• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

FM Danny Kirwan

JRW8214@AOL.COM

Danny Kirwan also played a pale color maple necked telecaster.... It can be seen on the 'live' FM video footage of 'Woman's Got The Blues'.... The 'influence' was Janis Joplin, (apparently) and with whom DK is said to have had what you might call a 'brief encounter'.... :wah

I forgot about that tele. I thought that was so cool seeing him play that.

sidekick

Never heard that one before.
Interesting.
JRL821@AOL.COM said:
Neither have I
The story goes back to 1969.... In '97 Peter Green's Biographer, (Martin Celmins) mentioned of an occasion where Janis shared the same bill as FM. After one gig, Janis strutted into the hotel bar where the Mac lads were enjoying a drink.... Bold and brazen as ever, she announced "Tonight, I'm gonna have one of guys up in my room.... now come on, which one of you is it gonna be?".... Peter Green apparently told her: "Well, you're not having me.... have him!" (pointing to Danny)..... and, after some some encouragement Mac's youngest guitarist, (shall we say) rose to the challenge....:wah

The article concluded, that, the following day - Miss Joplin's renowned physicality had apparently left his back in ribbons.... If we assume such to be so, 'Blues with a feeling', to be sure.... :halo

JRW8214@AOL.COM

The story goes back to 1969.... In '97 Peter Green's Biographer, (Martin Celmins) mentioned of an occasion where Janis shared the same bill as FM. After one gig, Janis strutted into the hotel bar where the Mac lads were enjoying a drink.... Bold and brazen as ever, she announced "Tonight, I'm gonna have one of guys up in my room.... now come on, which one of you is it gonna be?".... Peter Green apparently told her: "Well, you're not having me.... have him!" (pointing to Danny)..... and, after some some encouragement Mac's youngest guitarist, (shall we say) rose to the challenge....:wah

The article concluded, that, the following day - Miss Joplin's renowned physicality had apparently left his back in ribbons.... If we assume such to be so, 'Blues with a feeling', to be sure.... :halo

Thats a funny story. I read Peter's bio by Martin Celmins. But i dont remember reading that part.

Poor Danny. I love Janis and her music, but i sure wouldnt wanna fuck her. Imagine if thats where Danny's alcoholism started from...LOL. Oh im sorry i shouldnt have made that joke.

sidekick

Thats a funny story. I read Peter's bio by Martin Celmins. But i dont remember reading that part.....
It wasn't in the book.... A magazine article.

Personally, regarding Janis..... Her voice and 'feel' at the Woodstock performance recording, has always left me somewhat in awe.

JRW8214@AOL.COM

Personally, regarding Janis..... Her voice and 'feel' at the Woodstock performance recording, has always left me somewhat in awe.

I havent heard her performance at Woodstock. The Monterey performance of Ball & Chain however is outstanding. I love how they show Mama Cass' face going "Wow" while she watches Janis. She knew who the REAL talent was!! I think thats the highlight of the dvd set for me. Even over Hendrix and Canned Heat.

j45

I have a clear (kinda) memory of an odd photo I saw in the early 70's. I've either warped the scene in my mind or this guitar photo really exists. I've had several PG junkies tell me that there is no way this could be... Anyway, in this black and white photo, Peter Green is playing a white SG Special. The setting was outdoors and seems there were trees overhead in the background as if theye were playing in a park or on a college campus. Anyone ever heard of this?

Yunpac

The 'influence' was Janis Joplin, (apparently) and with whom DK is said to have had what you might call a 'brief encounter'.... :wah

uh, yikes:wah !!! she is one creepy looking dude!

decent voice though, and a hell of a good cook!

Stumbler

As I like to relate ... I was there and although I had been into Janis records for a couple of years before, it was the first time I had seen her live, as was the case with so many bands at Woodstock for me. It seemed to me the band started up and she FLEW on stage from the wings. She was incredible. Such energy and connection with us. I remember her telling us "Don't let anybody ever give you any shit. You're Beautiful!!!" Her voice was something else, I'll tell ya ... :2cool

For the technical types .. her guitar player played a 335. The first Big Brother band ... Peter Albin et al was long gone by Woodstock.

sidekick

Here is a pic from a CD sleeve that shows Danny Kirwan and Peter Green with their guitars. Danny's,(circa) '56 Goldtop has the switch tip missing and is top-wrapped. Looks like strap locks weren't in vogue with him either.... No doubt the original pic has caught some of the patina/wear to the top/sides also.

I have a B & W pic of Danny doing a sound check at the Royal Albert Hall in London. But it is quite 'grainy'... Do you guys want it posted?

DannyKirwanFleetwoodMac003.jpg

sidekick

thanks great pic -
and yes - post away! can't hurt

Here is the B&W RAH 'sound check' shot - As previously mentioned, it is none too clear.... :-( If nothing else though, it does give a good idea of the power/size of the (mainly) Orange gear FM were using at that time and shows DK in his typical 'intense' mode....

TW59.... I'll delete the pic if you feel it is not clear enough.

DannyKirwanFleetwoodMac002.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I just saw a FM CD with a picture of Danny playing a St´rat that had the normal switch location.
:hmm

Reactions: K_L

MapleFlame

Here is the B&W RAH 'sound check' shot - As previously mentioned, it is none too clear.... :-( If nothing else though, it does give a good idea of the power/size of the (mainly) Orange gear FM were using at that time and shows DK in his typical 'intense' mode....

TW59.... I'll delete the pic if you feel it is not clear enough.

DannyKirwanFleetwoodMac002.jpg

I bet that rig was fun to play through. Wish it were me.:wail

pilotlight

Here is a pic from a CD sleeve that shows Danny Kirwan and Peter Green with their guitars. Danny's,(circa) '56 Goldtop has the switch tip missing and is top-wrapped. Looks like strap locks weren't in vogue with him either.... No doubt the original pic has caught some of the patina/wear to the top/sides also.

I have a B & W pic of Danny doing a sound check at the Royal Albert Hall in London. But it is quite 'grainy'... Do you guys want it posted?

DannyKirwanFleetwoodMac003.jpg

Hate to divert the thread momentarily,,, but check out PG's pre-faded burst.... Sooooo cool to see the evolution of that axe.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hate to divert the thread momentarily,,, but check out PG's pre-faded burst.... Sooooo cool to see the evolution of that axe.

I bought a CD today that shows the Burst with little fade and real clean. I'm not too optimistic about the contents ["All songs played by Peter Green and Mick Green"...:wah ] but the picture was worth it! :dude:

Now, if I can find a scanner. :ganz

dannykirwanfan

Thats a funny story. I read Peter's bio by Martin Celmins. But i dont remember reading that part.

Poor Danny. I love Janis and her music, but i sure wouldnt wanna fuck her. Imagine if thats where Danny's alcoholism started from...LOL. Oh im sorry i shouldnt have made that joke.
It wouldn't surprise me if it was. If his back was bruised all over, then that suggests that a struggle must have taken place, meaning that it would have been rape on her part. Pretty horrible and perhaps he never got over it.