• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Which new pots most like a vintage centralab?

ChevChelios

Oh wow, that was crazy!

I got a delivery of 50 VIPots on Friday and they sold out over night :wow

I'll get the next batch in early/mid June, but made pre-ordering available on my website. If you pre-order your VIPots now, we'll make sure that we'll send out your set first thing ASAP. As always, shipping is free in the US.

Thanks to everyone here for your amazing responses, reviews, and basically for spreading the word. We're a tiny family business and really appreciate this kind of support! :salude

fernieite

Yep, I woke up to find your subscription email on Saturday morning and scooped a full set of four. :eek:la

Looking forward to receiving these and warming up the soldering iron. :yah

little tree

It arrived, Sebastian

Attachments

• 9899E8C1-70C9-4BA4-8EFD-15498B7B604C.jpg
    9899E8C1-70C9-4BA4-8EFD-15498B7B604C.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 048F9DFA-3118-497C-9D3B-066DF659CF02.jpg
    048F9DFA-3118-497C-9D3B-066DF659CF02.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 43

deytookerjaabs

I bought a pair of the VI pots a while ago and I set them aside...and have completely lost them :bigal

It's driving me nuts!

goldtop0

I bought a pair of the VI pots a while ago and I set them aside...and have completely lost them :bigal

It's driving me nuts!

Well whatever you do don't set your guitar aside...........cos you know what'll happen..............

:wah

little tree

756B38EF-AB46-4E40-A328-7A60957E4AE6.jpgbumble bee used drifed thing supplemented with "WE 20 AWG" vintage wire
bus wire also vintage unknown 19 AWG wire
output solder is vintage blue dutch boy

deytookerjaabs

Well whatever you do don't set your guitar aside...........cos you know what'll happen..............

:wah

Oh I keep tabs on the big stuff. I've now spent way too much time looking for those pots, I've decided to just blame it on the toddler :laugh2:

goldtop0

Oh I keep tabs on the big stuff. I've now spent way too much time looking for those pots, I've decided to just blame it on the toddler :laugh2:

Just watch out when he or she is a little older..........that guitar will go:lol

Jazzfinger

Alessandro has some pots that are supposed to do the vintage thing. I've not tried them....

Triburst

deytookerjaabs, I almost did the same thing -- got them a few weeks back and they disappeared, and were supposed to be in my Les Paul Parts cabinet.

Then, I noticed a little white cloth bag in a corner of the cabinet. Sure enough, there they were. Find that little white cloth bag. Cheers! :salude

ChevChelios

In fact YES.

I got a huge delivery yesterday. Unfortunately, I’m at a conference in CA right now, but will start shipping the preordered pots (long & short shaft) early next week.

Edit:

Only the short shaft VIPots arrived already. The long shaft version will be shipping to everyone who preordered their set(s) next Tuesday.

Last edited:

G Jarvis

Got my set of four from Rand Jackson in a super nice prewired setup. Looking for a chance to put them in. This guy does awesome work!! VIP has these for sale currently on their Reverb store. I grabbed another set.

Last edited:

jbzoso2002

Ok I just ordered a set of long shaft pots!

I hope they come in a plastic bag. may be in the mailbox till
I get home.

Jimmy

Firepie Uno

Got my set of four from Rand Jackson in a super nice prewired setup. Looking for a chance to put them in. This guy does awesome work!! VIP has these for sale currently on their Reverb store. I grabbed another set.

On my third VIP set from Rand. As a guy who plugs straight into the amp, these pots might be the most significant improvement I’ve made to my guitar. The pot sweep is what I’ve been looking for for a long time.

And Rand is the man, excellent service.

deytookerjaabs

I just ordered a couple sets, I hope that means I'll find where I misplaced the ones I ordered a couple months ago :##

G Jarvis

On my third VIP set from Rand. As a guy who plugs straight into the amp, these pots might be the most significant improvement I’ve made to my guitar. The pot sweep is what I’ve been looking for for a long time.

And Rand is the man, excellent service.

Rand is a true gentleman. He went way above and beyond to help me with proper instructions on install of these particular pots. I was very impressed with his knowledge and his work. Absolutely stunning work. Can’t wait to install these into my #1 historic. Got another set yesterday I’m going to put into a new SG standard.

ScumbackSpeakers

These are the ones I got for my replicas, they have a very similar taper to old Centralab pots. They also have that cute dimple like some of the 50's pots in the back. Best/cheaper to buy them in bulk, 20 at a time.

https://www.allparts.com/EP-4386-000-CTS-500K-Vintage-Style-Split-Audio-Pot_p_1426.html

thumbnail.asp
thumbnail.asp

zombiwoof

These are the ones I got for my replicas, they have a very similar taper to old Centralab pots. They also have that cute dimple like some of the 50's pots in the back. Best/cheaper to buy them in bulk, 20 at a time.

https://www.allparts.com/EP-4386-000-CTS-500K-Vintage-Style-Split-Audio-Pot_p_1426.html

thumbnail.asp
thumbnail.asp

Those are the CTS vintage back pots. If you buy the DiMarzio pots, the current version is the same type, except with a better custom taper, and they don't cost much more than the stock CTS, which I don't like the taper of.
Al

Emiel

The April 2018 edition of The Guitar Magazine has a rather interesting feature called 'The Ultimate Guitar To Les Paul tone'.

They compare hardware, potentiometers, capacitors. The potentiometers tested are two Bourns, two Bareknuckles, an Alpha, standard CTS audio, CTS TVT, and four pots from a '54 Les Paul Goldtop. The taper of the Bareknuckle and the Alpha pots are very close to the original pots.