• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2013 Les Paul Tradtional VS 2018 SG

Thrane

Hi,
I'm Stucked between a used 2013 LP Traditional and a 2018 SG Standard.
The price is about the same 1400 USD (Converted from Danish kroner).

I'm leaning towards the LP becasue of the non-weightrelief and big neck.
But i also like the crisp sound of an SG.

Ofcourse this has to be my own choice,m but maybe you guys has some hands on experienxe with both models.

Thanks.

tonyj

Hi,
I'm Stucked between a used 2013 LP Traditional and a 2018 SG Standard.
The price is about the same 1400 USD (Converted from Danish kroner).

I'm leaning towards the LP becasue of the non-weightrelief and big neck.
But i also like the crisp sound of an SG.

Ofcours this has to be my own choice,m but maybe you guys has some hands on experienxe with both models.

Thanks.

Both will have their own strongpoints, the Traditional being the heavier perhaps.

Do you know which pickups were installed in the two models that you are comparing? This to me should help in determining which one I might like best. I am a big fan of the LP Standards, which of course the Traditional is (or was), but the SG may also be a nice guitar.

Of course, if you are able to play them side by side, you will find it easier to make a decision....and as far as the 'crisper' sound of the SG, - well, that might be a matter of control knob adjustment, or a brighter set of pickups.

....... Best wishes, and let us know what happens.

Thrane

Both will have their own strongpoints, the Traditional being the heavier perhaps.

Do you know which pickups were installed in the two models that you are comparing? This to me should help in determining which one I might like best. I am a big fan of the LP Standards, which of course the Traditional is (or was), but the SG may also be a nice guitar.

Of course, if you are able to play them side by side, you will find it easier to make a decision....and as far as the 'crisper' sound of the SG, - well, that might be a matter of control knob adjustment, or a brighter set of pickups.

....... Best wishes, and let us know what happens.

Thanks for your reply.
The 2013 comes with 57's pickups. I don't remember the SG.
How was the build quality in 2013 regarding LP's?

mdubya

You obviously need both.

The difference in feel of playing them is bigger than the tone difference IMHO. Which one do you want to be stuck playing, more?

As an SG guy (they are just more comfortable to play for me), I would rather be stuck with that as my only guitar, even though I do love to play a Les Paul that has a particular tone.

Phil McKnight just posted a video covering the 2018 SG. The playing isn't great, but the video is informative regarding spec. Sounds like 2018's are pretty decent guitars. Likewise, I would consider 2013 to be a generally good period for Gibson.

Thrane

You obviously need both.

The difference in feel of playing them is bigger than the tone difference IMHO. Which one do you want to be stuck playing, more?

As an SG guy (they are just more comfortable to play for me), I would rather be stuck with that as my only guitar, even though I do love to play a Les Paul that has a particular tone.

Phil McKnight just posted a video covering the 2018 SG. The playing isn't great, but the video is informative regarding spec. Sounds like 2018's are pretty decent guitars. Likewise, I would consider 2013 to be a generally good period for Gibson.

Thanks for your reply.
Makes sense.

Thrane

Thanks to all for replying.

I have read/seen many places that Gibson from 2015 and forward offers the best build quality. I dont know if that is the case, but how is 2013 vs 2015 in terms of quality?

grimlyflick

Thanks to all for replying.

I have read/seen many places that Gibson from 2015 and forward offers the best build quality. I dont know if that is the case, but how is 2013 vs 2015 in terms of quality?

Quality wise there’s nothing between them, although the 2015 has the wider neck, zero fret nut, etc.

captainvideo

I had a really nice 2013 Traditional. The only issue I had was worrying if the fretboard was two pieces as to the 2012s supposedly were.
I sold it for an R8.

RicOkc

You can't always go by what's posted on websites concerning the " 2012 double layered" fret-boards. You can always call Gibson and ask customer support if thy are layered.

I had two 2012 Les Paul Trads. and I had the nuts on both replaced with bone nuts. I asked the luthier who installed the bone nuts to check the fret-boards and to let me know if they were layered and to take photo's if they were.

Neither of the Les Pauls had the notorious double layered fret-boards.