• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Hollowbody Creaking from Strap

mkeditor

I have a vintage hollowbody that the strap is causing a creaking dould like a tall ship at sea. I'm considering putting felt on the strap where it touches the body. Anyone have experience with this problem?

jhmp

Are you wrapped around the head stock or have a button behind the neck.
-try not resting your arms weight on the body but let it float. top will vibrate more also...

mkeditor

Are you wrapped around the head stock or have a button behind the neck.
-try not resting your arms weight on the body but let it float. top will vibrate more also...

I ended up getting a sheet of felt that is sticky on the back from Michael's craft store. It solved the creak.

strapfix.jpg

garywright

Cool idea ! ..did that add any firmness ? ...I ask as I've got an original Ace X and Os strap that has super thin leather ends and am wondering if this would help to add support ..as it is, I'd be afraid to use it with anything other than an acoustic

renderit

That is a soooo much better idea than what I was going to suggest (which was a fiberglass shirt)!

mkeditor

Cool idea ! ..did that add any firmness ? ...I ask as I've got an original Ace X and Os strap that has super thin leather ends and am wondering if this would help to add support ..as it is, I'd be afraid to use it with anything other than an acoustic

It's soft felt, so not really much stiffer. The strap buttons are short on the Silvertone. Therefore it couldn't be much thicker. If your guitars can, then you might try the felt pads from a hardware store to stick on the bottom of things to not scratch surfaces. Those are stiffer. Just don't rely on the glue to hold up the guitar.

coldblood

Good idea for the sheet of felt. Had once a leather strap that meleted the finish of my instrument. Never put your gutiar strapped in the case.

Last edited:

jhmp

regardless of being in the case, many leather finishes will cause the nitro to peel right off.