• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Picks/plectrums

MagicBus

I was wondering what everyone is using, don't think it's been discussed in a while. I'm currently using Ultex standard . 88 or 1mm or a Hero Holy Grail for most things but have bought a couple of Chicken picks to have a go with.

bursty

I have been using a 0.8 mm stainless Pick Boy for nearly ten years; as long as I never lose it I will never need another pick, ever

I do have a backup supply of Fernandes 0.8 mm stainless, just in case

J T

InTuneGP

Custom made for you.

I used heavy celluloid printed with my custom design. Those guys save your design and can print them up whenever you need them. They are so cool. The heavy weight really gives me control and lets me dig in when I want.

BUT I've been finger picking lately and got more used to the faster finger style.

Thundermtn

I used to play an Ultex, now I'm on .73 or .88 Dunlop Primetone's. Same ballpark as ultex but a little different bite/attack with texture dots for amazing grip even when you're sweating.

MagicBus

Up until a year ago I'd been using 1mm Dunlop nylons. I then embarked on a pick exploration journey which has been fascinating and worthwhile :hank

The Shifter

Green Dunlop Tortex Sharps.

I tried to quit 'em but I kept coming back.

Sometimes HercoFlex 75's.

Don

Fender 358 extra heavy. These are the little dime size picks.

sonar

Dunlop Tortex Standard .88mm. “The green ones.”

They are a constant and superfluous item mixed amongst pocket change.

MagicBus

Uh oh, I've got some Planet Waves heavy celluloid and Dunlop extra heavy celluloid coming now. Decided to have another go at celluloid because I found this and it sounds really good with my R8 :hank
bDaT66.jpg

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Orange Tortex for electrics.

Home made tortoise like materials for acoustic. sourced from ebay jewelry pieces that were very popular tourist items up into the 70s.

JLee

Been using the Tortex Jazz M3 for years. Started using them when I first started to learn and have used them ever since. Tried other picks and it’s never long before I come back to the Tortex. Probably have enough to last me till I die, but I can never find them when I sit down to play.

jrgtr42

I mostly use Dunlop Tortex .73 - the yellow ones.
I do have a ton of picks that I've accumulated over the years, from extra thin to 3.0 stubbys.
Over the past couple years I have made more of an exploration into different thicknesses and materials - .2mm carbon fiber, metal, stone, glass, wood, faux-tortoise, and so on and so on. I've determined that within a given stiffness, the materials sound much different on acoustic guitar, slight differences on clean electric, and all but unnoticeable on distorted electric.
All that said, 'home' is still those Tortex .73s.

Iguana

For electric it’s mostly been classic red Dunlop Jazz iii picks but a few months ago I tried a 1.5 mm Jazz iii tortex. I find the 1.5 gives me an even smoother rounder attack which is what I like. For acoustic I prefer a celluloid with the typical “Fender” shape. Medium or heavy works for me.

reswot

Green .88 Tortex for most things.

Tried the blue 1.0 mm picks, but find them too heavy, in general. They’re great, though, for a dread strung with .013s.

toxpert

Hotel key cards for me. My son gave me a Pick Punch several years ago.
I ask for 3 card keys at every hotel stay. Each card makes 4 picks. Medium-hard stiffness in a typical 351 style shape.

I have hundreds of picks now. Picks are pouring out of my gig bag. They are all over the house. I leave a pick debris field behind at every gig....

The punch leaves a sharp, sheared cut to the edge which is perfect for my picking style and the tone I want.

If I drop a pick...no problem...there always another 15-20 within reach.

sonar

Hotel key cards for me. My son gave me a Pick Punch several years ago.
I ask for 3 card keys at every hotel stay. Each card makes 4 picks. Medium-hard stiffness in a typical 351 style shape.

The punch leaves a sharp, sheared cut to the edge which is perfect for my picking style and the tone I want.

If I drop a pick...no problem...there always another 15-20 within reach.

Hotel key cards? Intriguing... are they generally stiffer than credit cards?

I was also given a Pick Punch for Xmas years ago (think I still have it?) but I don't go through that many expired credit/bank cards to make it worthwhile.

I have hundreds of picks now. Picks are pouring out of my gig bag. They are all over the house. I leave a pick debris field behind at every gig....

Ha!

They end up everywhere! Not only shows and practice, but random friend houses, the office, the CTA L... I actually saw a faded green tortex pick in the parking lot of a hot dog stand I frequent.

MagicBus

Thanks everyone who responded, pick choice is personal and very diverse. I had a eureka moment at my last band rehearsal when I tried a Dunlop Heavy celluloid pick. In contrast to the Fender Heavies I'd previously tried out, the Dunlop lasted the whole rehearsal, felt good on the strings and sounded really, really good.