• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1960 Burst Neck Tenon

Tim's Guitars

Hi all,

Do late 1960 bursts (Tomato Soup types 0 8xxx range) have a shorter neck tenon typically? Please see photo below

<iframe allowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" class="imgur-embed-iframe-pub imgur-embed-iframe-pub-a-n9g3PZz-true-540" scrolling="no" src="https://imgur.com/a/n9g3PZz/embed?pub=true&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lespaulforum.com%2Fforum%2Fnewthread.php%3Fdo%3Dpostthread%26f%3D78&w=540" id="imgur-embed-iframe-pub-a-n9g3PZz" style="height: 500px; width: 540px; margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px;"></iframe><script async="" src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
The gap between the tenon and end of the pocket varies greatly throughout the Burst years.
However it does seem more common to have a wider gap in late 1960.

Here's 0-7448:

normal_Dscn2850.jpg

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
Is that pic in the original post from the newly found '60 in the other thread?

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
It seems they have a shallower trussrod route as well. I'd never noticed that until it was recently pointed out to me.

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
It seems they have a shallower trussrod route as well. I'd never noticed that until it was recently pointed out to me.

Necessary in the context of the shallower neck, I'm guessing. I recently had a '61 Dotneck develop a longitudinal crack along the back of the neck, due to the decreased amount of wood in the neck compared to a thicker neck--a sickening development, I can assure you...:fall

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
Necessary in the context of the shallower neck, I'm guessing. I recently had a '61 Dotneck develop a longitudinal crack along the back of the neck, due to the decreased amount of wood in the neck compared to a thicker neck--a sickening development, I can assure you...:fall

Ya, that would totally suck.

Joth

I believe thats the same timeframe they changed from the straight torsion rod to the more familiar curved truss rod, which also can appear to affect the position of the truss rod cover.

El Gringo

The gap between the tenon and end of the pocket varies greatly throughout the Burst years.
However it does seem more common to have a wider gap in late 1960.

Here's 0-7448:

normal_Dscn2850.jpg

Tom , is this still considered a long tenon ? or is there another term for it ? or is this a transition tenon ? I have seen this tenon before except there was no gap at the end of the tenon as it was tight . Would the 1960 Les Paul Custom's tenon look like this ? and the last Les Paul Custom's that shipped in early 1961

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Tom , is this still considered a long tenon ? or is there another term for it ? or is this a transition tenon ? I have seen this tenon before except there was no gap at the end of the tenon as it was tight . Would the 1960 Les Paul Custom's tenon look like this ? and the last Les Paul Custom's that shipped in early 1961

I don't know the technical terms for these. I always assumed this was still a "long tenon" but there are others who really know the answer. :)

marshall1987

Nothin' wrong with that neck tenon in post No. 1. It's possible there was some marginal wood at the end of the tenon that was sawed off in order to give the tenon a nice clean fit.

Building thousands of guitars a year, you are going to see some variation in the construction and assembly of Gibson factory made guitars. If the neck fitter believes the end of the tenon needs dressing, then I would think that they would go ahead and saw off the section of blemished or marginal wood. I don't see this as a design/spec change initiated by the engineering division.