• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Volume Pot Problem

dscayton03

I was just tightening up my pots and started playing. I realized that with the neck pick up with the volume turned all the way up, little to no sound was coming out of my amp. I started turning the knobs trying to see what was up and come to find out, turning the pot to max does not give me max volume. Instead my "10" volume is about halfway. My "0" is still at 0. My max is at about "5". So basically as I turn up the volume, it goes up then back down by the time it is at 10. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? It was working fine until I tightened down my pots. I have a Epi Les Paul 100.

PaulD

It sounds like the pot may have been damaged, did you have to use a lot of force pulling the control knob off? This could have damaged the pot. Try pulling the knob up and down a bit while playing to see if this has any effect. It may be that the pot will need replacing, the standard pots on Epiphones are not very good quality.

GeraintGuitar

My expierence tells me that you have broken a connection inside the control cavity by tighting the nut , did you take the control cavity cover of and the hold the pot in place while tighting ?
I think the actual pot itself is probably ok , don't freak out its a pretty easy fix , easier than replacing the pot itself.
open her up and check the neck volume has all the same connections as the bridge vol , look for loose wires or capicitor leg

PaulD

My expierence tells me that you have broken a connection inside the control cavity by tighting the nut , did you take the control cavity cover of and the hold the pot in place while tighting ?
I think the actual pot itself is probably ok , don't freak out its a pretty easy fix , easier than replacing the pot itself.
open her up and check the neck volume has all the same connections as the bridge vol , look for loose wires or capicitor leg

A broken connection would be unlikely to cause the symptoms the OP describes, if either the wire from the pickup or the switch were broken there would be no output at all, if the capacitor connection was broken that would just cause the tone control not to work.

GeraintGuitar

A broken connection would be unlikely to cause the symptoms the OP describes, if either the wire from the pickup or the switch were broken there would be no output at all, if the capacitor connection was broken that would just cause the tone control not to work.

Im really sorry , it was really late here in the uk so i was very tired so i read the first sentence and jumped to the wrong conclusion
, my apologizes to the OP and you for not reading the post correctly in the first place .

PaulD

Im really sorry , it was really late here in the uk so i was very tired so i read the first sentence and jumped to the wrong conclusion
, my apologizes to the OP and you for not reading the post correctly in the first place .

No problem, no apology necessary. :)

In fact that was my first thought when I saw the question, it was only when I read what the symptoms were and gave it some thought that I realised a broken connection was unlikely to be the cause.