• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

True Historic ´59 Bavarian Makeover

Orreman

Today Florian routed the new Brazilian fretboard to the right dimensions and radius. Picked this out of 3 different boards. Love the grain!

(the table is also made of Brazilian rosewood:))

wlhKaki.jpg

geddy402

Cool to see the process. Thanks for posting the pics.

it kinda makes me wonder though, why wouldn't you just have him build you a guitar? Seems like there is a lot of work going into this.

sharky

great and exciting project.

Do you know how Florian peeled off the fretboard that clean?

corpse

Posts from a few years ago show removing a couple of frets near #20 and 22, drilling a small hole and injecting steam for several minutes, to loosen it. Then a special planing tool with a handle on either end is run between the board and the neck to get the rest off.
Search "bavarian" on here.

GuitarMikey

I think the board above is a new board. Sounds like he picked it out of 3 choices.
Looks awesome!

Tarcisioo

it kinda makes me wonder though, why wouldn't you just have him build you a guitar? Seems like there is a lot of work going into this.

You never know how how a guitar will sound until it's all set up. That's the risk you take when building guitars.

You still have risks on makeovers, but when you know a guitar already sounds good, that's hard to change

Orreman

I like the idea of taking something already existing and making it better.

Orreman

great and exciting project.

Do you know how Florian peeled off the fretboard that clean?

The board on the picture is brand new. I haven't got a glue how he removed the old one.
He doesn't share his techniques which I totally respect.

sharky

Posts from a few years ago show removing a couple of frets near #20 and 22, drilling a small hole and injecting steam for several minutes, to loosen it. Then a special planing tool with a handle on either end is run between the board and the neck to get the rest off.
Search "bavarian" on here.

I remember seeing the tool mentioned in a makeover thread a while ago. The tool you mean is a peeling iron, but I was wondering how it would take off the FB that clean. I was talking to a friend of mine who runs a repair shop and builds some fantastic guitars himself, about taking down the FB on my LP and replace it with some old stock BRW he has sitting since the 70s. OK, he's much more into Fenders, so binding is not his world, but he wouldn't like to do it.

9D75SEhwzuVp136249702272P8050.jpg

J T

That woodworking tool is also known as a drawknife. :)

marshall1987

frets before inlays? interesting.

Yeah you would think the fingerboard inlays/markers would go in first. Makes it easier to sand and polish them in the direction of the grain. However, I have had inlays upgraded on my 2000 R9, with the frets on, and it came out just fine.

geddy402

You never know how how a guitar will sound until it's all set up. That's the risk you take when building guitars.

You still have risks on makeovers, but when you know a guitar already sounds good, that's hard to change

Intersting perspective, thanks.

I guess if thenguitar already sounds good I would leave it alone. But, I totally understand trying to get it as close to original specs as you can.

Orreman

Now the fretboard is bound with Cellulose nitrate:)

QuZi6f3.jpg

Many of you are probably wondering why there's no inlays yet.

Florian supprised me with this. They have already been pressed in while the fretboard was radiused, but removed to be aged and shrunken.

This is how they look now!!

bGp5tn4.jpg

Last edited: