• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Upgrade Plastics Comparision Thread

Brian H

Vintage Haven tips perfectly installed on Crazyparts aged Klusons that Steve touched up a bit. They're awesome and have a slightly tighter feel than the stock Historic tuners.

Thanks again, Steve!

tuners1.jpg

tuners2.jpg

tuners3.jpg

tuners4.jpg

fakejake

After reading into upgrade plasticparts here and on other forums I'm a little confused: are the Montreux parts the same as Fatboy? Seems so to me...

Hot_Snake

Mark / Fatboy was a retailer for some Vintage Clone parts rather than Montreux ...
Mark made his own parts.
Montreux plastics look really nice and are less expensive than DMC / Area 59.
Had a lot of Montreux parts on my R8, i replaced the M69 rings by an OTP set and the pick guard by a MojoAxe. I still have their poker chip, jack plate and knobs.

RR82

So whats a set of aged OTP rings going for today and who sells them?? Just curious:hmm :salude

orangedrop

I just spotted the "AOA Creme Mounting Rings" at Crazy Parts, they cost 39 EU - which is nice compared to OTP.
Are there any camparison pictures out there? I think they look a bit too yellow? not bone... :wah

Brian H

Retrospec vintage length studs and bushings, Pigtail bridge, EC Collins bone saddles, Retospec bridge studs and wheels, Throbak butyrate pickup rings and pickups, 60's knobs and switch tip, Montreaux selector ring, MojoAxe pickguards. For fun, bone nut made by Elliot at Erlewine's guitar shop. He also did the saddles, studs, setup.

hsg1.jpg

hsg2.jpg

hsg3.jpg

hsg4.jpg

hsg5.jpg

hsg6.jpg

hsg8.jpg

hsg9.jpg

hsg10.jpg

hsg11.jpg

AndyMan

Les Paul Forum Member, Classic Club
Here's some low-tech for you.

The stock historic pguard on my R7 was warped all to hell because of how it was installed and the mounting arm placement. I had no other projects needing attention so I thought I'd get this straightened out after being annoyed by it for a couple of years.

I took off the guard and put it in some nearly boiling water for a few seconds then took it out and held it bent in the shape it should be until the plastic cooled. I did this several times to finally get the guard flat. I then put it on the guitar after bending the mounting arm so there'd be no more warping. It looked good.

Better than good, in fact, when I realized that it was now shades lighter than it was before the bath. I don't have before/after pics because I didn't know this fading would happen. But I did still have the poker chip in its original historic shade so I gave it a bath as well. If you do this, don't leave the ring in the water too long or it will warp and you'll have to flatten it which is a pain.

So here are the pics. The boiled ring is installed and an extra historic ring is alongside for comparison.

waterrings1.jpg

waterrings2.jpg

waterguard.jpg

THIS is awesome! Anyone else try boiling their stock Gibson plastic to lighten it up? Looks great in these photos, at a cost of ZERO!

Minibucker

I tried it on the poker chip, but it didn't really seem to make a difference. Left it in for about a minute....maybe I should have left it more or less?

Ulli

Here is a Vintage Haven switch ring (installed) next to a DMC Pokerchip:

2dr7wog.jpg

What you can't really see in the pics, is that the DMC is pretty 'pinkish' while the VH ring actually has a kind of bone colour to it.

6p875j.jpg

Last edited:

Classic

Here's (poor quality) pictures of the new switch ring from Over The Pond Guy (Vintage Haven). I'll get some more with a proper camera shortly.

Seriously, this is the best ring I've seen - plastic, colour, font and stamping. For reference, the pickup rings are OTPG and pickups are Wolfetone Legends.

5FD75DA1-101D-46D1-8403-E9201C923F7B-10565-00000B4EACBD58C8.jpg

6F438FC5-2369-45E5-A65E-A0E911C9E9AD-10565-00000B4D536C72FF.jpg

2B2D455B-9CD8-4F8D-ACBA-36B39FCCD0CB-10565-00000B4D4BCC5057.jpg

MeHereNow

Japanese switchring, cheap as air, uninstalled next to an installed Gibson historic ring.
Compare the Jap with some "high end", specially produced, vintage accurate rings..

mario61099.jpg

mario61100.jpg

AndyMan

I just got a set of gold knobs from RS - MUCH nicer than the stock brown amber knobs! Here is a comparison...

image_zpsf5127011.jpg

AndyMan

Retrospec vintage length studs and bushings, Pigtail bridge, EC Collins bone saddles, Retospec bridge studs and wheels, Throbak butyrate pickup rings and pickups, 60's knobs and switch tip, Montreaux selector ring, MojoAxe pickguards. For fun, bone nut made by Elliot at Erlewine's guitar shop. He also did the saddles, studs, setup.

hsg1.jpg

hsg2.jpg

hsg3.jpg

hsg4.jpg

hsg5.jpg

hsg6.jpg

hsg8.jpg

hsg9.jpg

hsg10.jpg

hsg11.jpg

This is one sweetly appointed SG!! Nice!