• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

David Gilmour auctioning off 120 guitars

deytookerjaabs

Dang !!, tell us how you really feel :hmm

:laugh2:

It's all black and white bro. We believe you can't have markets and commonwealth coexist, it's not possible, lol. This is why you can have a better conversation with a mentally handicap individual on a bus in Spain regarding such things than you can with the average American. :dang

It's not their fault, they're just victims of 24/7 media onslaughts.

Anyways, if David Gilmour is getting some sublime gajillion dollar tax break the onus is on any cynic to prove it. He's got **** figured out quite well and in his youth made incredibly well calculated artistic decisions which is far more than most of us pickers will do in our life spans. Sometimes I think we forgot that art supersedes having a guitar-off because music is sort of a form of art and all.

Clapton did the same and by no means is the same as Gilmour in the realm of social thought, good on both of them for being "communists" :laugh2: :salude

corpse

The strats will sell for ridiculous money.
And TB- I love ya- and I know you would take any profit you made from selling your gear and put it in the front lawn and light it on fire- but God bless America- it's what we do here- make money on stuff.

Texas Blues

I would like to apologize to all the forum members here for my previous post.

I should have never posted it as it is irrelevant to the forum.

Ever see a guy try to take his pants off over his head?

Yeah.

I did that.

Please accept my humble apology.

cincyguitar

I wonder what his black Strat will sell for....will it go for over a $Million?...all the doctors and lawyers will get new guitars....:dang

ourmaninthenorth

I always feel a touch of sadness to see the tools of ones trade put up for sale.

It marks somewhat of an end to a significant part of a persons life.

I hope it gets him where he needs to be.

Dave P

It's a nice thing he is doing if indeed the money is going to charity. There's no doubt a few of those guitars are going to fetch massive amounts of money. Let's face it, he isn't getting any younger, and you can't take them with you when the party's over. No matter what he plays, he will always sound like David Gilmour.

jrgtr42

I wonder what his black Strat will sell for....will it go for over a $Million?...all the doctors and lawyers will get new guitars....:dang

What did Clapton's Blackie go for? Adjust for inflation, and we're probably in the ballpark.
How about the 0001 Strat? The Wish You Were Here Martin?
I'm torn on this. Part of me gets that this basically is saying he's essentially done making music.
Part wants these guitars and equipment to be out there, but most of them will be going to collectors or museums, likely never to be played again, unless it's Joe Bonamassa (though he usually doesn't go as much for the celebrity owned ones) or maybe Jim Irsay of the Indianapolis Colts. He's already got a pretty impressive collection - Beatles guitars, at least one Jerry Garcia, I think he has an Elvis guitar, etc. and some of them are lent out on occasion to be played and heard.
I would sort of like to see Strat 0001 to go to Fender, the WYWH Martin to Martin - that guitar was in an advertisement for them a few years ago, and so on.

deytookerjaabs

Well, I don't think stuff like this has anything to do with inflation.

Just a hunch, but seems to me there'd be a clientele interested in this guitar who aren't necessarily guitar collectors/enthusiasts which really adds to the pot. Pink Floyd reached an incredibly wide audience that now spans generations, ya still see 15 years olds with DSOTM T-Shirts.

I think it's entirely within the real of possibility that the black partscaster goes for record breaking insano dollars.

jrgtr42

Winning bid on Blackie was $959,500.

The announcement says that the estimate on The Black Strat is 100 - 150K. I'm guessing it'll be 10 times that - 1 - 1.5 mill.
Likely Strat 0001 will be in that same ballpark, 1 mill ish.
Most of the others listed will be less but in the 100k range, for the "important" ones. THe bottom of the barrel may be in range for us mortals.
Wondering if there will by straps, pedals and other accessories available too. I remember for the John Entwistle auction there was a few things in the few hundred range that I was thinking about...

sonar

Well, I don't think stuff like this has anything to do with inflation.

Just a hunch, but seems to me there'd be a clientele interested in this guitar who aren't necessarily guitar collectors/enthusiasts which really adds to the pot. Pink Floyd reached an incredibly wide audience that now spans generations, ya still see 15 years olds with DSOTM T-Shirts.

I think it's entirely within the real of possibility that the black partscaster goes for record breaking insano dollars.

Gear like this goes from just the artist instruments to historical artifacts once they reach the public. So yeah, I think everyone from guitar heads, vintage pop collectors and corporate entities would be interested in Gilmour's gear.

I'm not about to guess what the black partscaster, 0001 Strat, GT, Martin, etc. will go for at auction. I thought Blackie was sold about where I thought it would, but some of the Entwistle collection went for less than I thought it would.

I have mixed feelings about this auction - from positive to negative to indifference. In the end it's money raised for a good cause, and at the least I'm cool with that.