• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Exposing the "evil doers"...

Xpensive Wino

At Fretted Americana for $440K

Listed as 'sold' on their site.

http://www.frettedamericana.com/product/1959-gibson-les-paul-standard

01497_hs_back.jpg

Xpensive Wino

It's spectacular.

I found your videos.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cMIGU3DuYCY?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/oHlcoSCVQHM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MkZ1dfPZ6A0?feature=player_detailpage" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

j45

At Fretted Americana for $440K

OK, I just remember the thread someone started saying Gladys for sale at Maverick... seems I recall the OP even reported double checking and was still on a page there. Maybe he pulled it and had it returned from Maverick... then to FA after realizing they weren't quite right.

hoss

OK, I just remember the thread someone started saying Gladys for sale at Maverick... seems I recall the OP even reported double checking and was still on a page there. Maybe he pulled it and had it returned from Maverick... then to FA after realizing they weren't quite right.
Ganz had a business relationship already with FA, he was doing appraisals for them.

j45

Yes, I've done a bit of business with FA myself...a few of my better guitars came from him as a matter of fact..... at least a couple of blonde ES Gibson's in my collection and a few others back then ...and I think sold a few as well to them. I'm just recalling the LPF thread Gladys For Sale At "Maverick Music" and then recall the OP seeing the add still there at time of post.

Xpensive Wino

Yes, I've done a bit of business with FA myself...a few of my better guitars came from him as a matter of fact..... at least a couple of blonde ES Gibson's in my collection and a few others back then ...and I think sold a few as well to them. I'm just recalling the LPF thread Gladys For Sale At "Maverick Music" and then recall the OP seeing the add still there at time of post.

Evil webmaster. Nothing to do with Phil at all..:hee

mingus

Can't hear it in those videos......YMMV.

John, I've had the pleasure of playing that guitar extensively over ~8 years and have A/B'd with a lot of other bursts many, many times. Other than the bursts I've owned, I've had the opportunity to play that one more than any others. The Youtube videos don't do it (or any other spectacular guitar or amp) justice at all due to low-quality mics & mic preamps, compression, bit rates, etc. I've only played around 100 bursts or so and can confidently state that Gladys is among the very best, period. It's very well balanced between pickups, resonant and very dynamic. It'll go from a sweet purr to a roar with a turn of the volume pots. It's one of those bursts that has everything you'd ever need: playability, tone and looks. The top and fade may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the neck shape/feel, low action and tone are easily at the top of the heap.

Kerry, that guitar was never at Maverick. Fretted Americana had it on their site as a consignment, but Joe sold it himself privately.

j45

Kerry, that guitar was never at Maverick. Fretted Americana had it on their site as a consignment, but Joe sold it himself privately.

Gotcha John...you should know...just wondered how that thread came about. Another shady misrepresentation I assume..

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I bought a guitar from Guitar Point that turned out to be far from as described. It was not a good experience at all. I would never recommend them or buy from them again with good reason.

That's a shame, but I do understand.
My dealings there have been selling to him, and include 30+ deals.
I have also visited the shop 6+ times and inspected many guitars.
I do suggest if you are ever in the Frankfurt area [they are in Maintal] to go in a check it out in person.

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
That's a shame, but I do understand.
My dealings there have been selling to him, and include 30+ deals.
I have also visited the shop 6+ times and inspected many guitars.
I do suggest if you are ever in the Frankfurt area [they are in Maintal] to go in a check it out in person.

I'll give the visit a miss I think. When a 4000 Euro guitar is represented to me over the telephone as "all original with no issues" and I then receive a guitar with brush painted touch up to cover an area of buckle rash that is down to the wood, a factory 2nd stamp that has been hidden also by brush paint, a collapsed bridge and a seven piece maple top that is immediately visible from opening the case, I have lost all confidence.

Last edited:

Minibucker

Did you try to take it up with them about it? If so, what was their response?

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
Did you try to take it up with them about it? If so, what was their response?

I couldn't believe they would send me such a guitar. I called them up and asked them how they ever thought I would accept the guitar as 'all original with no issues'. They told me that as I didn't like the guitar I would need to send it back to them and when they had received it they promised a refund. I made them send a courier to uplift it as it wasn't a matter of me not liking the guitar but more a case of them misrepresenting the instrument and lying to me. I got my refund a few days after they received it back. The guitar was already overpriced to begin with and the undisclosed issues were completely unacceptable. My first deal with them that also became my last.

Here is the guitar in question: http://shop.guitarpoint.de/en/Gibson/1974-Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Ebony

Here is what the blacklight showed.

photo2_zps04d8b0f4.jpg

photo3_zps01dc4c71.jpg

photo4_zpsa12e4b88.jpg

Last edited:

Minibucker

At least you got your money back with little if any hassle, thankfully. Doesn't excuse the misrepresenting, but fortunate for you it wasn't messier….which it likely would have been with other's mentioned here.

Y

yeti

I couldn't believe they would send me such a guitar. I called them up and asked them how they ever thought I would accept the guitar as 'all original with no issues'.

Wow, well, since I like to play "devil's advocate" I'd conclude that maybe they really didn't know better.:teeth

landminelenny

Les Paul Froum Member
Wow, well, since I like to play "devil's advocate" I'd conclude that maybe they really didn't know better.:teeth

Maybe, but that would mean they lied AND don't know what they're doing. They told me they had blacklighted the guitar before I agreed to buy it.

Last edited: