• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What causes the flame in maple?

Grog

w/flamed mahogany being one of the coolest

Old post, but reminded me of an EB-0 I had & sold a few years back. I've seen 3 of these now & they were all basses. I'm assuming that the figuring was undesirable at the time & they used the wood on basses.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
5rUW1ZPh.jpg
[/FONT]

Blackjack30

As a kid in the 60's & 70's i saw figured wood in gun stocks, furniture & some musical instruments like violins but not too many guitars.
In the 80's the figured woods in guitars really took off.
Love me some good flame maple on a Les Paul.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
As a kid in the 60's & 70's i saw figured wood in gun stocks, furniture & some musical instruments like violins but not too many guitars. In the 80's the figured woods in guitars really took off. Love me some good flame maple on a Les Paul.

In the heyday of hollowbody jazz guitars, wasn't it traditional for the flamed wood to be on the guitars' backs, ala violins? I remember reading that a few guitarists were a bit confused initially, when the flame-top Les Pauls first started rolling out in 1958.

(Speaking of which, great looking axe in your photo. :yah)

Blackjack30

In the heyday of hollowbody jazz guitars, wasn't it traditional for the flamed wood to be on the guitars' backs, ala violins? I remember reading that a few guitarists were a bit confused initially, when the flame-top Les Pauls first started rolling out in 1958.

(Speaking of which, great looking axe in your photo. :yah)
Yes thats true about the figured backs of Jazz types. Only thing for me was most semi hollow i saw as a kid were painted guitars & not sunbursts. I remember the first time i saw a Tobacco burst Les Paul i was instantly & forever star-struck.
Same thing with Joe Walsh, Gary Richwrath, Jimmy Page & many others they were the genesis of my weakness for Gibson guitars.