• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Official CS-356 and 336 Registry (post your pics here)

clayville

Hi Clayville, that means that the one I have my Eye on is from 2008. One owner. He's willing to let her go for 2.250,- € EUROS !! Is that A fair price in your opinion ? Any idea what kind of PU's they put in them in 2008...?? Thanks for your help !! Greets, Arne.

Easy one first: CS-356's came with '57 Classics in 2008 (and in almost all cases). They sound great in these guitars in my opinion.

Translating to US dollars, that's about US $2500 which is close to the middle of Reverb's price guidance and lower than many recent reported sales there (search their Price Guide, then click on one of the models for recent sales) so it seems like a fair asking price to me. In my opinion much would depend on condition and any maintenance issues it might have: Do the frets still have life in them? That's the most expensive issue you might encounter. On the other hand, the bigsby models were originally about $400-500 more than the non-bigsby models as I recall (assuming this one isn't an after-market bigsby added to it) so that makes the asking price seem even more fair. You don't mention the color, but some of the figured maple and quilted maple ones were priced about $800 higher when new, and the natural finish ones tended to be offered at that premium figured/quilted maple price point (about US $3800-$4200 when new in that time frame).

Do you have photos of the one you're considering? There have been a few counterfeit 356s I've run across over the years... None of us could tell you for sure if it's authentic, but it's easier to spot something that just looks "wrong".

For what it's worth, because the back and sides are all part of one solid slab of mahogany which is then routed to create the sound chambers and center block, in my experience CS-356s and CS-336s often have asymmetrical figuring on the back (mine does, shown in post #160 of this thread) - it isn't book matched like the top and it's functionally not an issue. I mention that so you don't worry about it if yours does too.

I hope that helps... Good luck!

Last edited:

Ernie

Easy one first: CS-356's came with '57 Classics in 2008 (and in almost all cases). They sound great in these guitars in my opinion.

Translating to US dollars, that's about US $2500 which is close to the middle of Reverb's price guidance and lower than many recent reported sales there (search their Price Guide, then click on one of the models for recent sales) so it seems like a fair asking price to me. In my opinion much would depend on condition and any maintenance issues it might have: Do the frets still have life in them? That's the most expensive issue you might encounter. On the other hand, the bigsby models were originally about $400-500 more than the non-bigsby models as I recall (assuming this one isn't an after-market bigsby added to it) so that makes the asking price seem even more fair. You don't mention the color, but some of the figured maple and quilted maple ones were priced about $800 higher when new, and the natural finish ones tended to be offered at that premium figured/quilted maple price point (about US $3800-$4200 when new in that time frame).

Do you have photos of the one you're considering? There have been a few counterfeit 356s I've run across over the years... None of us could tell you for sure if it's authentic, but it's easier to spot something that just looks "wrong".

For what it's worth, because the back and sides are all part of one solid slab of mahogany which is then routed to create the sound chambers and center block, in my experience CS-356s and CS-336s often have asymmetrical figuring on the back (mine does, shown in post #160 of this thread) - it isn't book matched like the top and it's functionally not an issue. I mention that so you don't worry about it if yours does too.

I hope that helps... Good luck!

Hi Clayville,

thx for the very extensive reply...
The color is (wine?) red & judging from the online pics, the maple top isn't very "figured" but rather plain... I tried (but failed) to download the pics so here's the link to the online ad where I found the guitar... (hope that works?)

http://link.2dehands.be/m1489944878...ium=android_social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons

clayville

Hi Clayville,

thx for the very extensive reply...
The color is (wine?) red & judging from the online pics, the maple top isn't very "figured" but rather plain... I tried (but failed) to download the pics so here's the link to the online ad where I found the guitar... (hope that works?)

http://link.2dehands.be/m1489944878...ium=android_social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons

I see nothing that makes me think this isn't a real CS-356 in those photos. There's a little bit of flame/figure in that top, but that's the standard cherry red used on 356's I believe. For price estimating, I think you can ignore all I said above about fancy maples and more rare finishes - but the bigsby perhaps adds a couple hundred dollars of value compared to non-bigsby versions. Said another way, I think the presence of the bigsby makes this seemingly "middle of the market" asking price seem fair to me since you might expect to see a seller ask "slightly higher than the middle" for a 356 with a bigsby. I hope that makes sense.

But... I've never shopped for one in Europe! :spabout

Ernie

I see nothing that makes me think this isn't a real CS-356 in those photos. There's a little bit of flame/figure in that top, but that's the standard cherry red used on 356's I believe. For price estimating, I think you can ignore all I said above about fancy maples and more rare finishes - but the bigsby perhaps adds a couple hundred dollars of value compared to non-bigsby versions. Said another way, I think the presence of the bigsby makes this seemingly "middle of the market" asking price seem fair to me since you might expect to see a seller ask "slightly higher than the middle" for a 356 with a bigsby. I hope that makes sense.

But... I've never shopped for one in Europe! :spabout

Hi Clayville,

Thx again... I'm torn between the 2008 CS356+Bigsby (2250€), a nice 2008 CS336 (SN# CS 101431 (@ 1700€) OR a mint 2015 "Lemon Burst" Memphis ES Les Paul with the "MHS" p.u.'s...The ES LP & the 336 do not have a Bigsby.

I already own a (2014) CS LP "Florentine" & don't know if there will be a big sonic difference with the ES LP...??? From what I have already read on the forum I gather that the 336 & 356 are virtually identical soundwise (right??)
Up to me to decide if a fancy binding + ebony board + Bigsby is worth the extra 550€ I guess... 🙄🙄🙄
I Would really appreciate your thoughts / suggestions on the ES LP vs the 336/356...???

Greets from Antwerp! Arne.

Ernie

Hi Clayville,

Thx again... I'm torn between the 2008 CS356+Bigsby (2250€), a nice 2008 CS336 (SN# CS 101431 (@ 1700€) OR a mint 2015 "Lemon Burst" Memphis ES Les Paul with the "MHS" p.u.'s...The ES LP & the 336 do not have a Bigsby.

I already own a (2014) CS LP "Florentine" & don't know if there will be a big sonic difference with the ES LP...??? From what I have already read on the forum I gather that the 336 & 356 are virtually identical soundwise (right??)
Up to me to decide if a fancy binding + ebony board + Bigsby is worth the extra 550€ I guess... 🙄🙄🙄
I Would really appreciate your thoughts / suggestions on the ES LP vs the 336/356...???

Greets from Antwerp! Arne.

Forgot to add: The ES LP from 2014 would be 1600€...

clayville

Though guitars vary from one example to the next even when they're the same model, generally 336's and 356's have identical construction - only differences are the cosmetic ones you're aware of already (gold hardware, ebony fingerboards at this time, block inlays, three-ply binding on the 356). I really like the size and weight of the 336/356 design. A bigsby makes the one you're considering somewhat heavier, but probably still well under 8 lbs.

Sonically 356's and 336's both fall somewhere in between 335's and LP's. Mine seems to have more of a "scooped" sound than the usual midrange strength of a 335 or an LP - it's strong in the lows, can be a bit brighter than a 335/LP player might expect, and can sound almost like a Tele on the bridge pickup sometimes. But there's a lot of versatility and a wide range of tone available from just twisting the knobs, and I've used mine for everything from blues to rock to jazz to funk over the last 16 years.

Mine sounds woodier and more open than a chambered LP, but I've never played a Florentine or an ES LP so I can't compare them to a 356 (or to each other).

Last edited: