• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Doug and Pat Show P90 Shootout #2

deytookerjaabs

My favorite clip of a P90 sized pickup came when I was scoping out one of those staple lollars years back, haven't gotten into one myself but the clip still holds up IMO:

:XRE

Probably be sacrilegious to put one in the neck of my FBIII but ya never know.

mdubya

I didn't think any of them came close to the vintage tones of the 50's Special or the Melody Maker, which I thought sounded awesome. Not sure how the experience was to play it, but it sounded freeeeking great. IMHO. :hank

I think some fat clean Deluxe tones and maybe even some fuzz might have been a better test for the P-90's. I love the Vox AC 10 they use, but it might not have been the best amp for the P-90's.

Xpensive Wino

My favorite clip of a P90 sized pickup came when I was scoping out one of those staple lollars years back, haven't gotten into one myself but the clip still holds up IMO. Probably be sacrilegious to put one in the neck of my FBIII but ya never know.

Jason Lollar is a national treasure. I've never encountered a bad design from him.

TM1

Having been one that "Beta Tested" the ThroBak P-90's a few years back, I think they sound the closest to the originals. I did side by side in my R-4 (Historic Makeovers) vs. originals. I have eight original 50's P-90's. I haven't heard any P-90's that are as close as the ThroBak's are to originals. Too bad that Gibson can't even get close to what they once built.. Why?

renderit

I put the Thrōbak P90's (actually a set of Specials at his recommendation) in this beasty. It sounds flat out awesome. It had Lollars. I loved them but they were too "nice". Very clear and piano-like. I wanted nasty.

35711536763_94e9fa1a2f_k.jpg

goldtop0

I put the Thrōbak P90's (actually a set of Specials at his recommendation) in this beasty. It sounds flat out awesome. It had Lollars. I loved them but they were too "nice". Very clear and piano-like. I wanted nasty.

35711536763_94e9fa1a2f_k.jpg

So as a result........do you think they sound like humbuckers.

marshall1987

All cool stuff.....however, I really can tell much of a difference through my MacBook's little speakers. They all sound the same to me.

That's one of the problems with these shootouts. In person there may be differences, but a YouTube video played through laptop speakers just doesn't tell you much.