• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

70's Gibsons. Show off your Norlins.

marshall1987

Seriously. It takes a special breed of dumb ass to pop onto a thread about guitars full of fact, fun and fotos only to have some know nothing can't see past 59 fool try and impress us with his selective, discriminate brand of snobbish idiocy. Nothing but lame reasoning, piss poor understanding of luthiery and a reliance on superficial parroting of oft repeated same old nonsense that is just so old, tired and descredited. There is nothing to love about this type of poster, they are absolute worst. I understand the mothers that wish to find a reason to love them, but really they are horrid.:spabout:teeth

Have to agree with Al on this one. My first hand experience with a 1980 Les Paul Standard in tobacco sunburst left me with a very positive impression. I bought my 1980 LP Std. from Arnold & Morgan Music in Dallas, TX in June 1980. It was fresh from the Gibson Nashville plant. So fresh that I got dizzy from the VOCs evaporating from the brand new finish.

The build quality of my 1980 LP Std. was as good as anything I have ever seen from the Gibson Nashville factory. It was flawless! Just a beautiful guitar. I didn't give a hoot if it had a 3-piece maple neck or a Nashville tune-o-matic bridge. This guitar was immaculate and played like butter.

A couple of years later, I traded it in for a new 1983 Les Paul Standard in tobacco sunburst. This particular guitar featured the reissue specs like the deep-dish top carve, skinny headstock (SP-6?), one-piece mahogany neck, Tim Shaw PAFs, '59 round profile neck, and a two-piece book-matched maple top. This guitar was just as well built as my 1980 LP Std and I played it for years. I sold it later and have regretted it ever since.

guitplayer

Posting this sweet 1981. I never went for top wrapping but this
ones bridge sat so high and the stop tail had to be as well.

I was a Gibson Repair Tech and salesman then, I KNOW. Everyone thinks because there is an ink stamp it's a Pat. App. For., [Shawbucker, the term I coined here over 20 yrs ago], reissue pickups. 137/138 only.

You have pu490 known as Original Humbucker which along with others switched from T top bobbins to the new square in a circle bobin as the last old t coil bobbins were used up.

Almost all the "Shawbuckers" I see for sale, or equipted on guitars, are infact not.

LMAO - Big Al “Knows!” WHEN I SAW YET ANOTHER POMPOUS post by Big Al, I immediately thought of the NIKE Ad....”Bo Knows”. I even googled it just now and it has its own wiki page. Not so lucky when I google ‘Big Al knows.’ But apparently, according to Big Al, Big Al “knows” virtually everything. I know ( and so does Big Al), Bo was an All Star MLB player, All Star NFL player and heisman tropgy winner. But Al was a Gibson salesman.

Hey Big Al, you don’t have to be an obnoxious jerk and treat people like crap when you disagree with them. It’s very telling about you. You do it all the time time. But apparently, you are all knowing.

Hey Big Al, Fender has a trade mark registered for “ShawBucker”. Since you state that you coined that phrase 20 years ago I thought you should know. Oops.....I forgot....you knew that.

latestarter

1974 Les Paul Custom 20th Anniversary.

Mahogany neck (3 piece), Pat No sticker/decal pickups, Ebony board, alloy tail piece, wired ABR, factory Grovers, neck pup vol pot replaced as original had issues. Otherwise original (well, G string saddle!!), clean and fantastic to play....less than 10 pounds too!

Started to refret with the nibs intact - looked and felt silly do to the wide binding, just went with the normal over edge job.

iur40DN.jpg

9qBBEIC.jpg

L0dty07.jpg

QsAsXdv.jpg

T7OJfAe.jpg

guitplayer

:yah:yah Nice...thats the "D" shaped heel of the good ones from the 70`s.
Hang on to that.

david.beason

I don't think I've ever posted my 1973 '54 Reissue Custom and this seems like the most appropriate place, so I'm bumping this thread back up. :)

lfPlirI.jpg

oBKuciq.jpg

ceCuLSU.jpg

fIycQ4Q.jpg

Dealer pics, courtesy of Rumble Seat Music...

dKVt9YK.jpg

Ipx71ZV.jpg

Trans-Am

Nice axe:dude:...............Love the waffleback tuners as well!:yah

Midnight Blues

I don't think I've ever posted my 1973 '54 Reissue Custom and this seems like the most appropriate place, so I'm bumping this thread back up. :)

She's a beauty ba! Nice playin' and lovely tone! Very much like mine. Yes, I'm quoting myself, but it appears as though the links for the pictures I posted way back when have broken, so here goes again:

My '72 Limited Edition '54 that I've had since '73:

My '76 Deluxe that I've had since around '77:

This is what it originally looked like (photo courtesy of Ludlow Guitars, NYC):

This what it looked like for the last 35 years or so after I had mods done shortly after I bought it:

This is what it looks like today after I had Bare Knuckles PG Blues installed and "Reflectors" put on:

My '72 Limited Edition '54 that I've had since '73:

ozgeD2r.jpg

u6kge0w.jpg

P48mlDZ.jpg

My '76 Deluxe that I've had since around '77:

This is what it originally looked like (photo courtesy of Ludlow Guitars, NYC):

e4YOqIO.jpg

This what it looked like for the last 35 years or so after I had mods done shortly after I bought it:

2V9IMzZ.jpg

Qrl8vHQ.jpg

This is what it looks like today after I had Bare Knuckles PG Blues installed and "Reflectors" put on:

85ND9DW.jpg

sfoEFx6.jpg

How long ago did you put the Grovers on her?

cheers.gif

Last edited:

Big Al

LMAO - Big Al “Knows!” WHEN I SAW YET ANOTHER POMPOUS post by Big Al, I immediately thought of the NIKE Ad....”Bo Knows”. I even googled it just now and it has its own wiki page. Not so lucky when I google ‘Big Al knows.’ But apparently, according to Big Al, Big Al “knows” virtually everything. I know ( and so does Big Al), Bo was an All Star MLB player, All Star NFL player and heisman tropgy winner. But Al was a Gibson salesman.

Hey Big Al, you don’t have to be an obnoxious jerk and treat people like crap when you disagree with them. It’s very telling about you. You do it all the time time. But apparently, you are all knowing.

Hey Big Al, Fender has a trade mark registered for “ShawBucker”. Since you state that you coined that phrase 20 years ago I thought you should know. Oops.....I forgot....you knew that.

What a great counter. Still smarting from the last spanking? Like always when you can't counter with facts you post personal attacks. The fact that Tim Shaw was quoted in a recent post on this subject stating that in fact the 1959 Reissue Patent Applied For pickups bore inkstamp pefix 137 or 138 on base doesn't match what I've said? You think my hands on experience and knowledge during that time is meaningless, because you got busted for your ignorant knownothing bullshit that your so butthurt you dog my posts to try your transparently weak personal attacks to what? Hurt my credibility?

Try facts. Prove me wrong.

Anyone that was here 20yrs ago will tell you, search the archives, it's all there.

I know lot's. It don't take much to know what you are. It's apparent in your desperate attempts of factless counter arguments and insults. You put it on display. Yup, you really got me.:fu

Anje

I hadn't posted some LP content for a while, here's a couple of great early 70's:

WaIjhiF.jpg

Quite different feel & tone between the two, very complementary, love them both.

Last edited: