly be a big bonus.

I currently have a Fender Deluxe Reverb with a Celestion Alnico Bulldog 12" and master volume added on the back.
Also a Marshall JCM 800 50 watt Combo.

If I had an amp that could be as clean and great reverb like the Fender, but crank up to the Marshall gain, that would be great.
However, I seem to tend towards the Marshall most of the time.

And don't suggest a Mesa Boogie can do both, as I have one of those too [50 Calaber +]. As far as I'm concerned, the MESA doesn't do Fender as good as the Fender does, and the MESA doesn't do Marshall as good as the Marshall does, which is why I will be selling it after I get this practice amp. It does MESA good though!

With the Fender and Marshall that I have, I have all the sounds that I would ever need (or want) with those 2 amps.

Now I just need one that I can play in the house without being nagged about it.

Thanks. Have you thought about an attenuator for use with the amps you have? If the whole goal is keeping the tones you have but reducing the volume that sounds like the best bet.

mzblues1

Thanks. Have you thought about an attenuator for use with the amps you have? If the whole goal is keeping the tones you have but reducing the volume that sounds like the best bet.

Is doing that really going to give me the same as everything on "11" LOL.

I have never had the opportunity to get to play with the amp full throttle
As that has generally has been too loud in most indoor situations (and definitely too loud for home).

Also to be honest, although my current amps are not "big", they still are F'g heavy to me.

So I kind of would like another amp that sounds like the big boys, but is an easy (light) grab & go to play at home, jam with friends or play a small venue. That would be ideal, if possible.

Something like the new Origin 5 or 20 would be ideal, if the Marketing geniuses at Marshall didn't think saving a dollar using 8" & 10" speakers instead of 12's is the way to be able to sell the most amps.
Also a lower competitive price would also be nice...wishfull thinking.

0 2339

so to sum i:

-you want fenderish (blackface) cleans & marshallesque overdrive/distortion?
-small enough to crank at home but loud enough to keep up at jam sessions?
-light weight, low power but big sound?
-your budget is still around 350?

unless you go ss/modeling the only way to go with your budget is an attenuator imho. plus, you mentioned you get all the sounds you "ever wanted" out of your two amps so consider yourself LUCKY - some folks seem to spend a lifetime on that. attenuator with impedance matching is a great thing and for your budget you should be able to get a badcat unleash or similar which is quite great in my opinion. will it give you the same feeling as everything on "11" (i LOVE that movie : )) ) ? no, cause there's a lot less air moving. other than that it's still great sounding with slight adjustments on your tone controls...

mzblues1

so to sum i:

-you want fenderish (blackface) cleans & marshallesque overdrive/distortion?
-your budget is still around 350?

attenuator with impedance matching is a great thing and for your budget you should be able to get a badcat unleash or similar which is quite great in my opinion.

Wow! Your better than a doctor! Your description is 100% accurate.

O.K. I see an Attenuator should work, but I would need an amp with it already built in or I would have to mod it myself, as the Badcat Unleash that you are talking about costs more than the amp (and it looks like it might be a few LBs too).

I didn't know about the Bad Cat company and noticed that they make some nice looking amps which new are out of my price range.

However, what about a used Bad Cat Cougar 5 5W Class A Tube Guitar Combo Amp?
It comes with a 12" Celestion Vintage 30, and seems to be available close to my price range.

Actually the 15 Watt with Spring Reverb and more tone controls looks even better (but I'm reading it is made in China and may not clean up enough, or overdrive to Marshall sounds).

Or any other other suggestions now knowing exactly what I want.

Last edited:

0 2339

Wow! Your better than a doctor! Your description is 100% accurate.

O.K. I see an Attenuator should work, but I would need an amp with it already built in or I would have to mod it myself, as the Badcat Unleash that you are talking about costs more than the amp (and it looks like it might be a few LBs too).

I didn't know about the Bad Cat company and noticed that they make some nice looking amps which new are out of my price range.

However, what about a used Bad Cat Cougar 5 5W Class A Tube Guitar Combo Amp?
It comes with a 12" Celestion Vintage 30, and seems to be available close to my price range.

Actually the 15 Watt with Spring Reverb and more tone controls looks even better!

Or any other other suggestions now knowing exactly what I want.

weight is not a problem with the badcat, should be around 3 pounds i guess. not sure what you mean with your first sentence but you just put an attenuator between your amp and the speakers - no mods or so, just speaker cable to hook it up.

besides the unleash i have zero experience with bad cat's products as they're impossible to find where i am so i'm of no help on that....

the problem i'm seeing with your wishes is that you like two very different amp designs and probably you're using them for different applications. it might be possible to find an amp that can aproximate both sounds but it will always be a compromise and probably an expensive one. it seems you're not in a rush so i'd just play any available amp that crosses your path and if it's out of your budget yet wait some months, get the dough and buy what sounds best. no need to settle on compromises as we're living in a great time if you're into gear... besides that you have 2 great amps (!!) already

that said, i once more suggest an attenuator with impedance matching :salude

edit: have you ever thought about a brownface fender? there are good clones that are going for quite reasonable money on the used market...

Cliff Gress

If you have $350 and think you might pop for an attenuator too (not cheap), then just buy a new Marshall Origin 20 for $649. These attenuate. 10" Celestion, EL34s.

RJLII

Is doing that really going to give me the same as everything on "11" LOL.

Yes and no. The tone can actually be quite good. One component is missing though, the sound pressure.

If I want a raging amp sound at "don't piss off the wife" volumes I use dirt pedals. There are good ones out there. The stuff from Barber (Direct Drive and LTD in particular) interact very well with Marshall and Marshall style amps. All my amps are of Fender style topology, so I use a Timmy, an Xotic AC Booster, and an Xotic RC Booster depending on the amount of rage I want to hear

mzblues1

Not sure what you mean with your first sentence.

the problem i'm seeing with your wishes is that you like two very different amp designs and probably you're using them for different applications. it might be possible to find an amp that can aproximate both sounds but it will always be a compromise and probably an expensive one.

that said, i once more suggest an attenuator with impedance matching :salude

edit: have you ever thought about a brownface fender?

What I meant by "Your description is 100% accurate" was in reference to your description about what I am looking for:
"-you want fenderish (blackface) cleans & marshallesque overdrive/distortion?
-your budget is still around 350?"

Yes, I understand the compromise and won't be unreasonable actually thinking that I will get a Fender/Marshall amp. So of the two, I would be satisfied with getting just the Marshall Crunch, as long as it also will have enough headroom that it can also be cleaned up enough "big Marshall type Clean is fine". Just a decent clean sound (not muddy or over saturated).

I would prefer not to have to go through the trouble of hooking everything up (sorry, I'm kind of lazy) with an Attenuator with impedance matching as a separate piece. Is there a kit available that can be installed into the Combo that is already there when you need it, that is not too expensive?

Again, I do love the brownface Fender sound, but I need the Marshall crunch which that doesn't quite ever reach.

Do you know anything about the Egnater Tweaker-112 Guitar Combo Amp with the 12" "Custom Voiced Egnater Elite GH-50 by Celestion".
It sounded really good on some online videos and is able to create a variety of different sounds (really clean to really not...)?
Might be able to get a used one in price point. But not sure if its low enough for the house or if I would still need an Attenuator.

mzblues1

If you have $350 and think you might pop for an attenuator too (not cheap), then just buy a new Marshall Origin 20 for $649. These attenuate. 10" Celestion, EL34s.

Yes, I would love that amp if only it was a 12" speaker!

Have you heard it with the 10", as honestly I haven't yet?

Also, do you know if it is big enough to be able to change the baffle and put a 12" in it in the future?
If so, then I would definitely be willing to get one of those and be very happy with that as is with the 10" for now.

0 2339

i still think attenuator is the way to go, it's not more work than hooking up an fx pedal + with an attenuator that let's you choose input impedence you will be able to play any amp at bedroom levels. even a 5watt tube amp is plenty loud if you drive it hard so it might not be ideal for home use either. and you mentioned you wanna use a 12" exclusively.... another thing to consider is that a 5 watt tube amp will probably not hang clean with a drummer... depending on the style you play of course. that brings you back to the likes of 2x6v6/el84 and so on amps and back to definitely too loud for home use... so one last time this brings us back to an attenuator or any of the before mentioned ss/modeling/hybrid amps...

any decent amp tech should be able to install an onboard attenuator to your amps... which is probably more expensive than a good outboard unit.

and once more - play as many amps as you can, nothing else is a substitute for experience, not even all the well meaning replies on a forum... :eek:la

Last edited:

Cliff Gress

Yes, I would love that amp if only it was a 12" speaker!

Have you heard it with the 10", as honestly I haven't yet?

Also, do you know if it is big enough to be able to change the baffle and put a 12" in it in the future?
If so, then I would definitely be willing to get one of those and be very happy with that as is with the 10" for now.

I've just heard the videos but the specs are good. 12"? I don't know, call Marshall.