• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Can someone explain this 335 to me?

bscepter

I ran across this '69 on eBay and Reverb. It appears to be a TDC with a strange gold overspray. The seller wants $9k, which seems insane for a '69, when they regularly go for $5k and under. What's the deal?

Or is it just super-faded? The cherry shows up under the pickup rings and other hardware like it was faded in a blast furnace.

oxxhd3z9tbemxrmzhhoj.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Looks like a very faded Burgundy Sparkle [Gibson's version of Candy Apple Red]. :)

bscepter

So... if this is a legit Burgundy Sparkle ES335 - is it worth double the price of a typical '69 TDC? (I have a '69 TDW that I love, by the way. But I paid under $3k for it).

bscepter

No. (Like, no way. ~$3.5K - unless you really like it.)

I looked at the guy's other auctions. He has an 80s Strat going for like $17k, so I think he may just be a wee bit deluded on price. Glad to see it's legit though!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I ran across this '69 on eBay and Reverb. It appears to be a TDC with a strange gold overspray. The seller wants $9k, which seems insane for a '69, when they regularly go for $5k and under. What's the deal?

Or is it just super-faded? The cherry shows up under the pickup rings and other hardware like it was faded in a blast furnace.

oxxhd3z9tbemxrmzhhoj.jpg

The guitar in you link is not this guitar in the photo [which I replied about]! :bigal

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
D’oh! Link fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

That changes things, as regards to pricing. This one seems very over priced.
But the seller correctly noted the color. You might have mentioned that in your first post. :ganz

MeHereNow

First time i see humbucker "goof hider" rings btw.
I've seen the p90 type hider , the diamondshaped strapbutton hiders and the "washerring" hider under the stoptail inserts but never these.
Learning something new everyday :salude