• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Dusty's got a vintage BK

JimR56

Dusty Ciggaar, that is. He's been using Fenders (especially his favored Tele) almost exclusively for more than a decade, but in the latest videos he's using a vintage Kessel regular. Sounding good to me!

JimR56

That was fun!
Glad you enjoyed it! For those who aren't familiar, Dusty is a great young player from the Netherlands. He's been at it since he was very young (I think the term "prodigy" probably applies here), so he's already quite a veteran. He plays in multiple bands (The Rhythm Chiefs; The Dry Riverbed Trio; Ian Siegal Band), and is in demand a lot to sit in with others, as in the video above. He excels in all forms of American "roots" music, and is a technical monster.

There are hundreds of videos of him on youtube. Here's one of his best, a take on Hank Garland's "Hank's Dream" from 2014:

JimR56

The young man sounds great, appears to have a feel for the music and is enjoying himself! Can’t ask for more than that y’all! :peace2
I mentioned his technical mastery, but neglected to really focus on what you mentioned, Rab. His feel for the music. To me he's like a jazz master in terms of the way he changes it up (beautifully, I might add) every time, and he gigs a LOT, and there are tons of videos out there. I've heard about a dozen versions of the above Garland tune, and they all groove and swing, and not only do his solos vary greatly, but the way he states the theme involves a lot of tasty spontaneity. He's also one of the best rhythm players I've seen in years. He pays attention, and listens carefully to all of his bandmates, and if you watch his eyes you know he's always seriously tuned in to what's going on around him (in front or behind). He's just a great young musician.

I started a thread about him last year on another forum, and posted a lot of video links. Rather than post them all here, I'll just link that thread. Check it out: http://gretschpages.com/forum/players/the-dusty-ciggaar-thread/57831/page1/

TM1

Nice! I use to own a `63 BK Regular but foolishly traded it even for a R-8 Historic about 8 years ago.. Don't get me wrong, the R-8 was amazing especially after Kim & his guys at Historic Makeovers got done with it, I just miss having a big Jazz box. But.. The BK's neck was very thin front to back, thinner than alot of SG's were from that period..

mdubya

Proper drum kit.

The BK looks and sounds great, too.

RJ Ronquillo has one which he makes sound incredible.

There have been a few Norm's videos with a couple of great sounding BK's lately, too.

:yah