• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Paul Kossoff's 'Lemon burst" folder

flashriffs

I've got a few more somewhere, I've got one with John Martyn with this guitar and a bootleg of the same gig, Koss was totally wasted.

AtLastEra.jpg

044.jpg

koss3.jpg

Yannick333

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm really glad that there's so much love for Koss on this forum! [/FONT][FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]:dude: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]This picture shows that Paul was a little guy with the heart of a lion on the guitar. Look how big the Lester looks on him! A heavy Les Paul and cranked Marshalls with bass speakers! It's a wonder he wasn't literall knocked off the stage by hisrig! [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]Very well put! He really seemed to have the heart and the stamina of a lion! He was also a real 'heavy hitter" who used heavy strings (11s or 12s) and heavy picks!:dude: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]Here's a bootleg clip from Sunderland for those that haven't heard it.....[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GJq-k5cemY[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]Thanks for sharing that one Eggy! :salude [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]PS: Great cover of white room with your band! [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]Nice pictures.... I am pretty positive this is the burst that I have played a few times on stage in Newcastle Uk. It is awesome and is the best sounding Les Paul I have ever played. ( including my own 59's) I think Gibson is doing a replica that is due out soon of this guitar. I am so glad to see a PK model !! My idol![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]JB[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]PS... Love the fawn coloured full stacks in one cabinet!!!!![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]Thanks for sharing your experiences JBLPplayer! :salude [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]Great to hear that Koss is finally getting a signature Les Paul!! [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana","sans-serif]PS: I read somewhere that the action on his “burst” was always very high? Did you notice that when you played the guitar? [/FONT]

Last edited:

JRW8214@AOL.COM

Actually Yannick, Koss used 13s. He did like his action high but who knows if the guy who owns the burst now does.

Eggy

Have you guys seen that version of Be my Friend that's recorded in a TV studio (poss ITV?) ??
I'll try and dig it out.
Aw man... It's like......EAR SEX !!

EDIT.....found it ! (I think?, still ear sex though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P00-KBLqPwI

Last edited:

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
PS - Does anyone know what effect Koss had on for the Wishing Well recording?

Guitarist Snuffy Walden was originally credited on the Heartbreaker album for the guitar on "Wishing Well" & "Easy On My Soul". Whoever it was on "Wishing Well", the effect on the lead guitar track was a Leslie.

Last edited:

spidey

Yeah, there is some debate as to who played on Wishing Well. Koss was also a Leslie user.
According to Terry Slesser, during Back Street Crawler he used 2 leslies at the same time. Apparently he would spend along time before a performance making sure they were in sync.
Sometimes in BSC he used a phaser. You can hear it on the BSC live at Croydon album.

Garincha

With all the bursts Koss used to have, does anybody know which one is supposed to be the one he played on "allright now"? As this was before '71 I suppose it's not the lemon burst, right?

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
I have a guitar playing buddy from Texas who knew Snuffy. John Staehely who played with many notables including Paul Rodgers in The Law. I think it was John who told me that it was Snuffy. Waldon did have the ability of imitating Koss' slurry style. Listen to Stray Dogs 2nd album and there are moments where you think that Koss is sitting in. And Snuff was also brought in to complete the Back Street Crawler 2nd Street album after Koss' death. When you hear those tracks, can you tell who's who?

Snuffy can play his own way as he's demonstrated with all the film & TV work he's done in the last few decades. From what I heard, Snuffy reeled it in a lot to get the take that was on the original album. I have an EP mix of WW that has Snuffy almost shredding in the way he did with Strat Dog. Here is another mix of Wishing Well that shows off Snuffy still letting loose while ghosting Koss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKy_puDDnRk

BTW, The MXR Phase 90 is on the ground in that outside pic. And as far what burst is on All Right Now, they were in the midst recording the Fire & Water album around the time of Isle Of Wight. So I assume it was the stripped burst used on those tracks.

Last edited:

JRW8214@AOL.COM

I always assumed he used the Phase 90 as a stand in for the Leslies so he didnt have to lug them around.

Interesting note, his wife told me they used to leave one of the Leslie's on and go to sleep listening to the noise it made.

Yannick333

Actually Yannick, Koss used 13s. He did like his action high but who knows if the guy who owns the burst now does.

13s!!? Now, I feel like a sissy!! :dude:

BTW: Thanks for all your help with identifying all the "burst" pics and all your other contributions! I really appreciate it JRW!! :salude

JRW8214@AOL.COM

13s!!? Now, I feel like a sissy!! :dude:

BTW: Thanks for all your help with identifying all the "burst" pics and all your other contributions! I really appreciate it JRW!! :salude

Again, not a problem. Anything for a fellow Koss fan. Im a Koss Fan/Freak/Worshipper/Disciple...whatever term you come up with thats pretty much what i am. Ive said it on here before but what Koss did was the high E and B were from a .013 set of Fender Rock n Rollers(Original 150s as they are now called). His G was a bajo string because he couldnt find an unwound 3rd that was heavy enough for his tastes. And the remaining three strings were Gibson Sonomatics(now called L5s)

JRW8214@AOL.COM

Btw dont feel like a sissy. Koss had hands that were like they were made of iron, most people dont, especially people his size. I still use .010s and i dont see myself moving up unless i get to playing in a band on almost a daily basis.

Garincha

And as far what burst is on All Right Now, they in the midst recording the Fire & Water album around the time of Isle Of Wight. So I assume it was the stripped burst used on those tracks.

Thanks a lot, I always wanted to know that.

And now for a even more obscure question:

One of my favorite track always was "my brother jake". This one would have been the lemon burst, not?

Actually in the video he plays the white strat but the record clearly sounds like a burst.

Yannick333

Again, not a problem. Anything for a fellow Koss fan. Im a Koss Fan/Freak/Worshipper/Disciple...whatever term you come up with thats pretty much what i am. Ive said it on here before but what Koss did was the high E and B were from a .013 set of Fender Rock n Rollers(Original 150s as they are now called). His G was a bajo string because he couldnt find an unwound 3rd that was heavy enough for his tastes. And the remaining three strings were Gibson Sonomatics(now called L5s)

Very cool info JRW! :dude: Btw: If you are looking for a cool Koss collectable! This is a Free/Kossof picture disc I bought at a record fair last week! The record is just SMOKING!

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=330843

You can also occasionally find them on ebay!

JRW8214@AOL.COM

Thanks a lot, I always wanted to know that.

And now for a even more obscure question:

One of my favorite track always was "my brother jake". This one would have been the lemon burst, not?

Actually in the video he plays the white strat but the record clearly sounds like a burst.

Koss said it was a strat. He actually uses a strat quite a bit on the Highway album.