• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1983 Les Paul Spotlight Special Photos

MikeSlub

Administrator
A new Spotlight owner recently contacted me for photos of my 1983 Spotlight Specials, and since I took some new ones I thought I would post here for others who may be interested. The ANT (antique natural) models have brown multi ply binding, walnut headstock veneer, and large white button Schaller-like tuners. The ASB (antique sunburst) models typically have cream binding, black holly headstock veneer, and Kluson style tulip tuners. I have two ANT (antique natural) models and two ASB (antique sunburst) models, and one of the ASB models has features more typical of an ANT model (e.g., brown binding, walnut headstock, tuners, etc.) These were built in Nashville in 1983, although I have seen one with an early 1984 serial number. They have a strip of walnut in the middle, although I believe one of my ANT models has a mahogany strip. The tops were often not well bookmatched across the two halves, and that is evident from these photos. The story is that Gibson has some leftover strips of flamed maple that weren't wide enough for full tops. It would appear that they were mixing and matching materials on some of these, although that story of using leftover scraps has never been verified as the reason for this model. Medium size necks, Shaw PAFs, and they sound good and play very nicely. A cool part of Gibson history. Hope you enjoy the pictures. :hank

Slubowski_Spotlight_All_Four_Together_1.jpg

Slubowski_Spotlight_All_Four_Together_2.jpg

Serial No. 83 050
Slubowski_Spotlight_83_050.jpg

Serial No. 83 098
Slubowski_Spotlight_83_098.jpg

Serial No. 83 174
Slubowski_Spotlight_83_174.jpg

Serial no. 83 195
Slubowski_Spotlight_83_195.jpg

Example of back of headstock:
Slubowski_Spotlight_83_050_SN.jpg

Last edited:

JTinFL

You have some very special, and very beautiful Spotlights, Mike. In fact, you were kind of inspirational to me in buying mine. Here is my ASB #83 109, which was kind of bastardized when I found it, and I spent some time finding the right parts and rehabbing it (although I have made a couple of 'improvements' along the way, in the Faber bridge/tp and a 50's wiring harness). Along with it is my '08 CS Spotlight Flame prototype. It was the only one they didn't "ruin" with the wider walnut strip, and is likely the only Spotlight anywhere with a long tenon neck. I've recently changed parts to make it look truer to the original ANT's, but haven't made pics, yet. Enjoy, and thanks again, Mike!

j-t--albums-spotlight-flame-prototype-picture42487-dscf9516.jpg

j-t--albums-spotlight-flame-prototype-picture42491-dscf9531.jpg

JTinFL

BTW, Mike - the CS employee I bought my prototype from did make mention that the fiddleback maple used on the ANT's (and this guitar) was leftover from the stock used on the "The Les Paul" guitars. Had you heard the same?

MikeSlub

Administrator
BTW, Mike - the CS employee I bought my prototype from did make mention that the fiddleback maple used on the ANT's (and this guitar) was leftover from the stock used on the "The Les Paul" guitars. Had you heard the same?

JT - No, I haven't heard that, and since many of the ANTs have less/different flame than the Austrian maple used on The Les Paul, I don't believe that theory is correct. Also, there are so few Gibson employees that were around in 1983, and those that were don't have very clear memories from my conversations with many, and there is no documentation available. :wah :hmm

By the way, cool Spotlights! Congratulations and thanks for sharing! :dude: :2zone

JTinFL

JT - No, I haven't heard that, and since many of the ANTs have less/different flame than the Austrian maple used on The Les Paul, I don't believe that theory is correct. Also, there are so few Gibson employees that were around in 1983, and those that were don't have very clear memories from my conversations with many, and there is no documentation available. :wah :hmm

By the way, cool Spotlights! Congratulations and thanks for sharing! :dude: :2zone

I don't think the seller was in the world in '83, let alone working at the CS! :rofl Since you have both models, maybe you could sidle up to someone in the forestry dept. at UofC and get some free testing done. :biggrin: And as always, thank YOU for sharing. You're one of the coolest folks in the community! :applaude

Stevedenver

mine-
nowhere near as pristine-
bought it used, and at the time i was lucky as can be, a one line ad in the paper on a day i just happend to look at the ads-
called the seller left work and got cash and bought it-all within an hour-i was so excited

its yellowed and had some heavy use, from me too,
as i really love to play it-the shaws, with RS pots and caps now, and the fat neck and frets just are great-balls as well as cut

indeed the tops were unique-used to put me off-like some strange topo map-but ive come to love its unorthodoxy too
spotlight2012006.jpg

and some details

002-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

the board on mine at least was very light, but with use, has a much nicer color and patina, and as you can see, the guitar has its signs of wear-but i love it

001-2.jpg

spotlight2012005.jpg

i always like show and tell when i can play!

i do believe i too have one of those with mahog in the center, dont you? don thtink ive ever seen wlanut with the tiny pores like mine has on the strip and headstock
those gibsons guys, just whatever is in the kitchen sink eh!

of course anyone in the know about these will tell you that the tonal superiority of the mahog versus walnut is dramatic......

i mean after all this is the LP forum......LOL

Last edited:

MikeSlub

Administrator
mine
indeed the tops were unique

the board on mine at least was very light, but with use, has a much nicer color and patina, and as you can see, the guitar has its signs of wear-but i love it

i always like show and tell when i can play!

i do believe i too have one of those with mahog in the center, dont you? don thtink ive ever seen wlanut with the tiny pores like mine has on the strip and headstock
those gibsons guys, just whatever is in the kitchen sink eh!

of course anyone in the know about these will tell you that the tonal superiority of the mahog versus walnut is dramatic......

i mean after all this is the LP forum......LOL

Steve, that is an awesome ANT Spotlight! Thanks for sharing! :dude:

Did you put the speed knobs on it? :hmm

Stevedenver

Mike:

love your bursted one with dark binding.

the dark binding is rather unique among LPs-the only others i can think of is the Tak and the recordings

mines 057
your 195 seems to also have mahog by my eye-guess the numbering has little to do with woods, features etc-or there was a big pile of lumber used willy illly-yours seems to have found an amazing matched top-a rare example indeed

No, I didnt replace the knobs, it came that way from the seller. Theres a nice screwdriver tip mark under one of the pots where he used it to remove the original knobs.

While i have often thought about changing them back, i find the speeds much easier to roll because of the large size.
And because its less than perfect, i just live with it and play it, although the RS kit makes a big difference in high end. Mine had very dull dark sounding pots-perhaps 250 instead of 300s-really muddy.

While i was aware of the spotlights guitar from the Bacon LP book, at the time, around 93-94 i think, I had no idea how scarce these are, nor did the seller.

The seller had just bought a new Jeff beck strat, and had to sell this.

The ad , as i recall, under instruments read simply-"Spotlight" $1100 cash only."

I couldnt get there fast enough. It was also the first time i had seen a protector case. Oh the joys of exploring LP acquisition.

Glad he didnt put in "Les Paul".

JT:
the proto is gorgeous -you are a very lucky guy to have that one-that looks like the first runs-just beautiful-and....matched top!!!

sooooooooooo, did Gibson use Mike's to model yours?????????they look like sisters, and sexy ones at that LOL

Last edited:

JTinFL

Mike:

love your bursted one with dark binding.

the dark binding is rather unique among LPs-the only others i can think of is the Tak and the recordings

mines 057
your 195 seems to also have mahog by my eye-guess the numbering has little to do with woods, features etc-or there was a big pile of lumber used willy illly-yours seems to have found an amazing matched top-a rare example indeed

No, I didnt replace the knobs, it came that way from the seller. Theres a nice screwdriver tip mark under one of the pots where he used it to remove the original knobs.

While i have often thought about changing them back, i find the speeds much easier to roll because of the large size.
And because its less than perfect, i just live with it and play it, although the RS kit makes a big difference in high end. Mine had very dull dark sounding pots-perhaps 250 instead of 300s-really muddy.

While i was aware of the spotlights guitar from the Bacon LP book, at the time, around 93-94 i think, I had no idea how scarce these are, nor did the seller.

The seller had just bought a new Jeff beck strat, and had to sell this.

The ad , as i recall, under instruments read simply-"Spotlight" $1100 cash only."

I couldnt get there fast enough. It was also the first time i had seen a protector case. Oh the joys of exploring LP acquisition.

Glad he didnt put in "Les Paul".

JT:
the proto is gorgeous -you are a very lucky guy to have that one-that looks like the first runs-just beautiful-and....matched top!!!

sooooooooooo, did Gibson use Mike's to model yours?????????they look like sisters, and sexy ones at that LOL

$1100?!? Wow, what a bargain! You did very, very well.

There are some differences with the prototype - the binding is a lighter brown, and single-ply (both neck and body), like they eventually did with the Spotlight Flames. It does remind me of Mike's in that the maple is pretty closely matched, but that's probably just happenstance. Most of the Spotlight Flames I've seen are, as well. Mike's, I see, has a much tighter and more evenly-spaced grain pattern.

davwir

Wow.. Mike, your four are all amazing..
I love the Spotlights!
Heres my two.. #83 156 and #83 166.. it took me years to find them!

Spotlights_web.jpg

Gary64

Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I'd love to chime in on all the Spotlight post. I'm fortunate enough to be a owner like many of you. Any information you need I'm sure I can get you correct-precise honest info on any of the Spotlight Lps. My Dad retired from Gibson. My brother also was employed there for 15 yrs. I'll try & post a pic of mine

Kris Ford

Hello all. I'm new to the forum. I'd love to chime in on all the Spotlight post. I'm fortunate enough to be a owner like many of you. Any information you need I'm sure I can get you correct-precise honest info on any of the Spotlight Lps. My Dad retired from Gibson. My brother also was employed there for 15 yrs. I'll try & post a pic of mine

Oh man, prepare yourself for a SHIT TON of questions!!:peace2 (and not just about these!)
What years did they work there?
Nashville or Kalamazoo?

Strings Jr.

davir, According to my Log Book, I built your 83 156 on July 21st, 1983 at the Nashville plant. It was the fourth guitar I built that day.

6a41430f-4ccb-4bf1-b8e2-572e4be685e7_zpsvf3ui4mi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Spotlight%2083%20156_zps6icwbkek.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

davwir

Wow.. That is way cool, thanks for sharing that!
And good work!

Can you elaborate on what the additional text outside the serial number represents?

Strings Jr.

Wow.. That is way cool, thanks for sharing that!
And good work!

Can you elaborate on what the additional text outside the serial number represents?

Sure. Spec #120 was an internal model code for that guitar with that finish. Spec. is an abbreviation for "Special". The other finish was Spec. #119. That was during a time when there were several "Special" models being made. CSE is an abbreviation for Custom Shop Edition (referring to the decal). Of course there was no Custom Shop in Nashville at that time. These guitars ran down the line along with everything else.

Strings Jr.

One of the perks of working in the plant was that you got first shot at the best tops. This is 83 105. My brother, who also recently joined this forum, got to come inside the plant and choose between this one and another one that looked just as good.

20150227_174941_zpswjigtpr9.jpg
Gary's Spotlight 83 105.jpg

Last edited:

Gary64

Anybody have any idea what Spotlights are worth these days? I'd never sell mine but always good to know