• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

You gotta play it loud! or How the blues was broken (Beano content)

Tarcisioo

"On this day in 1965, John Mayall released the single Witch Doctor / Telephone Blues on Immediate Records, where I was a producer.⁣

It was recorded at Pye Studios with jazzer Hughie Flint on drums, John McVie on bass (middle), John Mayall (left) on keyboards and vocals and Eric Clapton (right) on guitar. It was recorded in June of 1965. When 'Witch Doctor' came to be overdubbed, Eric had this idea to put this feedback wail over the top. I was with him in the studio as he set this up, then I got back into the control room and told the engineer to record the overdub.⁣

About two-thirds of the way through, he pulled the faders down and said: "This guitarist is impossible to record". I guess his technical ethics were compromised by the signal that was putting the meters into the red. I suggested that he got on with his job and leave that decision to me!⁣

Eric's solo on 'Telephone Blues' was just superb. I would like to have seen Ainsley Dunbar on drums in the studio for 'Witch Doctor'. I also produced 'Sitting On Top of the World', showing John Mayall's blues to Top 20 ambitions, and 'Double Crossing Time', an ironic title as the next time I heard of them they were in the very capable hands of Mike Vernon - famed blues producer. It was a good move: Eric left The Yardbirds because they had Top 20 aspirations!"

Text and picture taken from Jimmy Page's official instagram account (https://www.instagram.com/p/B2uUyUPDDI6/)

69704289_109220536995809_4773894991561761115_n.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WNVzXJnIG6g" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-bW0Ak4y490" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited:

BURSTGANG

"then I got back into the control room and told the engineer to record the overdub.⁣

About two-thirds of the way through, he pulled the faders down and said: "This guitarist is impossible to record". I guess his technical ethics were compromised by the signal that was putting the meters into the red. I suggested that he got on with his job and leave that decision to me!⁣ ".............................and the rest as they say is history.:salude

Last edited:

goldtop0

Great to have a first hand account Tarcisioo..........thanks:2cool

Tarcisioo

Yeah, Jimmy Page posted that. I never doubted the influence of the BB with Eric Clapton album, but reading Page's words on it just makes me realize even more how the guitar was changed when that young boy Eric decided to play his Marshall cranked, totally against the recording rules of the time, it seems.

It wasn't just about the playing, but mostly the attitude. And that's what Jimmy Page was saying when he talks about aspirations

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
That soaring, over the top lead, with lots of reverb, reminds me so much of Peter Green later on in Fleetwood Mac (like in Supernatural). It would be interesting to know if this was just a step on Clapton's journey or if there was some particular reason he chose that sound for that song?

DrRobert

Les Paul Forum Member
Thanks for the correction. His sound on Green Manalishi and Black Magic Woman remained similar, though. With an edgy distortion and a fair amount of reverb (an overdriven Fender rather than a Marshall, I believe).