• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gary moore R8

fretboarder

Hi, just seeing if anyone has any info on the R8 gary used later in his career at Montreux 2010..

djcmusician

I wonder if the pickup selector is wired standard? That's some of the brightest, most cutting, neck pickup tone I have ever heard at the beginning of the video.

Bruce R

I wonder if the pickup selector is wired standard? That's some of the brightest, most cutting, neck pickup tone I have ever heard at the beginning of the video.

I am with you - that is amazing tone from the neck pickup!! I would love to hear if it was wired differently than a standard Les Paul.

His sound is usually quite overdriven, so to hear the subtlety in this clip is quite a treat. Wow.

goldtop0

Yep that neck pup tone is great and a revelation..........need to find out the formulation of that for sure:wow

Heaven forbid...........but a pedal maybe???
He's got an array of them there.

Last edited:

DANELECTRO

Looks like a run-of-the-mill Iced Tea R8 with an Iced Tea finish that could have been made anywhere between 2003-2008. The pickup covers are definitely Gibson parts, so its likely that the pickups are the stock Burstbuckers.

Scott L

Not a pro-shot video and youtube-sound will do that for you. Although very good quality clip, all things considered.

Sure looks like a Pro Shoot to. Multiple angles, behind shots of the drummer, fades, at least 4 cameras as best I can see.

au_rick

A BBE Sonic Stomp would do that to pretty much any stock Les Paul ?

Keefoman

Sure looks like a Pro Shoot to. Multiple angles, behind shots of the drummer, fades, at least 4 cameras as best I can see.
Yes it is. Don’t know where my mind was when writing that.

Also when listening through a good set of headphones, I don’t find the sound very peculiar. It’s bright, yes, but I think amp / pedal settings is to «blame».

El Gringo

Sounds amazing to me with such great tone from the neck pickup . I wonder what kind of pickup that is ? Maybe vintage PAF's ? Really sounds killer !!!!!!!!!!

goldtop0

Sounds amazing to me with such great tone from the neck pickup . I wonder what kind of pickup that is ? Maybe vintage PAF's ? Really sounds killer !!!!!!!!!!

I've had '50s PAFs in my Historics over the years and never got that treble tone from the neck pup or heard that from a '50s LP either..........as au rick says it could be a BBE Sonic Stomp pedal.......I'll have to check that one out!!

Bruce R

Looks like a run-of-the-mill Iced Tea R8 ....... so its likely that the pickups are the stock Burstbuckers.

I'd be the first guy to replace my pickups if I didn't like them, but after hearing the stock Burstbucker 1 in my '06 R8 I just left it alone. It does seem a little brighter to me than others, which is why I love it.

AA00475Bassman

I'd be the first guy to replace my pickups if I didn't like them, but after hearing the stock Burstbucker 1 in my '06 R8 I just left it alone. It does seem a little brighter to me than others, which is why I love it.
I really like the stock BB for the same reason in my 07 R8 !

Big Al

Yeah! I mean you couldn't just wack up the treble and middle, cut bass, boost presence and use the bright input on a Marshall, right? 'Cause then you'd have to actually turn a flippin' tone knob on the bleedin' guitar or fiddle with the volume too.

Musta been a pedal or trick wiring. Yup, musta been.

What on earth is so compelling about that guitar? Why the question? I see nothing noteworthy or remakable about it. As Danelectro noted, it appears to be a run of the mill Ice Tea R8.

Bluesman1956

Looks like a run-of-the-mill Iced Tea R8 with an Iced Tea finish that could have been made anywhere between 2003-2008. The pickup covers are definitely Gibson parts, so its likely that the pickups are the stock Burstbuckers.
Looks like mine!!C5364CA6-2C47-4BE1-B76D-48C613293AB0.jpg

Big Al

Like a whole lot. They are beautiful guitars with a classic, proven tone enhancing vintage US build and at reasonable cost. The thinking mans Burst. I own 11 Les Pauls and my 2013 R8 is a favourite. They are wonderful sounding, great feeling, beautiful guitars.

Bluesman1956

Like a whole lot. They are beautiful guitars with a classic, proven tone enhancing vintage US build and at reasonable cost. The thinking mans Burst. I own 11 Les Pauls and my 2013 R8 is a favourite. They are wonderful sounding, great feeling, beautiful guitars.
The neck on the R8 is the real deal for my taste I have a SG and 335 with the slim 60s neck profiles they seem to compliment those particular guitar well but since I had the rare opportunity to play a authentic ‘58 I wanted something true to the real deal and the R8 truly is. I’m a musician not a collector so tops mean little to me while playing.