• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I’ve changed my mind about aftermarket pickups OX4s are off the charts good

JPP-1

I bought the Slash OX4s on a whim from the Music Zoo. For 200 I figured, I really can’t loose. I didn’t expect to like them. These pickups when rolled back can almost get that Peter Green jangly honk without flipping the pickup. I mean these are the most articulate pickups I’ve experienced rolled back and cranked up they just sing with a lush vowelly crunch that’s brimming with overtones.

I liked the Slash’s so much that I ordered the OX4 low output set and the Beanos. Both sets easily replaced the custombuckers which I had always felt were very good. But these OXs are just more sounds like the record. It’s like going from say a short grey plate 12AX7 to an RCA long black plate 12AX7 that’s just on the verge of becoming microphonic. The articulation and depth is stunning and the wood just feels more alive coming through these pups.

The OX4s are the closest I’ve experienced to real PAFs. I have some amazing relatively early PAT# pickups in my 345 but I think I like the OX4s better. At least the Beanos and Slash’s. A second pair of Slash’s even replaced the Rewind JP Post72s as I think they just seem to work better getting that Sibly tone especially in the middle and neck position at least in my TH R9. I really like the rewinds too, they are the only other pickups I liked better than the custombuckers so I may visit them in another Les Paul. But the OX4 Slash’s, especially the neck and neck+bridge tone was just more open and nuanced and really captured that glassy jazziness and honk Page gets

From a pickup swap skeptic to a real believer, the OX4s have been the best I’ve tried kudos to Mark Stowe.

Dimitri92

Ooooh boy... this increases the g.a.s. for some OX4 over here ! Enjoy them ! Im getting some soon too!

CatManDoo88

I bought the Slash OX4s on a whim from the Music Zoo. For 200 I figured, I really can’t loose. I didn’t expect to like them. These pickups when rolled back can almost get that Peter Green jangly honk without flipping the pickup. I mean these are the most articulate pickups I’ve experienced rolled back and cranked up they just sing with a lush vowelly crunch that’s brimming with overtones.

I liked the Slash’s so much that I ordered the OX4 low output set and the Beanos. Both sets easily replaced the custombuckers which I had always felt were very good. But these OXs are just more sounds like the record. It’s like going from say a short grey plate 12AX7 to an RCA long black plate 12AX7 that’s just on the verge of becoming microphonic. The articulation and depth is stunning and the wood just feels more alive coming through these pups.

The OX4s are the closest I’ve experienced to real PAFs. I have some amazing relatively early PAT# pickups in my 345 but I think I like the OX4s better. At least the Beanos and Slash’s. A second pair of Slash’s even replaced the Rewind JP Post72s as I think they just seem to work better getting that Sibly tone especially in the middle and neck position at least in my TH R9. I really like the rewinds too, they are the only other pickups I liked better than the custombuckers so I may visit them in another Les Paul. But the OX4 Slash’s, especially the neck and neck+bridge tone was just more open and nuanced and really captured that glassy jazziness and honk Page gets

From a pickup swap skeptic to a real believer, the OX4s have been the best I’ve tried kudos to Mark Stowe.

Glad you love them. I really you were asking my impressions in your Brazilian NGD thread. I'm a huge fan of Mark's work. He is also really open to custom requests, if you are seeking a Jimmy Page tone, I know he did a limited run of Page pickups in the past. If you ask, Mark will probably wind you a custom set. He did a custom Beano set for me with covers and a double bone neck (Dimarzio prevents him from selling double bone without covers due to their ridiculous trademark).

deytookerjaabs

Re: I’ve changed my mind about aftermarket pickups OX4s are off the charts good

Nice! I like'em too, have had a couple sets, one from ebay when the site had a 15% sale (great time to buy low priced hardware/stuff) and another from Carters. Both great. Then again, I really like a bunch of others too from the guitars I've played with Throbaks to a couple SD's plus I love the pat# pickups in a couple of my 60's Gibsons and the black wire pat#'s in my Sheraton...honorable mention to "MHS" Gibsons which have wonderful clarity including the P90's, also scored a set of "flying mojo t-tops" I kept off a used guitar which also honk with the best of them.

jimeh77

The one from carter is sort of limited edition. How they are different sound wise compared to the other one you have.

Nice! I like'em too, have had a couple sets, one from ebay when the site had a 15% sale (great time to buy low priced hardware/stuff) and another from Carters. Both great. Then again, I really like a bunch of others too from the guitars I've played with Throbaks to a couple SD's plus I love the pat# pickups in a couple of my 60's Gibsons and the black wire pat#'s in my Sheraton...honorable mention to "MHS" Gibsons which have wonderful clarity including the P90's, also scored a set of "flying mojo t-tops" I kept off a used guitar which also honk with the best of them.

deytookerjaabs

The one from carter is sort of limited edition. How they are different sound wise compared to the other one you have.

Ooof, I had the "Carter Vintage Wind" set I bought on an impulse. If I had to get real down and dirty to any differences I'd say that specific set was very balanced/even and real dry in a good way. Not as much of the aforementioned "honk" and no serious in your face character yet very true to the general deviation of the old stuff, IMO. I had the set in a Les Paul, I'd say for my taste that same set would be preferred in an ES guitar if not a fully hollow ES like a 175 which really love a balanced/articulate pickup...but the next owner I sold the Les Paul to was gushing over the guitar in a message to me weeks after he got it so...:hank IIRC I also did the whole braided wire/VIPots/50's thing to that fiddle.

Patek

You are giving me serious gas

I put some BK miracle mans in my 60th ani LP but they are too high output for everything other than really toppy metal, thinking of putting the unpotted custom buckers back in but reading this post is causing me financial stress

need OX4 now

JPP-1

You should definitely try the Slash’s Patek. Up to 8 on the volume knob it’s that beautiful articulate PAF tone. You can get this great woody acoustic thing happening rolling it down like Jimmy, Over the Hills. Then, crank the last two clicks of the volume knob and it breaks loose with swirling overtones and harmonics. If you ever listen to Sibly at the Garden, there’s a part towards the end of the main solo where the notes swell up and just linger in the air with snap and clarity but shimmering, singing gainy crunch too.

See, that’s the thing, usually to get that lushness, that higher output vividness you have to give up clarity. Not with these OX4s. It’s all in there.

Imho, You have too sweet of a Les Paul not to go that last step. Let that wood sing Patek.

You are giving me serious gas

I put some BK miracle mans in my 60th ani LP but they are too high output for everything other than really toppy metal, thinking of putting the unpotted custom buckers back in but reading this post is causing me financial stress

need OX4 now

CatManDoo88

Since you are a big fan of Page and now it seems OX4, I thought you should know about the new addition to Mark's lineup:

https://ox4pickups.co.uk/product/ox4-page/

:yah

They seem to be based on his post-Zep IV T-Top setup.

The Shifter

I have a set of OX4s in one of my R8s and I love them. Mark is a great dude as well.

Shakey

Glad you love them. I really you were asking my impressions in your Brazilian NGD thread. I'm a huge fan of Mark's work. He is also really open to custom requests, if you are seeking a Jimmy Page tone, I know he did a limited run of Page pickups in the past. If you ask, Mark will probably wind you a custom set. He did a custom Beano set for me with covers and a double bone neck (Dimarzio prevents him from selling double bone without covers due to their ridiculous trademark).

Yea I love all the OX4's I've used, I've got a set of low wind A4's in my 335 and a I did the same thing and asked Mark for a set of covered beano's for my R8 which sound absolutely killer! He's such a dude too didn't charge for the covers!

CatManDoo88

Yea I love all the OX4's I've used, I've got a set of low wind A4's in my 335 and a I did the same thing and asked Mark for a set of covered beano's for my R8 which sound absolutely killer! He's such a dude too didn't charge for the covers!

Nice! My CS9 just went through an Historic Makeover and I had them pop the covers (sorry can't help myself with gratuitous glory shots of my post-HM Les Paul right now):
i-5vWsNWt-X2.jpg

Similarly, with respect to ES-335s, I asked Mark about doing a set of Clapton-inspired Patent No. replicas for an 1963 ES-335 reissue if I ever got one and he said he could. So that is next on my list!

57Strat777

Yesterday I ordered a set of OX4 Beanos for my R8. How long does it normally take to receive the PUs from Mark?

CatManDoo88

Yesterday I ordered a set of OX4 Beanos for my R8. How long does it normally take to receive the PUs from Mark?
My experience is that he custom winds and ships them within a week. I can't speak to the shipping time since I have had bad luck with Canada Post on my end possibly losing my packages, which Mark was super gracious in helping me sort out.

57Strat777

Update: I just got a ship notice from Mark 2 days after placing the order. Incredible service considering it was a custom order he had to make special.

STC

This is a pretty glowing recommendation! Am enjoying the custombuckers in my R9 but was thinking about throwing something different in one of my USAs for fun.

Had you tried the Duncans or just fancied the OX4s?

mr kenny

I have one of the Memphis 335's from a few years ago, a '58. Because of this thread I started looking at OX4's. I ultimately landed on the Carter Vintage Guitar site. They had a set of OX4's specifically wound for 335's called Carter '64's. This is my fourth Humbucking set trying to find THE set. I'm really, REALLY liking these.

cds1951

Just installed OX4 PAFs (A4 magnets and normal PAF wind) that I got from Carter. Very sweet sounding. Very clear. Wonderful clean tones on various volume and tone settings. Wonderful note bloom and decay. The honeymoon is not over but I am very pleased. Loved my custom buckers before but now .....

Shakey

Similarly, with respect to ES-335s, I asked Mark about doing a set of Clapton-inspired Patent No. replicas for an 1963 ES-335 reissue if I ever got one and he said he could. So that is next on my list!

Yea My 335 is a 2016 Memphis 63 RI, killer guitar, I ended up putting the low wind A4's in like I said but I really found the guitar really opened up when I put in brass saddles and got rid of the nylon ones.