• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Paul Kossoff's 'Lemon burst" folder

John Smolakis

Koss said it was a strat. He actually uses a strat quite a bit on the Highway album.

In addition, he uses a Strat in the "My Brother Jake" music video... I think it's the same one on the cover of his solo album but I'd have to go check that video out again to be positive. :salude

Garincha

Koss said it was a strat. He actually uses a strat quite a bit on the Highway album.

And there goes another teenage illusion of a certain sound and how it was made :rofl

All those years I thought I was hearing a burst. That goes to show me to never be too sure about gear and what I think I hear on a record.

JRW8214@AOL.COM

In addition, he uses a Strat in the "My Brother Jake" music video... I think it's the same one on the cover of his solo album but I'd have to go check that video out again to be positive. :salude

Its possibly the same one. Im not too sure. It very well could be the black one with the rosewood fretboard that he used on Highway. I believe they were recorded around the same time so its hard to tell. His wife Sandhe told me he got the white strat from Clapton along with his 'lemon burst' after attending a Clapton show and going backstage to hang out with him. No, im not getting that confused with the Darkburst he previously got from Clapton in trade for the Custom.

JRW8214@AOL.COM

And there goes another teenage illusion of a certain sound and how it was made :rofl

All those years I thought I was hearing a burst. That goes to show me to never be too sure about gear and what I think I hear on a record.

There is Les Paul on the record, just certain parts. The Stealer is definately a Les Paul. But the thinner sounding stuff like Ride On Pony, Love You So, etc etc are definately a strat.

Garincha

There is Les Paul on the record, just certain parts. The Stealer is definately a Les Paul. But the thinner sounding stuff like Ride On Pony, Love You So, etc etc are definately a strat.

You mean there is a slight chance the lead bits and fills on "brother jake" are indeed a Les Paul?

Phew, I feel much better now ;)

Yannick333

His wife Sandhe told me he got the white strat from Clapton along with his 'lemon burst' after attending a Clapton show and going backstage to hang out with him. No, im not getting that confused with the Darkburst he previously got from Clapton in trade for the Custom.

So, I know Koss traded his custom for EC's darkburst but now your telling us that he got his "Lemon Burst" from him as well??

Wel now I'm speechless! :biggrin:

JRW8214@AOL.COM

So, I know Koss traded his custom for EC's darkburst but now your telling us that he got his "Lemon Burst" from him as well??

Wel now I'm speechless! :biggrin:

Yes thats what his wife told me. I take her word for it as she was there unlike most other people. He got it along with the white strat which im sure Clapton didnt like because of the warped neck.

flashriffs

Here's a couple of pix from Leeds Oct 75 with John Martyn, a month after Koss 'died' for 35 mins, he looks well on the pix but they are slightly out of focus, this was done in between the two 'legs' of the BSC UK tour.

20100906_LALkoss01.jpg

20100906_LALkoss02.jpg

Ad_02Std

Guitarist Snuffy Walden was originally credited on the Heartbreaker album for the guitar on "Wishing Well" & "Easy On My Soul". Whoever it was on "Wishing Well", the effect on the lead guitar track was a Leslie.

I once read that Paul Rodgers played the lead on "Wishing Well", and it seemed pretty unlikely at first, but check his playing on the track "Lady" by his 1971 band Peace (it's available on the compilation The Free Story). This was a three-piece with Rodgers on vocals and guitar. He had clearly been paying attention to what Koss had been playing and you could be forgiven for thinking it was Kossoff himself playing that guitar part. I wouldn't be surprised if the lead guitar part on "Wishing Well" had been played by either Snuffy Walden or Paul Rodgers.

John Smolakis

What is your guys' opinions on the lead from "Come Together In The Morning" and "Heartbreaker?' Did Koss play both?

JRW8214@AOL.COM

Its difficult for me to tell. I read it was Snuffy, Rodgers, and kirke taking turns filling in for him on that album. Im fairly sure though that i have read that he mainly contributed to 3 tracks on the Heartbreaker album. I could be wrong but i believe those three songs were Wishing Well, Heartbreaker, and Come Together In The Morning. If those are the ones and im correct, it is probably Koss then.

Ad_02Std

What is your guys' opinions on the lead from "Come Together In The Morning" and "Heartbreaker?' Did Koss play both?

Its difficult for me to tell. I read it was Snuffy, Rodgers, and kirke taking turns filling in for him on that album. Im fairly sure though that i have read that he mainly contributed to 3 tracks on the Heartbreaker album. I could be wrong but i believe those three songs were Wishing Well, Heartbreaker, and Come Together In The Morning. If those are the ones and im correct, it is probably Koss then.

The CD reissue booklet says that Kossoff played on Come Together In The Morning, Travellin' In Style, Heartbreaker, Common Mortal Man and Seven Angels; Simon Kirke played rhythm guitar on Muddy Water and Snuffy Walden played on Easy On My Soul. That leaves the lead on Wishing Well to Paul Rodgers I suppose.

Last edited:

JRW8214@AOL.COM

The CD reissue booklet says that Kossoff played on Come Together In The Morning, Travellin' In Style, Heartbreaker, Common Mortal Man and Seven Angels; Simon Kirke played rhythm guitar on Muddy Water and Snuffy Walden played on Easy On My Soul. That leaves the lead on Wishing Well to Paul Rodgers I suppose.

Thanks. Its been awhile since i read that or listened to it. I love all of Free's stuff but i mostly prefer the pre-'72 stuff.

Yannick333

I'm not really sure about the second and the sixth pic! :biggrin: Where are the pickup covers? :biggrin: