• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Rusty Anderson ES335s, do you like them?

Progrocker111

I have some serious GAS for good ES335 and these seem to be great for their money. Owners of them, how do you like them? How are their custom version of Custombuckers? Are they articulate and dynamic? I dont like muddy pickups on ES335s.

Thanks in forward for experience sharing. :salude

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
I gotta be honest bro... I'm seriously considering one of these to keep my WH company... No bullshit! :peace2

nickster

I have RA and WH and the sound very different the WH is true early 60's neck, and more transparent sounding than RA. both are kick ass from Memphis the RA has a more warmer thicker tone IMO. big neck, I love em both, suits what I play: the blues and rock

sharky

I have RA and WH and the sound very different the WH is true early 60's neck, and more transparent sounding than RA. both are kick ass from Memphis the RA has a more warmer thicker tone IMO. big neck, I love em both, suits what I play: the blues and rock

I have no experience with the WH model though, but my impression on the RA is just like your's. Wonderful ES and great bang for the buck

1jamman

The RA's look like a fine guitar. Agree , for the $$$ , it should be a winner . I too am looking at 1 in the very near future .
If you don't like a set of Pups enough , change them . The guitar itself and it's build are the 1st important thing. Memphis ,imo has bee making some fine guitars lately . Imo a good time to buy 1 .

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Imo a good time to buy 1 .

Or two... :peace2

Can't speak for the RA, because it won't be here until Thursday, but the WH I own is really, REALLY good. In fact, it was the quality of the WH that convinced me to take a shot on the RA.

Anxiously awaiting it's arrival...

sharky

The RA's look like a fine guitar. Agree , for the $$$ , it should be a winner . I too am looking at 1 in the very near future .
If you don't like a set of Pups enough , change them . The guitar itself and it's build are the 1st important thing. Memphis ,imo has bee making some fine guitars lately . Imo a good time to buy 1 .

Memphis made a huge step up in quality, totally different guitars now. Good move

Progrocker111

Or two... :peace2

Can't speak for the RA, because it won't be here until Thursday, but the WH I own is really, REALLY good. In fact, it was the quality of the WH that convinced me to take a shot on the RA.

Anxiously awaiting it's arrival...

Congrats. :dude: Give us then the tone report and comparison. :)

SimonBarSinister

Had mine about a month and have been playing it non stop... Great Value for the money. I really love the custom pickups in it. Very balanced and more substantial feeling and sounding than I expected. Love the pressure that comes out of the F holes when playing through a cranked amp...

Wildwood just got a beautiful one in (there are a lot of nice ones in the recent run)

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/ra240.php?CategoryID=10&n=11

SBS

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
While you're deciding, here's a little somethin' to feed the fire... :salude

13799881004_a485980a3d_o.jpg

chuckNC

KennyF, you may be a special kind of evil. My wife could explain it to you much better than I could, though. :rofl

I think those two guitars are beautiful......but what do I know?

Last edited:

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
KennyF, you may be a special kind of evil. My wife could explain it to you much better than I could, though. :rofl

I think those two guitars are beautiful......but what do I know?

Thanks! :peace2

Kenny is that WH 199 from Sweetwater? That is one of the nicest ones I have seen

Yes it is...

Thanks! :salude

Beautiful 335s :dude: :salude

Thanks! Lovin' 'em... :salude

From one NE PA resident to another, you got some classy taste my friend.

Thanks brother... :salude

Where ya at???

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Okay... A few quick observations, while putting these two 335's through the paces...

Amp: Reinhardt 18 watt head into a Reinhardt 2x12 slant cab... No effects...

The BurstBucker 1 and 2 in the Haynes are a little hotter than the CustomBuckers in the Anderson. Maybe a little too hot for my taste, but lowering the bridge p/up a tad and being a little conservative on the guitar's volume control, kind of reals them back in... However, slamming the front end of my Reinhardt with a full signal from the Haynes bridge p/up does get a little foggy... The neck p/up is pure Warren lead tone. Crank it, grip it and rip it...

The CustomBuckers in the Anderson are really, really NICE! From clean to crunch, they really shine in this guitar... No matter how hard I push them, they deliver nothing but sweet tone and zero mud...

Clean... Both guitars do exceptionally well... The Haynes does more sparkly cleans... The Anderson does Richer cleans. Even through an 18 watt Marshall-esque amp...

At the end of the day, they're both great sounding guitars...

By the way... I went back a forth between these two guitars for nearly 8 hours today, and never once thought about the neck profiles... They both just feel great!